Thread: Sunbeam 6910 and 0450 / Gaggia Classic and Rocky

Sunbeam 6910 and 0450 / Gaggia Classic and Rocky

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone, *Im new around here, although I have lurked a bit over the past few years. *Im currently looking to get rid of my unreliable 5-yo Gaggia Synchrony, and getting something purer... a no-frills espresso machine and a decent grinder. *I make milk-based coffees at home, almost always just one or two cups, and my wife likes frothed milk for her late night hot chocolate. *I guess I make three or four cups toal a day.

I have been thinking of a Gaggia Classic, probably paired with a Rocky. *The Silvia sounds beautiful, but for a small number of cups, and not much time between getting out of bed and leaving for work, I thought the Gaggia sounded more practical. *Very interested in the various mods to tweak the Classics results. *Im

But reading around more today, Im intrigued by this line of Sunbeams. *The 6910 seems to have a lot of fans, and Im attracted to its more user-friendly aspect (important for my wife). *And the EM0450 grinder (if it really is functionally identical to the EM0480) sounds like a steal. *So thats a pairing Im definitely considering... 6910/0450. *My only real concern is the suggestions about reliability. *I have the okay right now to spend a few hundred dollars on coffee, but if I have to spend again in a couple of years, that would be a bad look.

At the moment, I guess Im looking out for good buys on ebay, etc, and that might end up determining the final choice. *Sad, but true. *So... a couple of questions... if ended up with a Classic, would the SunBeam grinder be a real weak link? *Anyone have the complete SunBeam pair have any words of warning or encouragement?

I thought Id just add my questions to this thread, as it seems to

thanks heaps
    LB

brett230873

Re: Sunbeam 6910 and 0450 / Gaggia Classic and Rocky

For the same or similar price, look at the Nemox Dell Opera or equivalent from the sponsors <---------------]. This way you are getting an Espresso Machine and equivalent Espresso Grinder (with Silvia/Rocky reliability) and not an appliance and the associated quality control issues. Also, by buying from a sponsor you guarantee yourself a good experience in regards to after-sales and troubleshooting service as opposed to a SuperAuto/Sunbeam experience, which can also be good...

Quote Originally Posted by 537A7A5D5D1F0 link=1260330913/0#0 date=1260330913
    The 6910 seems to have a lot of fans,
    Also a lot of detractors Lee, seems to me the most dissatisfied group are sunbeam owners, problems are many and Sunbeam service is slow and expensive.
    Will probably cop some flack over this but just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by 68545D4550310 link=1260330913/2#2 date=1260339884
    Will probably cop some flack over this but just my thoughts.

Well Jon W I guess that depends on whether you have owned one and therefore how much weight your input carries.

It is really difficult to tell the ratio of good to bad experiences with Sunbeam 6910s as Coffeesnobs is found by a lot of who are having a problem, and this is their only reason for popping up. Many users arent involved in this forum so to do an analysis of good experience vs bad experience using Coffeesnobs as the data sample is just plain guesswork.

I know of 4 owners in my local area who have never had a problem with their machine and so have never visited this forum as a case in point. I think they need to, to learn about coffee, but that is off topic ;).

For mine, ours has been great. Of course there are better machines out there but on a bang for buck basis you cannot really complain about it at all.

as far as I know the free grinder (EM0480) deal is still on as well, making it super attractive. Machine, grinder, DVD and free lesson for less than $800, and from some reports considerably less.

Buy a 5 year extended warranty for just over $100 and rest easy.

Relatively...

Quote Originally Posted by 747C646E73170 link=1260330913/3#3 date=1260344111
    It is really difficult to tell the ratio of good to bad experiences with Sunbeam 6910s as Coffeesnobs is found by a lot of who are having a problem, and this is their only reason for popping up. Many users arent involved in this forum so to do an analysis of good experience vs bad experience using Coffeesnobs as the data sample is just plain guesswork.

I know of 4 owners in my local area who have never had a problem with their machine and so have never visited this forum as a case in point. I think they need to, to learn about coffee, but that is off topicWink.

For mine, ours has been great. Of course there are better machines out there but on a bang for buck basis you cannot really complain about it at all.

as far as I know the free grinder (EM0480) deal is still on as well, making it super attractive. Machine, grinder, DVD and free lesson for less than $800, and from some reports considerably less.

Buy a 5 year extended warranty for just over $100 and rest easy.

Relatively...
    Extremely sound advice.

I have to second this. If you take out the extended warranty you are getting a very attractive option. I too have friends with this setup and they have been very happy and experienced no problems. Both took out extended warranties. I also have a friend who works for a retailer selling these machines. Feedback from him was that problems do happen, though half the time it is user error and not the machine. He also said that backup from Sunbeam on warranties has been very good, no complaints.
    He always recommends extended warranties, but hey when he worked for me many years ago, it is what I trained him to do, and do well. Salespeople earn commissions on extended warranties, finance etc so naturally will push this at all opportunities. I would take this option on any coffee machine that is not built like a tank, as it offers great piece of mind.
    With my luck things always go wrong just after the warranty expires!!

Quote Originally Posted by 636B737964000 link=1260330913/3#3 date=1260344111
    Well Jon W I guess that depends on whether you have owned one and therefore how much weight your input carries
    Nope never owned one Cksyd, simply an observation, never owned a Chev Corvair either (thank goodness)
    Heres an interesting review comparing the Sunbeam 6910 and Silvia. :)
    http://www.coffeetamper.com.au/kb/re...unbeam-silvia/*

Thank you all VERY much for your help. It seems, however, that fate has intervened, as I just managed to pick up a Gaggia Classic on ebay for $207. I dont know if Im being an idiot, but I have my fingers crossed that its in reasonable condition. Hopefully, at that price, my wife wont get to upset when I start modding ;-)

Now... can I convince her that $500 is a reasonable amount to spend on a coffee grinder ;-)

THanks again for all your help. Im sure Ill be back again when it arrives.
    LBB

Quote Originally Posted by 4F66664141030 link=1260330913/6#6 date=1260359926
    Thank you all VERY much for your help. *It seems, however, that fate has intervened, as I just managed to pick up a Gaggia Classic on ebay for $207. *I dont know if Im being an idiot, but I have my fingers crossed that its in reasonable condition. *Hopefully, at that price, my wife wont get to upset when I start modding ;-)

Now... can I convince her that $500 is a reasonable amount to spend on a coffee grinder ;-)

THanks again for all your help. *Im sure Ill be back again when it arrives.
    LBB
    Well done Lee, good luck with your new machine. :)