Thread: Investing in a new machine

Investing in a new machine

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Everyone,

Apologies, this has likely been asked and answered many times, but Im not entirely sold yet on which way to go. Im ready to get a new machine in the mid-range.

Ive already got a burr grinder - the Sunbeam EM0480 (so I want manual or semi automatic machine) and from what Ive read here and elsewhere the main leaders are the Silvia or Gaggia Classic? Correct me if Im wrong, I havent dug into either brands as yet.

Steam pressure/pump is not that important as I dont use much milk personally. Dont mind having to maintain the machine that much (one "maintenance cycle" per month would be preferred).

Im happy to spend time practicing and tuning my skills with a new machine, so please, I welcome advice, recommendations! FWIW, my current machine is a manual Krups, ~$250 model nothing flash.

Re: Investing in a new machine

Tonight we hit some of the retail "usual suspects", the range for non-auto machines was, as expected, pretty thin, though Myer has the Gaggia Classic at $599.

Im keen to check out the Silvia range, time to hit Google I guess!

Where do you live
    We probably know a stockist of Silvia close to you

You could look at the Lelit Combi

KK

Hi,

Were up on the Gold Coast, not far from Helensvale.

Ive been doing some research. Looks like the Silvia is a serious machine - excellent! I wonder if getting one pre-PIDed is the way to go? Id like to experiment with temperature surfing, and by the sounds of it a PID is an essential item (rather than copious testing)?

Can anyone compare it to the Gaggia Classic?

brett230873

Quote Originally Posted by 647076776A67050 link=1259832865/3#3 date=1259858363
    Can anyone compare it [Silvia] to the Gaggia Classic?
    Sure can: Gaggia = Good/Silvia = Better

If happy with that, stop reading here!

To cure insomnia, read on:

Friends have had the Gaggia and I had a Krups 4100. All purchased from Myer and sold by a pretty girl who must have known stuff... surely... cause she was pretty and nice and well spoken and nice and had a great set of equipment on display and she seemed to know the equipment (still talking coffee stay with me) very well!

Three suckers left with purchases that continued a journey albeit at the higher end of the naivety index.

I quickly saw the error of my way when the Sirens song had faded from memory and upgraded to Silvia. Friends stayed with Gaggia. All machines worked moderately hard however, the Gaggias both started to require expensived service/parts at about the 5 year mark. Silvia required.... cleaning, water and freshly ground coffee.

One friend is so disillusioned with the Myer purchase, refuses to move on and is sadly talking of ending it all... and buying a bloody Nespresso!!!! This should give us all pause for thought (I never thought Id loose one of my own).

Never had the PID however would have loved to have had one to play around with. Silvia makes great coffee (family owns reasonable cafes in FNQ so have an okay reference point.... their coffee is simply awful) once you learn her idiosyncrasies, and these are fairly quickly negotiated by your average snob.

If it was my money, I wouldnt put a PID in a less than really robust machine and Id also have a sponsor do the job and warrant it! A little extra money guarantees a far happier experience.

Keep us... posted!

Cant comment on the Gaggia Rob, however owned a Silvia for about 8 years, it was a well built trouble free machine that made excellent coffee.
    Have only upgraded in the past month and Silvia promptly found a new home with minimal effort on my part.
    Would I recommend a Silvia? in an instant. :)

Quote Originally Posted by 342026273A37550 link=1259832865/3#3 date=1259858363
    Were up on the Gold Coast, not far from Helensvale.
    I am not sure if Supreme Roasters in Yatala has Silvia but if travelling to Brisbane you can see and use a Silvia at Barazi Coopers Plains

KK

Hi Guys,

Thanks, this is excellent feedback. Seems to be well supported by other communities/websites too. Im sensing the Silvia is a great long term investment (if cared for). Youd better believe Im curious. Now, to get a look at one.. :)

Im going to do some checking around to see if I can find some place open tomorrow (a Saturday! In Brisbane!) to acquaint myself with the fine product.

Thanks for all the responses! Ill post back with what I can find out..

Looks like the Silvia is a serious machine - excellent!
    Been using ours on a daily basis for over two years yes it is a serious machine, but take into account its limitations when catering for more than 4 at a time, doesnt worry me unduly, Im not running a cafe.
    I wonder if getting one pre-PIDed is the way to go?
    Cost of PID tends to bump price of new Silvia up a bit so its worthwhile to see what else is around in the price range. Rather than PID to start with have a read of this Thread lots of info there. If Silvia suits your needs I reckon just adding a thermocouple will get you off to a good start add mods later but go for the PID to start with if you wish it all comes down to how much you can afford to throw at it.
    My modded Silvia is described here and very nice it is to.