Thread: 6910 vs Silvia(2009)

6910 vs Silvia(2009)

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Im about to buy myself a Christmas present. Yay hooray!
    Wondering if people have thoughts on the new Silvia (most reviews Ive read are of pre 2009 models)? Do they release a new Silvia each year?

Ive read through the great, and in-depth review/comparison of the two here http://www.coffeetamper.com.au/kb/reviews/sunbeam-silvia/

I was leaning toward the 6910 as its on offer at around $750** with a free decent quality domestic grinder...all up a decent kit for under $800. However the longevity of the Silvia, steam and temperature consistency certainly add some appeal in that direction, but the (roughly) $855 price tag - without a grinder - makes a pretty big chunk difference.

So, Im hoping people can offer advice either way.

Initially Im going to have the machine at work (3 person office) as I dont really want to share good homemade coffee with my housemates (long story.) Post being at work, and depending on how it all works out itll probably move it home(whichll be a new home), or I might invest in another machine for home.

I like my coffee, but Im not at expert or barista status yet, as much as Id like to be. I basically want good coffee, made easily - but with some room for research/play with brewing and texturing.
    I also really like the idea of a decent grinder to work side by side, to experiment and play with the variables...really getting to understand grinds in the mix.

Again I seem to be tending toward the 6910...but how soon would I potentially "out grow" it?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

**Edit - with a bit more online reasearch, seems I can get the 6910 for less than the previously quoted 750, so...that might sweeten the deal som.

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Re: 6910 vs Silvia(2009)

Hey there!,
    There arent many differences between pre and post 2009 models, 3 hole steam tip and wand and some new knobs, so the info you have read is relevant, remember the 6910 doesnt have the greatest track record as far as reliability goes, im sure youve seen that in your seach for info, as far as im aware it produces good coffee, but the silvia will win hands down for build quality every time, bullet proof, and will produce amazing coffee with practice, i had one, loved it, installed a PID to narrow the dead band and it was great, the only reason i upgraded was demand, the family demanded more coffee ;D

For ease of use, id prolly pick the 6910, but for quality and potential.......id go the silvia, im biassed though ;)

IMHO

cheers
    warren

Reading between the lines of your post, it seems you dont have a grinder at the moment, correct? If not, you will need to factor one into your budget, preground coffee jut doesnt cut the mustard.

The 6910 can be a good machine and can make excellent coffee, you just need to treat it with respect (dont overdose the group handle and regular maintenance), the Silvia equally is a good machine (and likewise will need to be treated with respect, proper cleaning etc).

Where the 6910 will partner quite happily with the 0480 grinder, from what I have read on here, it is indicated that the Silvia needs a better quality grinder (Rancillio Rocky or better) so add about $4 - 500 on top of the machine price).

have had my 6910 for 2 years now, a few blown seals aside, it remains a good machine. As per another thread, my collar is starting to show signs of wear but it is still fully operational.

If you get the best quality grinder you can afford now, this will see you through your machine upgrades (if you feel you have outgrown it).

Sen

interesting. yeah I basically want someone to make the decision for me. Im sure Ill be happy either way. Id definitely feel more "pro" with a Silvia.

whats this PID, I see it mentioned a bit but never explained.

thanks for the reply by the way.

Paul

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 4C7F6A7C7F7979671E0 link=1260148658/0#0 date=1260148658
    Initially Im going to have the machine at work
    Hello Ratbaggy,

I honestly think that your expectations are unrealistic...
    [*]A single boiler machine will break because someone will forget to prime the boiler after texturing milk- leading to $$$ repairs[*]A 6910 will break beacuse its an appliance and thats what many of them do

In an office, you really need a HX machine if you want longevity and ease of use- and staff are paid to work, not muck around for 5 min on the machine each time they want a coffee!

If the budget doesnt allow for the right gear, get a grinder and a french press. Use great coffee and you will get a great result...

Dont forget that you have Mr Sheen (aka Kev) on your side with a contribution if you buy decent stuff.

Good luck ;)

A_M

Both of these comments are on the ball.. But like always we make assumptions...

