Thread: gaggia classic

gaggia classic

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey all,

Just got a 2nd hand classic this week, gave it a few test runs with some old coffee to see if it worked then went out today to get the silvia steam want a new tamper some freshly ground goodness and a pitcher.

First shot went alright, was blonding quite early but still produced a tasty coffee, 2nd shot water began to leak from the portafilter edges and again on the 3rd but not as badly. Im guessing it could be the gasket?

Also after steaming the milk, steam still slightly seeps from the wand for a minute or so, is this normal?

thanks

Re: gaggia classic

Sounds very much like a gasket to me. I ordered one this week from Coffee Parts (one of the sponsor links on the left hand side :) Mine was going much the same. Replaced the gasket and no problems.

As for the millk issue I assume you still have the original steam wand? I would imagine this would be normal due to the wand perhaps sucking a bit of milk up when you turn it off. Ive modded my classic with the silvia wand and it doesnt do that. A good wipe afterwards sorts that out.

As markso said, replacing the group head seal with fix that leak. In regards to the steam, it may be a seal in the steam valve assembly. Again, Coffee Parts will be your friend. Ask Pedro for any help you require.

Cheers,
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by 262A392038244B0 link=1263477904/1#1 date=1263510534

As for the millk issue I assume you still have the original steam wand? I would imagine this would be normal due to the wand perhaps sucking a bit of milk up when you turn it off. Ive modded my classic with the silvia wand and it doesnt do that. A good wipe afterwards sorts that out.

nahh i have the silvia wand, its done it with both, i usually just let out some steam for a about 5 seconds after wards, but i think ill give coffee parts a call or msg.

could the gasket problem be causing channeling? or am i not tamping with enough force?

its stopped leaking after i cleaned some grounds away from around the screen. that could have been the problem.

but the wand problem has worsened, it only used it about 3 times before replacing it with the silvia wand. now today it drips a few drops of water while the machine heats up and also leaks a slow stream of steam after using it and yeah i think its also sucking up a bit of milk im not sure.

So Im guessing youve called Coffee Parts and exhausted all possibilities to do with an issue with the steam valve?

ordered steam valve and gasket seal from di bartoli.

hopefully will fix the prob.

thanks guys!