Thread: rancilio lucy, not heating up, please help

rancilio lucy, not heating up, please help

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    ok so ive finished my rebuild, it looks fantastic, but it doesnt heat up.

pump works, and water flows through group and new wand.

it just dont heat.

i double checked my wiring, and it is exact with how it was assembled before. i know that the terminals for the element are working because i got zapped by accident.

anyone have any clues? i read something about a reset button on a thermo, i can see what may resemble one on the front one, it was pressed in, i noticed it clicks outwars too, is this the reset button?

there is a red dot (not sure if its button) on one of the top ones too.

any help would be great!

Re: rancilio lucy, not heating up, please help

Do a search; the question has come up before.
    I dont own one so cant give you the answer.
    Someone should be along with the answer soon.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 030B07062F25244A0 link=1263987822/0#0 date=1263987822
    ok so ive finished my rebuild, it looks fantastic, but it doesnt heat up.

pump works, and water flows through group and new wand.

it just dont heat.

i double checked my wiring, and it is exact with how it was assembled before. i know that the terminals for the element are working because i got zapped by accident.

anyone have any clues? i read something about a reset button on a thermo, i can see what may resemble one on the front one, it was pressed in, i noticed it clicks outwars too, is this the reset button?

there is a red dot (not sure if its button) on one of the top ones too.

any help would be great!
    Sooner or later... One of you guys is going to end up FRIED... AND DEAD.

I will say it again.. Do not play and or mod and turn on; UNTIL it has been checked by an Electrician and teh covers back on..

Note: When the time comes, and it will.. No Sympathy - Just a "I told ya so" :o

PS.

As to the cut out... Yes... Lost of guides and instructions and even pics on CS and other places.. Use the search function..

Its absolutely my mistake, and a silly one at that, i thought i had unplugged the machine, but infact had not. it wasnt due to just messing around with stuff i wasnt sure of.

if i was you, i wouldnt give sympath either, stupid move on my part.

ive done a search for related issues and havent turned up anything besides my own thread. on other sites ive turned up info on the reason for need to reset the the thermos, and what trips them.

have tried to reset the thermo. but to no avail. my mate (qualified electrician) is coming around tomorrow arvo to have a looksee for me.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 4E464A4B626869070 link=1263987822/3#3 date=1263999678
    i thought i had unplugged the machine, but infact had not
    Yep... Happens..

Tis why you De energise and then Disconnect and then TEST...

When ya search make sure you select a decent time frame 3 months or last year.. Oh and make sure you use the right search string.. Here or on Google.

A: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1239770615/10

1: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1231291333/1#1

2: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1199249127/1#1

3: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1148872402/17#17

And for your electrician - http://home.surewest.net/frcn/Coffee/silviawire.html

IAMLeon,

Also note that the wiring diagram above is for Silvia. Lucy has a low water level cut off which which is indicated when the light comes on (light on means you need to fill it up), also if the water is low the whole unit (except the grinder) will cut out, no pump, no heating. Also the grinder is wired in there too.

FYI theres not a lot of info on Lucy, but there are plenty of posts about Siliva (Coffee machine) and Rocky (grinder)

AM, Getting an electrician to check our work has been mentioned before. Can any electrican check and verify this type of machine or does it need to be taken to a white goods type service shop (with a qualified electrian) to be checked out???

ok so unfortunately its the boiler element. My mat checked all the thermos for continuity and the only thing that didnt flow was the element. I cant afford to get a new one just now, there are bills to come shortly.
    I was thinking maybe a company like mocopan has spares? Used but working from machines with other issues maybe? Any thoughts?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 6A626E6F464C4D230 link=1263987822/6#6 date=1264474923
    ok so unfortunately its the boiler element. My mat checked all the thermos for continuity and the only thing that didnt flow was the element. I cant afford to get a new one just now, there are bills to come shortly.
    I was thinking maybe a company like mocopan has spares? Used but working from machines with other issues maybe? Any thoughts?
    Hi Leon,

If youre in Melbourne, I have a bloke who can do a boiler repair if required. He can tap a new element into the newer 1 piece arrangement on more current Silvias as well. Its fair bit cheaper than a new boiler ;)

Chris

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 7A727E7F565C5D330 link=1263987822/6#6 date=1264474923
    dont forget http://coffeeparts.com/

Hi IAMLEON just found your post , have you got silvia back in business ? Hazey.

Site Sponsor

Iamleon,

we have this item in stock if you need it as well.

http://www.dibartoli.com.au/product_details.asp?pid=214

Regards

Renzo
    Di Bartoli Home Barista Centre

Hi IAMLEON that sould have said lucy not siliva, hazey.

I bought an element for the lucy for $80 delivered from a UK seller

you have a link?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 61424646525F434E4944445F2B0 link=1263987822/12#12 date=1265716499
    I bought an element for the lucy for $80 delivered from a UK seller
    Quote Originally Posted by 626A66674E44452B0 link=1263987822/13#13 date=1265863440
    you have a link?
    NB- Element does not not = boiler

Posts have been modified. Members are reminded to observe site sales and posting policy- posted as a sticky item everywhere *>:( *::)

sorry im confused by what your saying, im well aware that the element itself differs from the boiler.

I think hes saying that the older Silvia/Lucy has an element as part of the boiler, ie you replace half the brass boiler to change the element (plus you will need a new gasket). The newer Silvia has a element that you can change without have to replace half the boiler I think.

Chris from Talkcoffee mentioned someone that can tap an element into a old style which might be cheaper, but he hasnt put a price out for it to the public.

the cost of having the element replaced is still fairly close to buying a whole new boiler.

from what ive read, it does seem the newer silvias have a replaceable element, but doesnt seem to be available from rancilio.

i have found overseas places that have them, non genuine parts though. it would require drilling out the old one. but they do not ship internationally.

looks as though its not worth the hassle.
    once some other things are payed for, ill just hit coffee parts up for a new boiler.

alright so i sucked it up and bought a new boiler, its in the mail and ill be installing it tomorrow..

i tried to upload all my rebuild photos last night but it didnt work, im going to start a new thread with photos from start to finish, and tomorrow i will add photos of my babys first shots :)

so excited to see some pours into my bodum pavinas!

Quote Originally Posted by 5B535F5E777D7C120 link=1263987822/18#18 date=1267092600
    i tried to upload all my rebuild photos last night but it didnt work
    Ive been using photobucket, you can upload your photos resized and just link to the photo. It makes it easy and tons of storage.

Cant wait to see photos of your Lucy. Good luck with the boiler install, take it slow and remember to check your wiring before you turn her back on!

Not sure how you would go about it but you should try to get some water in the boiler before you turn it on. You dont want to blow that new element on your first powerup.

Someone thats done a Silvia/Lucy boiler before might beable to help you.

just trying to remember my password for photobucket haha
    ive got my wiring pretty sorted, i took another set of photos today for the wiring as i am no dis-assembling her again in order to replace the boiler.

good point on the water.. im not too sure what to do, i suppose i could pour some water in prior to attaching one of lines. but i would think that the machine would pump water into the boiler quicker than the element would heat to damaging temps?

anyone else have any insight?

A machine tech said to me that he just disconnects the heating element and lets the pump run until the boiler is full. Unplug, and then reconnect the heater.

Greg

How did it all go? Did you get the boiler and plumb it in yet? Still waiting for photos...