Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By A_M

Thread: Repair to Sunbeam EM 6910

Repair to Sunbeam EM 6910

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    My Sunbeam EM 6910 has just had some repairs done to it . It is a lovingly cared for 15 month old machine that makes on average 2-4 cups a day.

The brew lock had to be replaced. An anti drip something or other! and the boiler unblocked.

Does anyone know if this is normal for this machine. It was repaired by an agent for Sunbeam and he said that it was unusual for the brew lock to need replacing as usually its the seal that goes first. In this case the seal was fine.

Re: Repair to Sunbeam EM 6910

By "brew lock" do you mean the "group head"?
    The bit you lock the handle into?

If yes then AM will tell you youve been overdosing.

Which basket do you use and how far from the top is the coffee after youve tamped it?

I dont think its unusual.
    I had one replaced a year ago and the new one could do with replacing soon, however it is used more than your one.

P.S. *They dont have a boiler. Did you mean thermoblock?

P.P.S. Did Sunbeam tell you which agent to take it to? Only some are trained/allowed to repair the 6910.

Quote Originally Posted by 222B3915282F2B244A0 link=1259839385/0#0 date=1259839385
    The brew lock had to be replaced. An anti drip something or other! and the boiler unblocked.
    What is a brew lock ??

Is what you describe as a brew lock - the metal lock tabs one finds on the group handle and inside the group head

I hate to tell you, from what I have read, it happens frequently

KK

Hi both & thanks for your replies. Yes I mean the group head.(The repair guy called it a Brew Lock). I use the double filter basket and have overfilled a couple of times but try to keep it below the basket rim so that I just get the slight indentation of the shower screen screw on the top of the coffee. Is this too full? It cost me $148 for the repairs, and I dont particularly want to have to replace it too often!

Quote Originally Posted by 525B4965585F5B543A0 link=1259839385/3#3 date=1259840708
    Is this too full?
    Sounds OK.

Quote Originally Posted by 6E524F545E5F485D555E3A0 link=1259839385/1#1 date=1259839997
    P.S. They dont have a boiler. Did you mean thermoblock?

P.P.S. Did Sunbeam tell you which agent to take it to? Only some are trained/allowed to repair the 6910. *

The guy that repaired it wrote BOILER on the invoice. He was not there when I picked it up so I couldnt ask him all the details. Yes the agent was recommended by Sunbeam and is on their list of service centres.
    I have only used the machine once since I picked it up yesterday and the portafilter is much tighter in the group head. The handle only turns to the centre of the machine now and not to the right. Im assuming that will loosen up with time.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 7E77654974737778160 link=1259839385/5#5 date=1259842819
    The guy that repaired it wrote BOILER on the invoice. He was not there when I picked it up so I couldnt ask him all the details.

Yes the agent was recommended by Sunbeam and is on their list of service centres.
    I have only used the machine once since I picked it up yesterday and the portafilter is much tighter in the group head. The handle only turns to the centre of the machine now and not to the right. Im assuming that will loosen up with time.
    AND

Quote Originally Posted by 7E77654974737778160 link=1259839385/3#3 date=1259840708
    Hi both & thanks for your replies. Yes I mean the group head.(The repair guy called it a Brew Lock). I use the double filter basket and have overfilled a couple of times but try to keep it below the basket rim so that I just get the slight indentation of the shower screen screw on the top of the coffee. Is this too full? It cost me $148 for the repairs, and I dont particularly want to have to replace it too often!
    1: Boiler ?... That term and that it is on the invoice would have me asking questions...

2: Not really... If you thinking a week or two... or even a month or more... As teh handle moves further to the right... It is telling you there is some ware / stretching of the collar or the seal is stuffed.

3: About 3mm down.. The indent should be after you run ya shot... If ya lock it in and then unlock it.. You should not see any marks.. Thats why you do the 5 cent piece test..

If you seeing an indent prior to running a shot... your OVERDOSING and will streach / stuff teh collar sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the advice AM. I will make sure I dont overdose in the future. Havent done the 5 cent thing yet but will before my next brew.

I have a gammy shoulder and it is hard to always get the tamp just right.
    Should I make the grind finer as I can only tamp very gently or should I just rely on my partner to do the tamping. Have tried that before but I find I lose the whole rhythm of making the coffee.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 5F56446855525659370 link=1259839385/7#7 date=1259920793
    Thanks for the advice AM. I will make sure I dont overdose in the future. Havent done the 5 cent thing yet but will before my next brew.

I have a gammy shoulder and it is hard to always get the tamp just right.
    Should I make the grind finer as I can only tamp very gently or should I just rely on my partner to do the tamping. Have tried that before but I find I lose the whole rhythm of making the coffee.
    Play with ya grind...

I found that with a particular bean... I could grind extra fine and tamp very lightly and get great shots... A change of bean would see it all go west... So to speak.

It is trial and error..

Thanks AM. Will do.

Replaced at 10 months for me, with the same amount of usage. *I think the brew lock is a term covering the portafilter and the collar it sits in.

Ya, when my 6900R was in for repairs, the authorised agent (whole other story right there!) also fixed the collar. He actually thought that maybe the group handle had some metal in it which wasnt as soft as the collar, and so was wearing the collar down each time we locked it in.

Either way, I think its a ridiculous thing to have repaired >:/

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 3039333C3B3E30550 link=1259839385/11#11 date=1261792208
    Ya, when my 6900R was in for repairs, the authorised agent (whole other story right there!) also fixed the collar. He actually thought that maybe the group handle had some metal in it which wasnt as soft as the collar, and so was wearing the collar down each time we locked it in.

Either way, I think its a ridiculous thing to have repaired >:/
    Yes we all agree.. ;)

But if you treat it right with the correct dose and do not over tighten... Of teh 4 I have had and used... Only one had a bad collar... And that was as I got it second hand.. one is staill at work and gets used every day.. 2 and bit years and still going strong... Any one overdoses and or gets over the top when locking in.. Get their arms broken OR get tolsd to use their left hand.. >:(

If dosed correctly.. It is the same as locking in with no coffee SIMPLE... If ya put coffee in and its tight and you have to force it... THEN think about it.. :-?

The coffee must be in contact with teh shower screen.. This is also then adding an extra tamp and restricts water flow.. WRONG way to go.. Tight is not always better ;D

Oh, it also stuff teh collar.. This seems to be a surprise for some... ::) ::)

If ya over dose and have to force a comercial machine.. Over time you will stuff the collar and or the lugs as well..

PEBFAG.
    Shortie likes this.