Thread: What to replace my saeco aroma with?

What to replace my saeco aroma with?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    OK. So my Saeco aroma bit the dust yesterday after 13 years of loyal service. So obviously I need to find a replacement. Rancilio Silvia appeared to be the obvious option at first however all this talk of pid kits makes we think again. So a couple of questions...

- is a silvia without pid modification a machine that can reliably deliver a decent coffee?
    - is a non-pid silvia any worse than other low-mid range domestic machines ie I assumes these all have the same issues
    - If i want to spend a little more than a silvia what are some other options up the price range?

BTW i have a rocky grinder already.

Looking forward to some advice..

TC

Re: What to replace my saeco aroma with?

Quote Originally Posted by 5A5D010000300 link=1261179850/0#0 date=1261179850
    OK. So my Saeco aroma bit the dust yesterday after 13 years of loyal service. So obviously I need to find a replacement. Rancilio Silvia appeared to be the obvious option at first however all this talk of pid kits makes we think again. So a couple of questions...

- is a silvia without pid modification a machine that can reliably deliver a decent coffee?
    - is a non-pid silvia any worse than other low-mid range domestic machines ie I assumes these all have the same issues
    - If i want to spend a little more than a silvia what are some other options up the price range?

Hi Jimbo and welcome,

Its very much possible to get a great shot from the Silvia, it just takes a little care.

Next level up are e-61 single boiler machines like the VBM DOmobar Piccolo and Diadema Perfetta et al- sold by lots of CS sponsors <<<<<

If you can tell us where you are, we can point you to your nearest bloke...

Happy shopping ;)

2mcm

Thanks for that. Im in Prahran, Melbourne.

TC

Hello Jimbo,

We may be able to assist as we are in Northcote.

I think you will struggle to find a Silvia in Melbourne at present as all of the importers have zero stock. They are like hens teeth!

You are most welcome to call or email for a chat.

regards

Chris

Hmmm 2mcm the options you suggest are $600-$700 more than a Silvia. What extra benefits do you get for the money with these machines that makes them worth the money? I expect they will require a similar level of care to get the best out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by 4D4A161717270 link=1261179850/0#0 date=1261179850
    So a couple of questions...

Silvia is not a low-mid range domestic in terms of Sunbeam, etc. but a fine piece of machinery that will last for years and deliver within its design parameters for that time. Its design is robust but it does not have the finest of control over the temperature, which would require a much larger expenditure (PID or E-61 group head).

This can be mostly overcome with technique (temperature surfing) which is why Silvia is sometimes referred to as needing attention or being fussy.

The next step up is PID or as above: the E-61 single boilers.

There are other options in Silvia territory which I am sure that Chris will be happy to demonstate.

Happy hunting!

Greg

ps--Rocky is a capable grinder and with the teflon tape and stepless mods will do well at Silvia and one or so steps up.