Thread: boiler de-scaling (dismantled)

boiler de-scaling (dismantled)

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    so ive picked up this rancilio lucy thats been sitting for a few years, and by the looks of it, its probably a model from about 99.

its never had a decent clean, and it needs a new seal/gasket between the brew group and the boiler, so im going to seperate the two pieces and descale them.

what im wanting to know, is it safe to just soak the whole piece (wires and connections removed) in descaling solution? or will it damage the exterior?

would i be better to maybe have it sit upside down with the solution in it? then scrub it afterwards?

any thoughts?

Re: boiler de-scaling (dismantled)

Hi fellow Rancilio-ite.

We seem to be in about the same place. My Silvia has rust in the chassis and so I completely disassembled it yesterday. Got that far, decided may as well take the boiler apart. Was surprised how little scale there was for what is a well used second hand machine. I was reluctant to immerse the electrics, so turned the top upside down and balanced it then filled it up with descaling solution. The rested the brew head in a bowl, keeping the (OPV??) out of the water.

I took photos and notes along the way, but only hope I get it all back together again!!

Good luck with your reno.

hey mate thanks for the reply. Luckily, the chassis of mine has zero rust. however the hex screws that held the boiler together were rusted to nothing.

i too was suprised at the minimal amount of scale, i assume the past owner was using very wel filtered water.

ive removed all pipes and electronics, but obviously the connections at the top cant be removed, so i might have to do the same as you.

would love to see the photos.

ive logged mine by photos as good as i possibly can, i too hope it all goes back together properly!

The mysteries of these machines - weird how your frame is fine but hex screws are gone, while my frame is rusty but hex screws are fine.

I share your concern about getting it all back together again!! I am scared to even uncross my fingers.

I will post some photos of inside the boiler and of the frame when I get a chance.

A_M

If have problems, ther are a few around and I am sure that other cs members that have: will be happy to provide a pic or two.

Have s26 at home and plenty of tools etc so if ya down Brisbane way and ya need a hand.. Drop me a pm.