Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: 6910 pulsating pump

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    179

    6910 pulsating pump

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all, been working up the sunny coast fro the last month so Ive been away from my 6910 ( bugger ). Anyway , I think its starting to develop a problem. When pulling a shot, it starts as per normal with its pulsing, then after about 5 seconds the pump goes quiet ( still running), the pressure gauge drops, then it starts to pulse up and down about 3 times ( with the pressure gauge moving up and down ),then it settles down and gives normal performance. Not right IMO. Time for a sunbeam call ? The machine was bought in October this year, with a 4 year warranty ( might be needing it eh). The machine makes about 6 cups a day on average. :-?

  2. #2
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: 6910 pulsating pump

    Quote Originally Posted by 575641415A5F564B330 link=1260944108/0#0 date=1260944108
    Hi all, been working up the sunny coast fro the last month so Ive been away from my 6910 *( bugger ). Anyway , I think its starting to develop a problem. When pulling a shot, it starts as per normal with its pulsing, then after about 5 seconds the pump goes quiet ( still running), the pressure gauge drops, then it starts to pulse up and down about 3 times ( with the pressure gauge moving up and down ),then it settles down and gives normal performance. Not right IMO. Time for a sunbeam call ? The machine was bought in October this year, with a 4 year warranty ( might be needing it eh). The machine makes about 6 cups a day on average. :-?
    Sounds like crap around the solinoide / 3 way valve..

    When did you last do de scale and group flush???

    From my ibrick

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    179

    Re: 6910 pulsating pump

    havent descaled it at all yet as its only 2 months old. I do a group head flush after every brew using the rubber insert, as recommended by the girl who ran the coffee school.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    433

    Re: 6910 pulsating pump

    Has been asked and answered before.

    This "can" be a result of too fine of a grind and underdosed puck. Coarsen your grind a bit and put more coffee in the group handle (actualy, coarsen the grind a lot) and then maintaining the same level of coffee, slowly make the grind finer again until you get the right pour.

    Mine does this from time to time when I get the level wrong in the basket.

    Sen

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    179

    Re: 6910 pulsating pump

    Ill give it a go, thanks. BTW, do HN stock the cleaning solution/tablets required for the 6910 ?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    179

    Re: 6910 pulsating pump

    Ok, so I did as you said Senator. I ran my 480 grinder dry, filled the hopper with fresh beans and pulled 4 gushers, getting finer each time, until.....on the 5th shot ( getting better but still a gusher) as soon as the gauge hit 1 oclock it started to pulse again. I kept going finer to get a better shot and it pulsed for longer each time before stabilising. Each time it pulsed as the gauge reached 1 o clock ??? I might ring the hotline and see if they will replace the machine. 2 months old, Im not willing to have it repaired, unless it takes 1 day. NOT HAPPY JAN. >:( >:( >:(

  7. #7
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: 6910 pulsating pump

    Quote Originally Posted by 3C3D2A2A31343D20580 link=1260944108/2#2 date=1260953665
    I do a group head flush after every brew using the rubber insert, as recommended by the girl who ran the coffee school.
    WTF... I only did that every other day... But about once a week / 10 days did a chemical group head flush...

    If coffee fines get into that valve... Then the gauge will pulse and can stop working...

    Other than that... Dose / grind and Tamp can cause the problem..

    Where is ya Sweet spot and where do you get the Good Shot when all working ?


  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    179

    Re: 6910 pulsating pump

    SS is about 12.30 and good shot is about 1.30 when it was working properly.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5

    Re: 6910 pulsating pump

    .....I do a group head flush after every brew using the rubber insert, as recommended by the girl who ran the coffee school. [/QUOTE]

    Wouldnt tend to loosen material on the shower screen and possibly lodge in the 3 way valve?

  10. #10
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: 6910 pulsating pump

    Quote Originally Posted by 48495E5E454049542C0 link=1260944108/7#7 date=1260962356
    SS is about 12.30 and good shot is about 1.30 when it was working properly.
    Can only recommend you perform a chemical back flush and see how it goes...

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    179

    Re: 6910 pulsating pump

    Ill do a chemical back flush and a full descale and see what happens. As soon as any real load is put on the pump it dies.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    179

    Re: 6910 pulsating pump

    Ok, full descale with not much crap coming through the machine ( as expected been 2 months old ) Group head flush with tablet, got a fair bit of brown liquid. Tried pulling a shot....... exactly the same. Taking it back to HN and not leaving unless its with a new machine.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    179

    Re: 6910 pulsating pump

    Well, I WON I WON I WON. Sitting in front of me is a new machine. I walked into HN and told them to call the sunbeam rep because Im not leaving unless its with a new machine. After a few rounds of it will have to be sent away - NO NOT GOOD ENOUGH, they did a test on it and agreed it was faulty, and since it couldnt be fixed instantly the rep authorised a new machine. SWEET AS.

    A big thumbs up for the 2 IC @ Harvey Norman Oxley ( brisbane). Be persistant, and get what you paid for. Let this be a precident for any others with a faulty new machine. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D


  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    433

    Re: 6910 pulsating pump

    well done.

    hopefully this one behaves for you

  15. #15
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: 6910 pulsating pump

    Quote Originally Posted by 717067677C79706D150 link=1260944108/12#12 date=1261023283
    Well, I WON * * I WON * * I WON. Sitting in front of me is a new machine. I walked into HN and told them to call the sunbeam rep because Im not leaving unless its with a new machine. After a few rounds of it will have to be sent away - NO NOT GOOD ENOUGH, they did a test on it and agreed it was faulty, and since it couldnt be fixed instantly the rep authorised a new machine. SWEET AS.

    A big thumbs up for the 2 IC @ Harvey Norman Oxley ( brisbane). Be persistant, and get what you paid for. Let this be a precident for any others with a faulty new machine. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
    Tis good...Now did you pick up cleaning tabs etc and have you checked ya Sweet Spot and Good Shot spot.. Be interested to know of ya findings...

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    179

    Re: 6910 pulsating pump

    Yup. Ive got the tablets for the group head and the descaling liquid. The SS is @ 11 and GS @ 12.30. God Im happy, it must be xmas. ;D



Similar Threads

  1. 6910 spontaneous pump startup
    By Neil_sullo in forum Brewing Equipment - Midrange ($500-$1500)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16th June 2012, 04:21 PM
  2. 6910 pump continuous running ...
    By pbange in forum Brewing Equipment - Midrange ($500-$1500)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19th May 2012, 05:46 PM
  3. Sunbeam 6910 pump pressure
    By aussiedean in forum Brewing Equipment - Midrange ($500-$1500)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 24th February 2011, 02:12 PM
  4. Sunbeam EM 6910 pump starts by itself!
    By Rodders in forum Brewing Equipment - Midrange ($500-$1500)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 20th July 2009, 09:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •