Thread: To space or not to space?

Coughy

To space or not to space?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    My 6910 is now 3+ y/o (first model after 6900) and IMO needs a new collar (visibly squashed/damaged now), still working but locks in at 4:30-5 and sometimes still leaks. With my new K3T I had to change all grind/dose/tamp and its just not quite all working I think partly because of machine wear but before xmas i rang around a few agents and sponsor and there are no collars avail (that I can find) until feb sometime when there is a new shipment, so Im told.
    So I rang sunbeam to get a Si spacer and at first got told that the spacer is only for 6900 and no I couldnt have one, confused then I later rang back and had one in the post no problem??

As far as I can see from searching various posts the spacer is applicable to the 6910 right, are there 2 different spacers?
    I tried to fit it but now not even sure does it go above or below the seal, sunbeam lady said below which seems stupid because there is nothing to hold it in and above it fits but I cant even lock in properly as it would be at about 7-7:30 and surely pop out if I tried to pull a shot.
    With digital calipers the seal measures .82mm thick, this seems to be a lot and obviously too thick or maybe my collar is not as worn as I thought? Feel like some kind of coffee noob asking this but I dont get it, something is wrong.

Re: To space or not to space?

I have seen two spacers; one is cardboard and one is silicon. The spacer goes between the seal and the machine - just place it on top of the seal and carefully put both in place at once.

If you find that the spacer is too thick then you can try making one yourself with a finer material whilst you wait for a new collar.

I made my first spacer for a 6910 out of cardboard.
    Much cheaper than silicon and it lasted for a few months until I needed a new seal and then I bought the silicon one.

By then the cardboard one had started to perish from the moisture and heat but for a short term solution cardboard does the job.

The new seal and silicon spacer did the job until the collar had to be replaced.

coughy I find it strange that the seal causes the handle to lock in at 7 as my 6910 was locking in at about 4:30 before the spacer and 6:00 with the spacer.

Have you tried installing it again to make sure its in right?

Coughy

Quote Originally Posted by 6559445F555443565E55310 link=1262052852/2#2 date=1262087536
    Yep got to it again the other day and it does the same thing, thats why i thought that maybe there are 2 different thickness spacers, one for the 6900 and one for the 6910?
    When you say you used cardboard what sort do you mean, something like from a cereal box thickness wise? Theres no way a normal box thickness would work, thats be worse then the Si spacer.

I have an old main seal that I replaced ~6 mths ago to counteract the collar wear a bit, I should try that worn (but not damaged) one with the spacer to see if that helps.

PS. I would just replace the collar IF I could find one to buy, so if anybody knows the whereabouts of one for sale please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by 70574D5C4B7A565F5F390 link=1262052852/3#3 date=1262316102
    Theres no way a normal box thickness would work
    Whats normal? ;)

I was at work so used the cardboard from the cover of a notepad.
    Ceral box would be about the same I think.

As for two different spacers, as far as I know there is only one.
    They werent supplied by Sunbeam until the 6910 had been out for quite some time and IIRC the 6900s did not have the collar wear problem.

Also, when SB sent me instructions for changing my seal, they sent 6900 instructions because they hadnt updated them for the 6910s; they assured me there was no difference.

The main differences originally were longer head bolts, programmability and the new blue seal.

Coughy

Whats normal?
    Ahh, good point, not me *:D

Thanks TG, I was dumbly meaning like a box that other boxes come in, as in the corrugated cardboard stuff, like to see me try and fit a spacer made out of that, I had a laugh. I say no more :-X

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 4D6A706176476B6262040 link=1262052852/3#3 date=1262316102
    Quote Originally Posted by 6559445F555443565E55310 link=1262052852/2#2 date=1262087536
    Yep got to it again the other day and it does the same thing, thats why i thought that maybe there are 2 different thickness spacers, one for the 6900 and one for the 6910?
    When you say you used cardboard what sort do you mean, something like from a cereal box thickness wise? Theres no way a normal box thickness would work, thats be worse then the Si spacer.

I have an old main seal that I replaced ~6 mths ago to counteract the collar wear a bit, I should try that worn (but not damaged) one with the spacer to see if that helps.

PS. I would just replace the collar IF I could find one to buy, so if anybody knows the whereabouts of one for sale please let me know.
    New collars are about $58 and you can buy... With a bit of tlc in ya request.... Do a search and you will see I have posted teh name of a supplier that has been known to provide said parts previously.

NOTE: I under stand that SB have been clamping down on some parts for sale to teh public... A risk management approach to having teh job done correctly and SAFE...

I do have a new collar on me... But still waiting for some extra parts (broken EM6910) to allow me to rebuild the old one I have here...