Thread: gaggia classic steam valve removal.

gaggia classic steam valve removal.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    just replacing the steam valve in my classic.
    its really hard to get off ive read to pry it off with a screw driver ive tried but it wont budge and i dont want to force it to much.

any help much appreciated

mike

Re: gaggia classic steam valve removal.

also decided to take of the shower screen, was full of crap last owner obviously rarely cleaned it and i cant get the screen plate/holder thing out to clean seperately. any tips?

Hi Mike

We used to have Gaggia Classic and the trick was to periodically take the shower screen off to clean it - my husband always did it and to my knowledge was always just able to unscrew it reasonably easily. He used to also take the next thick plate off also to give it a clean. From memory both used to come out fairly easily or at least with a little nudge from the screwdriver prying it down. As for the valve we opted to put up with a drippy steam wand.

Good luck - ours gave us many years of good service until I suffered from upgradits!!

Cheers

Hi hvyw8,

If your referring to the hockey puck like shower screen holder:
    The ones I have seen have had 2 hex bolts fixing them to the boiler base plate and are often cemented in place by an accumulation from the years that had settled here on the way through, then with heat and pressure had turned it to stone.

I have removed the shower screen holder by:
    1. Ramping up my prising tapping pressure until the stone let go.
    or
    2. by screwing a longer bolt into the shower screen bolt hole and after it had bottomed on the boiler base plate, used further gentle torque combined with prising tapping until the stone let go.

I have found this problem on several Gaggias

Otherwise, no.

Kind Regards
    Lindsay

yeah i would like to clean mine regularly but the last person to own this obviusly didnt. its fairly seized on by the looks of it and i dont want to ruin the recess that it sits in by forcing it too much.

got the shower plate off after some time. whats a good way to clean that and the shower screen? do i have to use a certain cleaning product or is there another way to do this. if not can anyone recommend a good product for cleaning gaggias

If the shower screen is really blocked up, then maybe a new one. They are cheap (around the $20 mark from memory. Using pin very gently so as not to make the holes bigger is another option if you have an evening with not much else to do!

As for the steam valve, it will come off the top of cylinder after leverage (that is fine screw driver). Know that it sounds drastic, but thats what I had to do and no bad side effects latter.

Quote Originally Posted by 27393638774F0 link=1263901020/5#5 date=1263964227
    got the shower plate off after some time. whats a good way to clean that and the shower screen? do i have to use a certain cleaning product or is there another way to do this. if not can anyone recommend a good product for cleaning gaggias
    For cleaning of the shower screen, which is a tough stainless steel plate I have soaked it in a strong detergent and bleach or scrubbed with a stiff bristle brush.
    For cleaning of the shower screen holding plate (hockey puck)
    I have found it satisfactory to carefully scrape any adherent material off with a flat screwdriver then complete the clean with a scrub using a stiff bristle brush.
    Clean debris from all surfaces and water rinse before reassembly(including water passages and screw threads).
    Future disassembly for occasional cleaning should not be difficult as the formation of cement/stone takes some time.
    A Gaggia Manual recommends descaling approximately at 2 monthly intervals with (predictably) a Gaggia descaler and no other user servicing.
    My practice has been about weekly to backflush with a little dishwasher detergent powder using a blind basket, clean the filter basket and holder using a soak in dishwasher detergent and hot water, a scrub with a bristle brush and fresh water rinse.
    Perhaps others could improve on this protocol but it seems satisfactory for my needs.

Lindsay