Thread: Re: Im about to buy a machine for my husband. What do I need?

Re: Im about to buy a machine for my husband. What do I need?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Our site sponsors are a great place to start, Chris at talk coffee is doing some deals on the Silvia at the moment. *You will want a decent solid tamper, there are a range around and I am sure any of the site sponsors would do you a good deal on one if you were purchase a machine and grinder from them and they will handle the jugs and alike for you too.

Depending on budget, Pullman will custom make a tamper and engrave it too.

You will find links to them down the left hand side of the page

Most importantly they will make sure the machine is right to go and show you and your husband how to look after it.

Fresh beans are also very important and if you look in the bean bay area of this site, Andy as *a selection of roasted beans that will arrive promptly at your door.

Some nice cups are a great start too. *

Good luck with the new toys!

TC

Hi TGS and welcome!

The Silvia and Rocky combo is a great place to start and is the setup of choice for many CSers. Used well, you will get a brilliant result.

You will need:[*]Machine and grinder[*]Tamper 58mm (get a good one if you possibly can)[*]Coffee[*]Jug/s[*]Backwash detergent and blind filter

Other deisirbles/optionals[*]Knock tube[*]Tamp mat[*]Training- if required[*]Thermometer if you must- I am not crazy about them as you need a really good one if you want accuracy[*]Deep double basket

The Silvia and Rocky are pretty scarce in Melbourne but I am unsure as to the situation elsewhere in Australia. We have managed to get a few today: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163933911/5#5 Nearly had to sell my soul to get them! ::)

Good luck with your shopping ;)

Chris

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 70766177716E040 link=1262683106/0#0 date=1262683106
    Hi All,

I have lurked here a while and have finally decided to ask a question!

Ok so I have told my husband that for his christmas and birthday Ill buy him a coffee machine. After much research I want the Silvia and Rocky combo. It gets great reviews everywhere I look.

What else should I consider buying to make great coffee? I thought I would get the sample pack from Brown Beans. Do I need a specific tamper? Milk jug? Thermometer? *I dont want to buy it piece meal, I want to give it to him so that hes off and running and driving me mad experimenting, not shopping for other stuff to make it work. Where do I start??!! :o

All advice is gratly appreciated.

TGS
    Where are you located...

Then contact a sponsor and if possible arrange a training session to be included....

Fresh beans will make the difference and they can be had from the Bean Bay or a number of the sponsors..

In addition... You need to be happy with it as well. When I am off colour or missing a coffee of a morning... Nothing better for teh marriage; than my wife making and bringing me a great flat white :D

If ya can get a look / trial, then you may find that other systems can be had and may be more to your liking... The sponsors are very open and while they look for a sale... They understand coffee and if they can not provide what ya want... Then usually know of another sponsor that can...

As to extras... If ya partner likes coffee... Ther will always be extras ;D :o

Site Sponsor

Hi TGS,

Make sure you get a tamper that is a good fit (most standard 58mm tampers are a bit small). A 400ml and 600ml milk jug, blind filter, backwash detergent, knock bin. Thermometer is optional IMO.

charlie

Gee 4 replies in 10 minutes and 2 from a site sponsors. *Better cut that out boys or people might get the impression that this a great place to come for help and advise about all things coffee *;D

Wow
    Thanks for the super quick replies!

Located in Melbourne! So I guess that there may be few around Talk Coffee!

Anger Managemant I was hoping HE would bring ME the coffee, afterall I got for Xmas was Pink DVD?!?!?! What the? :o And the extras is what Im afraid of, thats also why I wanted to give the complete set up, he loves to shop and research what to shop for?!?! :)

Dont know how I managed to delete my original quote?!

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 5A5C4B5D5B442E0 link=1262683106/5#5 date=1262684142
    all I got for Xmas was *Pink DVD?!?!?! What the?
    ...when you really needed a new iron ;D

Just jokin ;)

2mcm! *Forgive his dry sense of humor TGS!

Caffeine Junky

Hi TGS, did you get your name from the childrens book?

Sounds like youve done some sensible research in deciding on the Silvia/Rocky.

Grind box, good tamper, milk jug and backwash detergent are the essentials. Oh and beans of course! I never use my thermometer any more, find hand touch on the jug to be more reliable.

Lastly you and your hubbie should not expect the perfect coffee right away, it takes a little practice and getting to know of your equipment.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 464057414758320 link=1262683106/5#5 date=1262684142
    Anger Managemant I was hoping HE would bring ME the coffee
    Great to see you have a sense of humour... Or is that reality ;)

When he starts bringing you the coffee... Ya can bet there is another reason for it...

Yikes...

