Thread: Sunbeam 6910 from nightmare to bliss

Sunbeam 6910 from nightmare to bliss

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Thought I would share my experience with everyone breaking in my new sunbeam 6910. I think I found out the difference between pressurised and unpressurised baskets :).

Ive a little Sunbeam EM3600 for about a year now and I think pretty muched pushed it to the limit as far as the quality coffee I could get from it. As I live in Wollongong it doesnt take much to wow your friends with the quality of coffee even from this little machine. Up until recently all our coffee shops would all serve that horrible excuse for a cappuccino with 2 inches of foamy scum floating on the top *:(. Mind you we now have some real coffee emerging with shops like Lee & Me and 2 or 3 others who are taking coffee to a new level. (Reminds me I must add Lee & Me to the list of places that have good coffee)

Anyway back to the story... I purchased a Sunbeam 6910 that according to the owner had only been used once or twice for $270. I already have the EM0480 grinder so I figure I got myself "entry level" machines so I can start making some real coffee. The new machine arrives and I unpack it and set it up pull the first shot that goes through in a 5 seconds and smells awful. So I turn the grinder down to about 3 the shot slows down down but then smells and tastes rancid and bitter. Anyway to cut a long story short I spend the next 4 hours trying everything i can think of ....grind finer...gring courser...tamp harder...tamp lighter...clean the machine end to end coffe still tastes like crap bitter, rancid horrible. Obviously through all of this I am all over the bulliten boards here trying to find out whats gone wrong. Very disappointed and convinced that the machine is a dud I give up for the day....(coffee ran out..I had a laugh)

Next day at work I had a little time during lunch and so I jumped on here again and luckily stumbled upon a link to a website that had a 4 or 5 page description of how to load the basket properly and proper tamping technique. I went home with this new found knowledge and hey presto I suddenly had proper pressure the shots were just ok but I was over the moon.

I figure if you can make drinkable coffee you have plenty of time to fine tune. I have since taken advice from this site and only buy fresh roasted beans and made a few more adjustments and I must say I am totally wrapped with the results.

I now have my CS roaster started kit and I have just upgraded my wifes breadmaker so that I can steal the old one and next stop is roasting for me 8-).

I havent been able to find the link again as I went over so many pages on here but thankyou to who ever posted it and to all the other coffee snobs for the great advise you share on this site.

Regards
    Paul

A_M

Re: Sunbeam 6910 from nightmare to bliss

Quote Originally Posted by 4C5D49504F485D55524F5E450A0E3C0 link=1257809857/0#0 date=1257809856
    Thought I would share my experience with everyone breaking in my new sunbeam 6910. I think I found out the difference between pressurised and unpressurised baskets :).

Ive a little Sunbeam EM3600 for about a year now and I think pretty muched pushed it to the limit as far as the quality coffee I could get from it. As I live in Wollongong it doesnt take much to wow your friends with the quality of coffee even from this little machine. Up until recently all our coffee shops would all serve that horrible excuse for a cappuccino with 2 inches of foamy scum floating on the top *:(. Mind you we now have some real coffee emerging with shops like Lee & Me and 2 or 3 others who are taking coffee to a new level. (Reminds me I must add Lee & Me to the list of places that have good coffee)

Anyway back to the story... I purchased a Sunbeam 6910 that according to the owner had only been used once or twice for $270. I already have the EM0480 grinder so I figure I got myself "entry level" machines so I can start making some real coffee. The new machine arrives and I unpack it and set it up pull the first shot that goes through in a 5 seconds and smells awful. So I turn the grinder down to about 3 the shot slows down down but then smells and tastes rancid and bitter. Anyway to cut a long story short I spend the next 4 hours trying everything i can think of ....grind finer...gring courser...tamp harder...tamp lighter...clean the machine end to end coffe still tastes like crap bitter, rancid horrible. Obviously through all of this I am all over the bulliten boards here trying to find out whats gone wrong. Very disappointed and convinced that the machine is a dud I give up for the day....(coffee ran out..I had a laugh)

Next day at work I had a little time during lunch and so I jumped on here again and luckily stumbled upon a link to a website that had a 4 or 5 page description of how to load the basket properly and proper tamping technique. I went home with this new found knowledge and hey presto I suddenly had proper pressure the shots were just ok but I was over the moon.

I figure if you can make drinkable coffee you have plenty of time to fine tune. I have since taken advice from this site and only buy fresh roasted beans and made a few more adjustments and I must say I am totally wrapped with the results.

I now have my CS roaster started kit and I have just upgraded my wifes breadmaker so that I can steal the old one and next stop is roasting for me 8-).

I havent been able to find the link again as I went over so many pages on here but thankyou to who ever posted it and to all the other coffee snobs for the great advise you share on this site.

Regards
    Paul

Would this be the page - http://home.surewest.net/frcn/Coffee/HowToEspresso.html

If so then save this link http://home.surewest.net/frcn/Coffee/Coffee.html and you can navigate to many other good tips..

Just remember with teh EM 6910..

1: Fresh beans
    2: Non preasurised baskets
    3: Double basket only
    4: SB sweet spot
    5: 5 cent piece test

IF you need to find out more about any of the said items then the CS search feature is good if you know how to use it - see http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1257241858

This is a different link but looks like its got lots of great info I will check it out tonight when I have more time.

In the mean time thanks for the 6910 tips. Im already on to the 1st three but I will definately check out the last 2

Im assuming the SB sweet spot is in realtion to pressure?

Paul

Congratulations, Paul and welcome to the very long and expensive journey of good coffee @ home!

As a previous happy owner of the 6910, I feel your joy!

:)

Cheers
    Di

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by 3E2F3B223D3A2F27203D2C37787C4E0 link=1257809857/2#2 date=1257908056
    certainly is!

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 78697D647B7C6961667B6A713E3A080 link=1257809857/2#2 date=1257908056
    This is a different link but looks like its got lots of great info I will check it out tonight when I have more time.

In the mean time thanks for the 6910 tips. Im already on to the 1st three but I will definately check out the last 2

Paul
    If ya search on SB sweet spot... One of my earlier posts explains the theory as to why it is what I call the sweet spot...

It is also an attempt to get people to understand that all equipment is different and that gauges are an indicator for each machine and the values... Be it a grinder or Coffee machine will not be the same across all.

[split] [link=http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1259380984/0#0][splithere][/link][splithere_end]