Quote Originally Posted by 43476178787D62757A140 link=1260148658/1#1 date=1260150099
    For ease of use, id prolly pick the 6910, but for quality and potential.......id go the silvia, im biassed though *
    And

Quote Originally Posted by 47717A75607B66140 link=1260148658/2#2 date=1260150221
    The 6910 can be a good machine and can make excellent coffee, you just need to treat it with respect (dont overdose the group handle and regular maintenance), the Silvia equally is a good machine (and likewise will need to be treated with respect, proper cleaning etc).
    Thus when reviewing your expectations

Quote Originally Posted by 467560767573736D140 link=1260148658/0#0 date=1260148658
    Initially Im going to have the machine at work (3 person office) as I dont really want to share good homemade coffee with my housemates (long story.) Post being at work, and depending on how it all works out itll probably move it home(whichll be a new home), or I might invest in another machine for home.
    You will need to take on the advice of 2mcm as he makes some very true comments as to *what will / can happen when others use ya machine etc. *Regardless of what type it is..

This should not put you off... But it is somthing you need / must be aware of..

Just ask TG what happens with his Em6910 at work and or when he goes on leave etc..

No worries paul,

A PID is a device which cycles your boiler to hold a set temperature, the problem with Silvia is the deadband, meaning the temperature at which teh boiler turns on and off, eg on at 88C and off at 106C.....and it cycles up down up down, so when you hit brew.......its hard to know what temp water is flowing through your coffee, unless you gronk your silvia or PID, the pid will, as previously described, turn your boiler on and off to hold the temp at a pre set temperature.

Have a look around around the Brewing Mid-range section, there is tonnes of info on both machines, including gronging and some info on pidding as stickys

cheers mate
    warren

sorry 2mcm, should have explained the work setup in more detail...were a collaborative design studio. No employees. And yeah, while we are here to make money and paid to work...5 minutes for a good coffee is fine.

Paul,

I spent much time deciding between the Silvia and 6910 for home, and ended up with the Silvia. This is a great machine, but I dont think it would be the best for an office.

Maybe I havent worked out the most efficient method, but I dont think 5 minutes is a realistic amount of time to use Silvia properly. Not when you factor in regular refills of the small water tank (no visual level indicator), regular empties of the small drip tray (no visual level indicator), temp surfing/waiting for steam and general cleaning.

I think the 6910 would be quicker/easier to use in an office environment, bearing in mind the durability issues if not properly maintained.

I also think grinder is key if you want good results, but maybe you should consider a combo also? (Lelit/Imat/Nemox, Breville Fresca, etc...)

Simon

Hi. I have a 6910 in my office. My company is a small development house so the culture is probably a lot like yours. Long hours but the staff are well looked after and good coffee keeps them happy. The 3L water container is very useful and for those who drink tea the hot water spout (once the temp has been raised 4 degrees on the main thermoblock) makes great tea bag tea without having to wait for kettles to boil. Everyone winns. Showing the guys how to grind/dose the group was not hard and everyone got the idea quickly. Being able to use the single/double shortcut buttons makes it easy for new players but everyone moves to manual pooring eventualy. In an small office environment I would definately recomend this machine.

Quote Originally Posted by 69697F7461727D67130 link=1260148658/9#9 date=1260159119
    Hi. I have a 6910 in my office. My company is a small development house so the culture is probably a lot like yours. Long hours but the staff are well looked after and good coffee keeps them happy. The 3L water container is very useful and for those who drink tea the hot water spout (once the temp has been raised 4 degrees on the main thermoblock) makes great tea bag tea without having to wait for kettles to boil. *Everyone winns. Showing the guys how to grind/dose the group was not hard and everyone got the idea quickly. Being able to use the single/double shortcut buttons makes it easy for new players but everyone moves to manual pooring eventualy. In an small office environment I would definately recomend this machine.
    That was my first post btw.....woot!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2B2B3D3623303F25510 link=1260148658/10#10 date=1260159161
    That was my first post btw.....woot!!!
    That was your second! ;D

Hes either working on his own or shares an office with a handful of employees... i think a Silvia would be a good choice given that he should have reasonable control over how the machine is used.

Im not sure about steaming on the Silvia, is it better than the 6910?