Thread: Silvia portafilter query

Silvia portafilter query

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

I have purchased a used Silvia, V2 I think, circa 2004. It is an experiment - I want to see what it is like to use compared to my La Pavoni Europiccolo, which looks great and is fun to use, but after a few years I am still struggling to get reliable coffee. It is also a bit of a hassle for parties etc, where doing say 6 cups takes too long.

Any, re. teh Silvia, could someone advise whether the Silvia V2 portafilter is a standard 58mm professional one, and whether standard 58mm filter baskets will fit it. I am keen to try a 21g basket for the stock portafilter, and want to order ones which will fit the Silvia.

Most of the ones on Coffee Parts seem to just specify 58mm - is that all I need?

I am also interested in trying a bottomless - will any 58mm professional bottomless portafilter fit?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Re: Silvia group handle query

Im not sure about what exact handles will match a Silvia, but I can tell you that I had a Silvia a few years back and a La Marzocco group handle did NOT fit.

So I would say, no its not just any 58mm handle.

Might be worth calling or sending a message to Coffe Parts to see if they can tell you.

I also think that Chris from Talk Coffee would have a fair idea on this too.

Brett.

Hi Dave,

Just about any 58mm basket should fit, some take 21g. The baskets basically only care about the diameter
    A true triple basket will only fit in a naked handle due to the depth of the basket.

Yes if you want a naked handle to fit, get one for a Silvia (Coffeeparts can supply these), cos the handles can vary where they lock into the group-head, and even a small variation in angle or position of the lugs will mean it wont fit.

Regards
    Bullitt

Great Brett and Bullitt, thanks.

Dave