Upgraditus and or Oh darling... I have just seen this great ........... Must have new coffee things 8-)

At the end of the day... We are a close but loose community... With a passion for all things coffee. Enjoy a debate and sometimes a bit of stirring... On odd occasions, the fish even bite :D

Now ask ya self this...

Partner at home; growing coffee trees, roasting a batch just arrived in from a small farm in a 3rd world country(FC), pride in a clean kitchen and making every one a coffee or two, even trying the odd coffee cooking experiment... On the WEB i.e. CoffeeSnobs not p0rn...

And able to relax after a hard day at work and offer teh home something useful....

OR

Down the pub and at teh footy with his mates and spending lots of $$$ on beer and fast food.....

PS.. Think carefully before you reply... Ya never know who else is reading your response...

PPS. Welcome to CoffeeSnobs.

I have no idea what the original post was on but I gather what essentials you need to accompany Rocky/Silvia.

My essentials, in the order of priority are.
    1. Tamper! ($90-$300)A decent tamper is good to have, cheapest option for a decent probably a Coffeelab one, but I hear Pullmans are the way to go for style and quality ;)
    2. Assuming you have milk based drinks, a milk steaming jug ($10-30) - 300ml if only one of you has milk in your coffee, 600ml if both of you use milk in your coffee.
    3. Knock box ($30-$50)
    4. Blind filter and cleaner ($10+$10) - gotta keep Silvia happy
    5. Tamping mat - so that Silvias spouts dont get damaged but not urgent as there are ways to get around it temporarily.
    6. Synesso (or some other basket) - Silvias double basket is a bit small, so most people use a slightly bigger basket to pack more oomh into the shots.

Talk Coffee are legendary around here for their service. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

The nice folks at Di Bella will give you a one hour complimentary lesson (so even if you buy your machine from another sponsor, you could buy your accessories there?) That one hour really helped my learning curve - highly recommend it.

Dont forget to budget for about a kilo (probably more) of beans to experiment with. Silvia has a bit of a learning curve.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by 2732203B3A36530 link=1262683106/11#11 date=1262701834
    I have no idea what the original post was
    Fortunately AM quoted it in his first post (#2).

Quote Originally Posted by 70766177716E040 link=1262683106/0#0 date=1262683106
    Hi All,

I have lurked here a while and have finally decided to ask a question!

Ok so I have told my husband that for his christmas and birthday Ill buy him a coffee machine. After much research I want the Silvia and Rocky combo. It gets great reviews everywhere I look.

What else should I consider buying to make great coffee? I thought I would get the sample pack from Brown Beans. Do I need a specific tamper? Milk jug? Thermometer? I dont want to buy it piece meal, I want to give it to him so that hes off and running and driving me mad experimenting, not shopping for other stuff to make it work. Where do I start??!! :o

All advice is gratly appreciated.

TGS

Thanks thundergod, I did a complete whoops and deleted it thinking it was a double post... youd think Id never sat at a computer in my life. Im usually too busy doing the ironing, arent I 2mcm ;) ?!

Yes my husband is the coffee type, hes an early morning person, rather go out for brekkie than a smokey pub dinner, so I can quite confidently say hell get his moneis worth out of it.

Caffeine Junky, the name TheGreenSheep does come from the childrens book, nearly worn out at my house, my son loves it. I like it as its a bit quirky.

Ok so far I need the machine and grinder (obviously).
    Tamper
    Milk jug 600mls (milk in our coffees sorry to the die hards)
    Backwash detergent and blind filter
    Beans would be handy
    maybe a knock box and tamping mat if Im feeling really generous...
    Missed anything?

TGS

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 787E697F79660C0 link=1262683106/13#13 date=1262745309
    Ok so far I need the machine and grinder (obviously).
    Tamper
    Milk jug 600mls (milk in our coffees sorry to the die hards)
    Backwash detergent and blind filter
    Beans would be handy
    maybe a knock box and tamping mat if Im feeling really generous...
    Missed anything?
    Hi TGS,

All I can suggest is DEFINITELY a larger double filter basket as the standard one is useless ::)

All our Silvias ship with coffee, backwash detergent, blind filter and deep double + training materials...so you neednt worry about those bits ;)

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 67525F586C705C55555656330 link=1262683106/14#14 date=1262745556
    All our Silvias ship with coffee, backwash detergent, blind filter and deep double + training materials...so you neednt worry about those bits
    Gotta love the sponsors - they make things so easy! :)

Now all TGS needs is lots of practice.

yes tashie, Ive been talking with my husband about the practice as reading through the recent topics here leads me to think its lots of practice plus training before Im going to be greeted with a barista quality coffee no matter how much $$$ I shell out.