Thread: Newbie needs help!

Newbie needs help!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

After countless hours of research on CS, Ive finally decided to speak up and ask for some help!

Im in the market for my first real machine & grinder for home use, and have approval from the missus to go up to the $800 - $850 mark, looking to buy second hand from a fellow CSer.

Ive come to realise that there is a lot more involved that Id initially thought, and although Im prepared to put in the hard yards (some courses from the fine sponsors here and a bit more research), Im a little overwhelmed and want to make sure I get the first purchase right! ;D

There seems to be two main contenders in this price range, the Sunmbeam EM6910 and the Rancilio Silvia. Ive seen my old flatmate have a few issues with his EM6910 (and from the sounds of it hes not the only one ;)), so at this stage Im really leaning towards the Silvia (+ Rocky).

So if I get a Silvia, will it be too much for a novice to pull some consistently decent shots without a temp gauge or PID? These sorts of mods will push it out of my price range, so are there other good machines for this price that are a little more forgiving? I havent heard much about the Gaggia Classic or ECM Boticelli?

Well be using the machine for about 15 coffees/week, mostly long machs and wont need to make more than 2 or 3 coffees at a time.

Your thoughts/input are welcome!

Cheers

dex

Re: Newbie needs help!

Hi Lucas and welcome to coffeesnobs :D I started off with a loaner sunbeam and quickly migrated to the Silvia and Sunbeam grinder which served me very well for nearly 3 years. *I had no trouble making some great coffees for family and friends who always looked forward to after dinner coffee *;D You wont go wrong with the Silvia and dont be intimidated. *You dont need PIDs and all the fancy stuff. Just stick to the basics first and spend some time with the machine and a bag of fresh beans and practice. *It wont be long before you understand the principles of making a consistent espresso and steaming some great microfoam. *You will get the occasional dud shot but hey thats part of the fun working out what went wrong! *Keep an eye on the sales forum and get in early as the goodies go really quickly as my Silvia did which now lives in Tasmania making some nice coffee down south Im sure. *I had succumbed to upgraditis as many do and have moved on to the "pointy end" with a new Giotto and ECM Best grinder for Christmas *:)

Good luck and if you get stuck there are plenty of friends on the CS site that will help you out.

Dex

Caffeine Junky

Hi Lucas and welcome. Just my second crack worth but I believe you should also strongly consider the Lelit Combi which you could buy new for your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by 70717B687673691A0 link=1261554182/2#2 date=1261573394
    Hi Lucas and welcome. *Just my second crack worth but I believe you should also strongly consider the Lelit Combi which you could buy new for your budget.
    Actually, CJ, I think they go out for more like $1000. (vs $850 budget). I guess it all depends on the extent to which you can sweet-talk somebody like Dennis from cuppacoffee or Chris from Talk Coffee. "But I NEED it! Havent you heard of Christmas? Dont make me sell my kids to pay for this..."

Caffeine Junky

Hi Luwaks. According to the website Talk Coffee are selling them at $850 with a few goodies thrown in.

http://www.talkcoffee.com.au/equipment/coffee-machine-lelit-combi.php

I understand theyre currently out of stock but awaiting a new shipment. Hopefully with the strength of the $ the price wont go up.

Gday Lucas.... :)

Welcome to CoffeeSnobs mate [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

The very best advice I believe, is for you to arrange to meet up with a couple of our Site Sponsors listed over on the L/H side of the page, and have a couple of machines/grinders demonstrated for you and even some hands-on experience under the ever watchful and experienced eye of the business owner.... ;)

At least that way, you will personally experience hardware on offer that lies within your budgetary constraints, and is ergonomically and aesthetically pleasing to you and your wife. You wont be pressured by our Site Sponsors but they will do their level best to make sure you end up with the best information about hardware that suits your particular needs.

Everyone is going to recommend their own particular hardware combination over that of anyone elses, its just human nature but that doesnt mean it will be right for you and in the end, all this will probably do, is to help confuse your choices even further. Stick with the Pros Lucas and check in with our Site Sponsors, you wont be sorry.... 8-)

Mal.

Dex [/QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by 51504D350 link=1261554182/1#1 date=1261570848
    You wont go wrong with the Silvia and dont be intimidated.You dont need PIDs and all the fancy stuff.Just stick to the basics first and spend some time with the machine and a bag of fresh beans and practice. *
    Thanks for reading between the lines, Dex... This is exactly what I wanted to hear! Im sure Im not the first novice to feel intimidated, but I think Ill feel more comfortable once Ive got my hands on a machine.

CJ - Thanks for the Lelit Combi suggestion, this looks like a pretty solid machine and Ill start hunting threads for some more feedback on this one.

Thanks Mal,

Some great advice... I think starting off with some hands on experience/courses would do me a world of good. Ive been into 9Bar a few times before (albeit just because I wanted a decent coffee and was willing to travel halfway accross Melb to get it! ;D), so I think I might drop in there early in the NY.

Ill call it a belated Christmas present to myself!

Welcome Lucas. I bought a reconditioned Gaggia Classic 4 years ago (from that evil auction site) and it has been a good machine for my needs. Pours very nice coffee, now that I have learnt to use freshly roasted beans. Have has to replace steam value once but nothing else. I have done the Silvia steam wand mod (posts on CS about that). Very easy and costs around the $50 mark from sponsors. Now have beautiful micro froth. The plastic frother bit that comes with them is not capable of making any thing but hot milk with quite big bubbles.

Good luck, lattes at home are a very good thing!
    Andy