Thread: Need help with grinding em0450 for EM6910

Need help with grinding em0450 for EM6910

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All
    Long time reader/first time poster!
    I have just got a em0450 (I know, but it really is all I can afford!) they are being run out here for $130.
    I got some Robert Harris ultimo beans (NZ) and even cranking the grind down to 1 I dont get any crema with the single floor and barely a register on the dial. The puck is dry and solid when it comes out.

The grind doesnt seem that fine.

Using the Dual floor is ok but really not better than new store bought ground coffee.

So... is the beans? I can probably get some fresh beans tomorrow with a drive into the big smoke if anyone thinks thats worth a shot?

I use a 6910 at work and can get much better results ( tho inconsistent) with a blade grinder.

Or should I give up the single floor and wait till I can swing a better grinder?

A_M

Re: Need help with grinding em0450 for EM6910

Quote Originally Posted by 736179767B7B60140 link=1261538649/0#0 date=1261538649
    Hi All
    Long time reader/first time poster!
    I have just got a em0450 (I know, but it really is all I can afford!) they are being run out here for $130.
    I got some Robert Harris ultimo beans (NZ) and even cranking the grind down to 1 I dont get any crema with the single floor and barely a register on the dial. *The puck is dry and solid when it comes out.

The grind doesnt seem that fine.

Using the Dual floor is ok but really not better than new store bought ground coffee.

So... is the beans? I can probably get some fresh beans tomorrow with a drive into the big smoke if anyone thinks thats worth a shot?

I use a 6910 at work and can get much better results ( tho inconsistent) with a blade grinder.

Or should I give up the single floor and wait till I can swing a better grinder?
    Search the Fourm... Use teh advances search feature... Look for the sticky on How to search CS.

The grinder will be fine in 99% of cases if you use fresh beans...

Supermarket = STALE

1: Green Beans <3 years
    2: Brown beans <3 week ( Supermarket = 12 months :o 8-) or longer )
    3: Ground beans <3 min

Welcome to Coffee Snobs.

I recently sold my 0450 so I know what they are capable of.

My first suspicion is the beans.
    I doubt any Robert Harris beans are fresh.
    You need freshly roasted beans; preferably with a "Roasted On" date on the bag; NOT a "BEST before" date.

Some 0450/0480s are not as well quality controlled as the one I had and are missing a burr support washer or two that help it grind finer.
    If you eliminate the beans as the problem then Id be looking at the washer possibility.

Most beans are beyond their best after 3 weeks.
    If you cant prove when the beans were roasted dont buy them; look somewhere else.
    Look for a local roaster; avoid supermarkets and coffee chains.

great thanks for your prompt replies!

There is a roaster about 40 minutes away so I might head there tomorrow.

Cheers

It took me 45 minutes this morning to get to one of my preferred roasters.

The Robert Harris ones are indeed pre staled.

It blows me away that they won "bean of the year" last year at the coffee awards, is absolutly laughable if you cant get them fresh. I even submitted a question once via the barista@home website to try and determine from the packet how fresh they are (NZ based) but surprise surprise, no response.

The beans is on issue for sure. Where in NZ are you? - from your username, its not Taihape is it?

If you want to get fresh, you may need to try an online vendor. If you do a google search for coffee roasters association in NZ, you will get links to heaps of roasters right throughout the country.

If you are feeling really adventurous (and are 40mins away from 1 roaster) you may want to give home roasting a shot too. I was initally not interested, but it really is a lot of fun and not that difficult.

Good luck when you get some fresh beans

Sen

Not sure where you have your grinder set, but mine is on 16 for the LaVazza beans I am currently using. That is much coarser than the setting recommended in the manual included with the grinder (which produced a powder so fine I couldnt pull a shot!). As other posters have indicated, the em0450 tolerances seem a little variable but overall Im happy with mine now that Ive figured out where it needs to be to for these beans. I just ordered some 5Senses 24/7 beans so it will be interesting to compare.

Edit: Oops, I just re-read your post.... you have it set on 1? Try different (fresh) beans and if that fails ring Sunbeam. Their telephone help is pretty good.

Thanks for all your replies, I phone Sunbeam this morning and they said that happens occasionally and they have a washer set that I can pick up today. so will let you all know.

Cheers

Took both washers to get a good shot. but now get consistent pours at 9 on the dial.

got some beens roasted 4 days ago. AHHH so thats what the difference between fresh and supermarket is!

Cheers All

Wait until youve tasted them again over the next few days..............they may get even better!

Quote Originally Posted by 726078777A7A61150 link=1261538649/8#8 date=1261732344
    Took both washers to get a good shot. *but now get consistent pours at 9 on the dial.

got some beens roasted 4 days ago. *AHHH so thats what the difference between fresh and supermarket is!

Cheers All
    Welcome to the club ;D

Enjoy, its all good from here.

Unfortunately, once you enjoy fresh coffee--well made, there is no going back ::)

Greg