Thread: Coil solenoid for Rancilio Lucy/Silvia - part number?

Coil solenoid for Rancilio Lucy/Silvia - part number?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

This is the first issue I have had with the Lucy and it happened the night before the new buyer was due to pick it up >:( at least it didnt happen the night after he picked it up :-[

Everything is working except there is no water coming out the group. I get water out the steam arm, it heats up, the pump is running and the boiler is refilling when I take water out teh steam arm so it must be the coil solenoid for the group head, right?. :-/

Fortunatley its only a $27 part and easy to change myself, before I order it I as wondering if anyone would be able to double check the part number for me?

coffeeparts gives the rancilio coil solenoid as 700181-22 but AllanFrew gives it as the Brasilia part 700179-22 :-?

Can anyone confirm the part I should order as I dont think they are interchangable.

Should I be looking at anything else?

Many thanks
    Trent

A_M

Re: Coil solenoid for Rancilio Lucy/Silvia - part number?

Quote Originally Posted by 3731262D3730282A430 link=1263336325/0#0 date=1263336325
    Hi all,

This is the first issue I have had with the Lucy and it happened the night before the new buyer was due to pick it up >:( at least it didnt happen the night after he picked it up :-[
    Everything is working except there is no water coming out the group. I get water out the steam arm, it heats up, the pump is running and the boiler is refilling when I take water out teh steam arm so it must be the coil solenoid for the group head, right?. :-/

Fortunatley its only a $27 part and easy to change myself, before I order it I as wondering if anyone would be able to double check the part number for me?

coffeeparts gives the rancilio coil solenoid as 700181-22 but AllanFrew gives it as the Brasilia part 700179-22 :-?

Can anyone confirm the part I should order as I dont think they are interchangable.

Should I be looking at anything else?

Many thanks
    Trent
    Had the same issue on the S26... *Bit of crap stuck in the soleniod its self... The coil was 100% ok...

A quick 3 sec check with a DVM (CS meter in ohms range) will confirm.... DO NOT DO THIS WITH POWER CONNECTED>>>

700181-22 looks ok and rated at 240V

Quote Originally Posted by 5F70797B6C537F707F797B737B706A1E0 link=1263336325/1#1 date=1263337311

Had the same issue on the S26... *Bit of crap stuck in the soleniod its self... The coil was 100% ok...

A quick 3 sec check with a DVM (CS meter in ohms range) will confirm.... DO NOT DO THIS WITH POWER CONNECTED>>>

700181-22 looks ok and rated at 240V

Thanks AM

The solenoid wasnt easy to undo so I was hoping it was the coil ;D

I did think that there may have been something (scale?) blocking the solenoid but the coil swap looked like an easier fix ;D

My multimeter died the other night, what is the CS recommended model, that I could also use when roasting?

Which pins should I test wth the multimeter?

Just had the same problem myself with a Sylvia. The 700181 is a Lucifer, the 700179 is a Parker. The old solenoid off my Sylvia is a Parker.

The lady I spoke to at CoffeeParts said the person who knows which fits is away till next week. She gave me the dimensions of the 700179 and these match my old one. However the original off my machine is rated at 7W, and, from memory, the 700179 is rated at 9W.

Anyway I have ordered the 700179 and hope it works!!

Shakin Stevens
    Bargara Beach

Thanks SS, I would be very, very suprised if Allan Frew was wrong on this one, I just have a cautious nature.

What were your symptoms? did you check the solenoid itself for a physical blockage?

Just seen your most recent post. My solenoid did offer some resistance. But I put a tea towel around the top plastic piece (with the ribs for grip) and gently gripped with a vice grip. Gently turned and she came off easily. After that, spanners did the rest.

Which part is not co-operating for you?

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 7D7B6C677D7A6260090 link=1263336325/2#2 date=1263337900
    My multimeter died the other night, what is the CS recommended model, that I could also use when roasting?

Which pins should I test wth the multimeter?
    See the Bean bay - other stuff http://beanbay.coffeesnobs.com.au/ViewProduct.aspx/318-usb-temperature-data-logger

The solenoid only has two wires... Dont try to measure from a terminal strip... Measure the coil DIRECTLY and with the system wiring disconnected...

I will say it again... Do not have teh power lead connected to you machine.. And get an EST by a qualified person; prior to plugging back into the grid.

We are hopping over each others messages, but thats OK.

I did check the solenoid itself - no evidence of dirt. Did not test the coil, went straight to ordering.

Also, to get a close up of the part 700179, on the Coffee Parts website, go to Spare Parts for Pavoni, on pate 1 find the 700179 number in blue, click on that, it opens up a photo of the actual part.

Thanks again AM.

This solenoid has three wires, http://www.coffeeparts.com/brasilia/700179_22.htm

I didnt have a matching spanner for the solenoid, and as it is a brass part I didnt want to round off any corners so I just gave it a lightish try with an adjustable spanner (kinown in the trade as nut f****ers ;)). Ill drop by a mate on the way home and raid his tool box for the correct fit.

The bit I was having trouble undoing is the metal bit that the coil solenoid goes over, the plastic parts on a Lucy are on the end of a teflon hose.

A_M

My solenoid looked OK...

Coil measured ok and tested on the bench as OK..

Tested as a complete unit on teh bench... No slug movement.

Solenoid was then carefully disassembled and washed in coffee cleaner and then rinsed in clean water.

Tested and every thing working as expected..

You guys with problems... need to live closer :D ;D :o

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 4640575C4641595B320 link=1263336325/9#9 date=1263338899
    Thanks again AM.

This solenoid has three wires, http://www.coffeeparts.com/brasilia/700179_22.htm

I didnt have a matching spanner for the solenoid, and as it is a brass part I didnt want to round off any corners so I just gave it a lightish try with an adjustable spanner (kinown in the trade as nut f****ers ;)). Ill drop by a mate on the way home and raid his tool box for the correct fit.

The bit I was having trouble undoing is the metal bit that the coil solenoid goes over, the plastic parts on a Lucy are on the end of a teflon hose.

Thats why I say get a Qualified person.. The bigger one on its own is the earth...

Thus between the Earth and the other two it shall be Open cct Any leakage to teh earth is a problem..

Between teh two coil wires you should get a low OHMS measurement... This will depend on teh coil and its rating... Short is a problem and usually it goes OPEN..

I say again... Electricity can and does KILL. Get a qualified person to check any work you do AND THAT ALL WORK YOU DO... SHALL BE DONE WITH THE POWER LEAD REMOVED>>>

Quote Originally Posted by 406F6664734C606F6066646C646F75010 link=1263336325/11#11 date=1263339287

Thats why I say get a Qualified person.. *The bigger one on its own is the earth...
    Whats the worse that could happen? ::)

Quote Originally Posted by 406F6664734C606F6066646C646F75010 link=1263336325/11#11 date=1263339287

I say again... Electricity can and does KILL. *
    Oh that :o Yeah OK, point taken 8-)

So when are you moving? :D