Thread: Silvia drip tray

Silvia drip tray

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

I recently upgraded to a 2009 Silvia (best move Ive ever made). One thing I have noticed is the tiny size of the drip tray.

Just wondering if anyone has ever come up with a suitable mod to get around this problem? One idea I had was to drill a hole in the back of the tray and adding a suitable fitting and a hose to drain it into the sink or (even better) straight under the bench and into the dishwasher fitting on the drain pipe of the sink. It seems like a relatively simple mod, the only downfall would be removing the tray to clean it. Also, if it didnt work I could simply replace the tray or plug the hole.

If anyone has any other suggestions it would be greatly appreciated, especially after the disapproving look my wife gave me when I suggested drilling a hole through the kitchen bench >:(

Thanks,

Paul.

Re: Silvia drip tray

Hey Paul,

Might not be what you had in mind, but I just use a plastic container ontop of it. So when I flush the group etc I do it into the plastic container. Doesnt look pretty and involves a bit more mucking around but saves me having to empty the tray so often.

I did consider and try a syphon set up at one point (ive got an older silvia with some circular holes that fit small tubing through, but that was short lived.

Cheers,

Sanchia

Quote Originally Posted by 4D5C48515E5C503D0 link=1259185684/0#0 date=1259185684
    Hi All,

I recently upgraded to a 2009 Silvia (best move Ive ever made). *One thing I have noticed is the tiny size of the drip tray. *

Just wondering if anyone has ever come up with a suitable mod to get around this problem? *One idea I had was to drill a hole in the back of the tray and adding a suitable fitting and a hose to drain it into the sink or (even better) straight under the bench and into the dishwasher fitting on the drain pipe of the sink. *It seems like a relatively simple mod, the only downfall would be removing the tray to clean it. *Also, if it didnt work I could simply replace the tray or plug the hole.

If anyone has any other suggestions it would be greatly appreciated, especially after the disapproving look my wife gave me when I suggested drilling a hole through the kitchen bench >:(

Thanks,

Paul.
    Morning Paul,
    Make emptying a cleaning the drip tray part of your daily ritual, easy, and as Sanch said, flush into a plastic container.
    You could fit a drain but would then face the situation of having to disconnect it to wash out the accumulated sludge in the drip tray anyway, I reckon daily cleaning is a far more satisfactory and hygienic way to go.

The Silvia drip tray may be smaller than some, but it is adequate for the intended use of the unit, and as noted above, things will be more hygienic, and smell nicer if it is emptied and rinsed out each day.
    If you are having a party and serving a relatively large number of drinks, it might surprise you how much it can hold.

Definitely dont try to attach a drain pipe. The tray still needs to be removed to clean the gunk and slime....much easier to just empty it and rinse it daily. Then whenever you do a full chemical clean of the grouphead, etc, give the drip tray a quick rinse out with some of the cleaning solution and it will come up like new.

The tiny drip tray is my major disappointment having recently upgrading to the Silvia. It is my experience that Italians generally get the basics right, but skimp on the details, and convincing them that their product could be improved, or may benefit from development, is an exercise in pure futility (1st hand experience).

I also use a plastic container to catch most of the water, but this is a pain and usually results in spillage and general mess.

My long term plan was to put a hole in the base of the driptray, and let the water flow through the chassis into a larger tray. This would require something like the Rancillio Silva/Rocky base unit for the machine to sit on with a removable draw. Not a small modification, but the best I have come up with so far...

Quote Originally Posted by 2D3F303D365E0 link=1259185684/1#1 date=1259193667
    Hey Paul,

Might not be what you had in mind, but I just use a plastic container ontop of it. *So when I flush the group etc I do it into the plastic container. *Doesnt look pretty and involves a bit more mucking around but saves me having to empty the tray so often. *

I did consider and try a syphon set up at one point (ive got an older silvia with some circular holes that fit small tubing through, but that was short lived. *

Cheers,

Sanchia
    This is what I do, its a little bit of extra mucking around but its worth it.

Hi All,

Thanks for your suggestions. I do empty and clean the tray daily anyway, but thought a drain set-up may make the run out the door to work a bit quicker, making a full clean more of a weekly task.
    I will consider my options in the meantime and may come up with something a bit more practical. I will definitely be using a plastic container for flushing etc.

Thanks,

Paul.

Hi Paul, when I had my Silvia I purchased a plastic serving tray and sat Silvia in that so that if I forgot to empty drip tray and *it overflowed it went *into the tray and not onto the counter, worked for me and saved me lots of agro from the war office ;) ;) ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 332631313A39353A540 link=1259185684/7#7 date=1259224527
    Hi Paul, when I had my Silvia I purchased a plastic serving tray and sat Silvia in that so that if I forgot to empty drip tray and *it overflowed it went *into the tray and not onto the counter, worked for me and saved me lots of agro from the war office ;) ;) ;)
    Thanks GM,

Very useful tip

Excellent advice for this Coffee Slob,
    I wonder how many cursing cleanups it would have taken for me to reinvent the wheel?

I insist on bundage everywhere else, must have a blind spot.

Cheers
    Lindsay

I had a laugh..... ;D

A bund for the espresso machine. Now, thats original.... ;)

Mal.

Yep Silvias drip tray is just a drip tray, like everyone else I just use a bowl, not a problem for me as The Divine Miss S is beside the sink. :)

Quote Originally Posted by 6A7F686863606C630D0 link=1259185684/7#7 date=1259224527
    Holy cow, you guys are giving me delusions of grandeur, have had a Silvia for many years and never had the drip tray overflow, MT it daily, easy. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 20352222292A2629470 link=1259185684/7#7 date=1259224527
    Hi CSrs,

I have a very tight inconvenient spot for grinder and espresso mac. Dont have a Silvia but am yet to take a bath in my G.Carezzas drip tray and make a habit of overfilling water reservoir etc. etc. and guess what surprise, surprize, the tray bund works with the G. girls too.
    Much easier in my situation to take my bench(tray) to the sink for clean than visa versa, not only bundage but portable bench.
    Not new ideas but new application for one thoughtless coffee slob.
    Full marks to GM and thanks for sharing this simple and easily overlooked solution to a recurring problem that I thought I could only manage with elbow grease and cursing.

Kind Regards
    Lindsay

I just use the knock box for flushing, you dont get to look at the nice pucks youve been making but only have to empty the drip tray once a week