Thread: Whats the difference?

Whats the difference?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have become a snob since moving to Aus! Coffee is so nice here and its an art which i never knew! This has resulted in me wanting to know more! I am currently using a stove top perculator and it makes great coffee! The only down side is that it takes so long to make coffee and clean everything each time! So whats the best way to make coffee (perculator/press/filter/auto machine)?

Im tempted to buy an automatic machine! Which one is the best i want to spend $1000-2000? Is auto machines any good?

Caffeine Junky

Re: Whats the difference?

It really comes down to personal choice cupajoe and the types of coffees you prefer to drink (short blacks, lattes, long black, etc.)

Irrespective of the coffee making technique, the key to a good cup is using freshly roasted & freshly grond beans of a good quality.

If you do not already own one your first purchase should be a grinder. The Rancilio Rocky is highly recommended and costs under $500. This unit should last you many years and would match up well to any of the methods you mention.

If you tend to drink long black coffees you could spend just $50 on an Aeropress. These are great little units that make a coffee quickly and are very easy to clean.

If you prefer short coffees or milk-based drinks then youre probably best off getting an espresso machine. In the price range you mention most would probably recommend the Rancilio Rocky & Silvia combination. Around $1300 for both.

Quote Originally Posted by 686963706E6B71020 link=1261347892/1#1 date=1261350621
    If you prefer short coffees or milk-based drinks then youre probably best off getting an espresso machine. *In the price range you mention most would probably recommend the Rancilio Rocky & Silvia combination. *Around $1300 for both. *
    I wouldnt write off the AeroPress in this role either, if youre only making one or two brews at a time. I often grab my AeroPress out of the cupboard and make a few brews now and again. Makes a truly excellent quality cup of coffee, not espresso per se but about halfway between a Filter Brew and an Espresso....

Best thing really is to visit one or more of our Site Sponsors close to your locality and try some brews made with different hardware and then make your choice... ;)

Mal.

Are Delongi or Jura brands worth looking at interms of auto machines? I dont know what its called the way i have my coffee! I like a shot of espresso and topped off with milk?

Rancilio Rocky & Silvia combination is a manual machine! Are auto machines not the way to go???

Quote Originally Posted by 4E585D4C4742482D0 link=1261347892/3#3 date=1261540938
    I dont know what its called the way i have my coffee! I like a shot of espresso and topped off with milk?
    What you call it depends on how much milk.

I wouldnt consider a Delonghi and I dont think youd get a decent Jura in your budget.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 465055444F4A40250 link=1261347892/3#3 date=1261540938
    Are Delongi or Jura brands worth looking at interms of auto machines? I dont know what its called the way i have my coffee! I like a shot of espresso and topped off with milk?

Rancilio Rocky & Silvia combination is a manual machine! Are auto machines not the way to go???
    This has been discussed time and time again... Search for How to search Coffeesnobs.. There are a number of stickies and links that will assist you in searching and finding all the same questions and Answers..

Some Autos are better than others.. Gilkatho Online is a sponsor... The General White goods units are just that... Marketing for the eye.

The more manual systems are better in my opinion... And then Auto is not Auto... There are shades of grey..

But with out Fresh beans and a real grinder... The coffee will be crap.. Regardless of what brand.

Thanks for the mention AngerManagement.

If anyone is interested well have an online Boxing Day - New Years day machine sale running on our website. *Depending on the model chosen, shoppers can save $300-$600 on Jura domestic machines. *Check the specials page at gilkatho.com.au/specials.

Orders will be shipped in the following week when we are back at work.

Well we are finishing up for the year at midday today so Ill take this opportunity to wish all of the CS and Andy an aromatic Christmas and a god shot New Year.

Wayne