Thread: Gaggia Classic blowing steam through head.

Gaggia Classic blowing steam through head.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi, I have had this Gaggia Classic for ten years and it is been great. All I have had to do is replace the pump, a seal and few shower plate. In the last few months it has continuing blowing hot steam through the head. Not sure what the problems is?
    Please help.
    Thanks
    M

Re: Gaggia Classic blowing steam through head.

Quote Originally Posted by 514A424D4A4D574C4140240 link=1261795551/0#0 date=1261795551
    Hi, I have had this Gaggia Classic for ten years and it is been great. All I have had to do is replace the pump, a seal and few shower plate. In the last few months it has continuing blowing hot steam through the head. Not sure what the problems is?
    Please help.
    Thanks
    M
    Hi and welcome to CS!

Have to say, Im a bit surprised that this has been happening for a few months and youve done nothing about it. Anyway...

Sounds like a problem with the thermostats or switching from one to the other.

Running steam out of the brew head is not a good idea, as the element will be exposed and will burn out.

Are you able to pump water out of the steam wand?

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 5348404F484F554E4342260 link=1261795551/0#0 date=1261795551
    Please help.
    Thanks
    M
    AND

Quote Originally Posted by 624348484F55260 link=1261795551/1#1 date=1261809332
    Have to say, Im a bit surprised that this has been happening for a few months and youve done nothing about it. *Anyway...

Sounds like a problem with the thermostats or switching from one to the other. *

Running steam out of the brew head is not a good idea, as the element will be exposed and will burn out.
    So... Unfinished... Sounds like an apt name... :D

The longer you leave it... The worse it will get...

Where are you located ?

Yes, have been a bit slack with it.
    Here are a few answers.
    Yes can pump water through the steam wand.
    and Im in Parramatta.

Is there any way to test the thermostat?

Thanks
    Michael

OK, pumping water through the steam wand covers the element and tops up the boiler. Do you still get steam through the brew head immediately afterward or is this an intermittent problem?

If the need arises, you can UNPLUG the machine from the powerpoint before removing the top cover and probably best to remove both thermostats located on top of the boiler (making sure you note which goes where). You can then take them to your closest Jaycar outlet and they should be able to match them - theyre cheap. You can get some heatsink silicone while youre there to place between the thermostats and boiler once youve removed the old silicone.

Note: Im not saying to replace them just yet!

SJM

Heres how to test the brew and steam thermostats
    The Gaggia Classic has two thermostats - a brewing thermostat and a steam thermostat.
    You want to test two things:
    1. brewing water temperature and recovery
    2. steaming capability
    The most well known and simplest brewing temperature test is the "styrofoam cup test"
    Turn on your machine and wait at least 15 -20 minutes so that it is thoroughly warmed
    up.
    Get a small styrofoam cup of the take-out variety and mark a line measuring the 2 ounce
    level, and another mark measuring the 3 ounce level. In metric terms thats roughly 60 ml
    and 90 ml respectively. Next, you will need to find a good quality dial type frothing
    thermometer and insert it horizontally through the cup. The point of the thermometer
    should not puncture the other side and the thermometer should be inserted low enough in
    the cup that the stem is covered by water. Place the cup along with the thermometer
    underneath your group and turn ON the brew switch and draw at least two ounces of
    water. Turn OFF the brew switch when you have enough water in the cup. Measure the
    maximum temperature achieved.
    Repeat this test seve ral times in a row using the 2 ounce mark. Do the test again using the
    3 ounce mark.
    If you are not attaining at least 192F (89C) in all tests, then your thermostat is running too
    cool. I would be tempted to either return the machine or replace the thermostat.
    The next test measures the steaming capabilities of your new machine.
    Measure out exactly 10 ounces of water in your frothing pitcher. Insert your frothing
    thermometer. Remove any frothing assist devices as you will need to use the bare wand.
    Click on the steam switch and wait for the red "ready light" to come on.
    Start steaming by opening up the black steam knob. You will notice the red light will go
    off after a short time indicating that the boiler heating elements are on and are actively
    heating the water. Keep steaming until the temperature light comes back on. Record the
    temperature. If it is not at least 140F (60C), your steam thermostat is running too cool and
    should be replaced. The steam thermostat is very easy to replace and if you can wield a
    screwdriver, you can replace it yourself in a couple of minutes [keeping the usual
    precautions about working on electrical equipment in mind]. If you are replacing a
    thermostat, always remember to hand tighten only. Never use a wrench to tighten a
    thermostat on this machine

Hi, I started to remove the water thermostat and it crumbled. So I guess that was it. Just purchased so new ones from gaggia for $10 and it now works fine.

Thanks for all your advice. Just one last question. Can you adjust the temp of the water if too hot?
    Thanks again
    Michael

I know this is an old thread but I experienced exactly the same problem with my classic this week. In case others experience the same problem I just wanted to share that the same solution above worked for me, I replaced the boiler thermostat which has fixed the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by guest1347 View Post
    I know this is an old thread but I experienced exactly the same problem with my classic this week. In case others experience the same problem I just wanted to share that the same solution above worked for me, I replaced the boiler thermostat which has fixed the problem.
    Hi, apologies for also posting in this old thread, but it seems the most relevant to my question anywhere online and it seems the best place to find reliable answers..

I've had this classic for a week and it's just starting to blow some steam through the group when I turn on the brew switch. It's not a huge amount but am a bit worried reading this thread that the themometer is faulty.

How much steam from the group head is normal?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Hi Tin Tin,

Couple of questions might help diagnosing your problem.
    Is the steam happening straight after you go from steam to brew?
    Also are you sure your boiler is filling up before hand? i.e. water is coming out of the group head and the open steam arm.
    If you could describe your prep it might help as well.
    I have 2 classics (1 is gronked) and its amazing to see the temperature range that happens. Personally i find steam comes out if i leave it warming for over 45 mins or if i go from steam to brew. The first has only a little bit but the second has a fair bit which is to be expected.
    Hope this helps,
    Col

Quote Originally Posted by Col3 View Post
    Hi Tin Tin,

Couple of questions might help diagnosing your problem.
    Is the steam happening straight after you go from steam to brew?
    Also are you sure your boiler is filling up before hand? i.e. water is coming out of the group head and the open steam arm.
    If you could describe your prep it might help as well.
    I have 2 classics (1 is gronked) and its amazing to see the temperature range that happens. Personally i find steam comes out if i leave it warming for over 45 mins or if i go from steam to brew. The first has only a little bit but the second has a fair bit which is to be expected.
    Hope this helps,
    Col
    Thanks for the tips Col, I think the boiler is ok as water runs from the group head and steam arm when I prime it.
    I left the machine warming 15mins and ran water through the group before pulling a shot. Can't recall exactly but while I'm brewing some steam comes out from the grouphead and also when I turn the brew switch off steam still comes out, not nearly as much as going from steam to brew but enough for me to back up from the machine. Sounds like going from steam to brew it's normal to have some steam.. but steaming during the brew seems unusual? Maybe I shouldn't warm it for so long?