Thread: Any recommendations for newbie & to practise after barista course

Any recommendations for newbie & to practise after barista course

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

First hello to anyone reading this. I have longed for a coffee machine for months and years and finally I have an excuse. I "sent" my daughters on a barista training course and I am looking to buy a machine for < $1000 that would serve good coffee and allow them to practise their new skills on.

I have just looked at the Breville BES860 with built in grinder and also the Sunbeam EM models. Previously I had looked at the Jura Ena but I am leaning away from automatic models as I dont believe you can learn barista skills on auto models.

Any suggestions welcome. Also am I correct on the auto models? Any experiences on these machines for newbies and newly trained but movice baristas?

Thanks.

Re: Any recommendations for newbie & to practise after barista course

welcome to CS, your right about autos, better just to stay away from them.

I assume that your girls would have used commercial machines (or close to commmercial) to do the course on? A breville may not actually allow them to improve their skills.....

where are you located? we can point you toward a great sponsor etc to have a look at your best options.

Leeham

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply. We are in Terrey Hills, Sydney. Yes, they would have used a commercial machine. One other factor is footprint - which is why I liked the combo version of the Breville and I have since seen the Lelit Combi but I am not sure of a supplier for that one. I also realise that I will not be able to fully replicate a commercial machine with a budget < $1000 but there might be some budget machine that give them a closer experience.
    Thanks,
    Richard

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 3E2D22282D74744C0 link=1264909486/2#2 date=1264925627
    Hi,
    Thanks for the reply. We are in Terrey Hills, Sydney. Yes, they would have used a commercial machine. One other factor is footprint - which is why I liked the combo version of the Breville and I have since seen the Lelit Combi but I am not sure of a supplier for that one. I also realise that I will not be able to fully replicate a commercial machine with a budget < $1000 but there might be some budget machine that give them a closer experience.
    Thanks,
    Richard
    <<<<< site sponsor cuppacoffee sell the Lelit in Sydney

Lelit combos are available from sitesponsors, see Talk Coffee and Cuppacoffee.
    This would be and excelllent machine...single boiler machines require good barista skillls and consistant technique.
    Also worth considering would be a Rancillio Silvia.
    The Silvia is more expensive, but has commercial size portafilters.

Both of these machines [in the right hands] can produce very good shots and texture milk very well.
    The biggest drawbacks are the wait for the boiler to reach steam temp following the shot extraction [30-40sec], and the fact they are not designed for multiple coffees.

jetblack espresso (sponsor)
    www.jetblackespresso.com.au
    Shop 1/271 Military Road
    Cremorne, *NSW, *2090

may not have the Lelit but will have a Silvia and many other machines for you to try and a great palce to visit.

easy drive from your area, i was up your way today :) at frenchs forest and saw the sign to Terrey area.

just time the spit bridge and your laughing.....

benefit of the em6910 is the thermoblock allows you to pour shot and steam milk at same time. Downside of EM / BES is its built more like a toaster than a coffee machine.

single boiler does not allow milk and shot at same time (lelit and silvia etc) but built built to a better standard. They do have a less user friendly operating system but, and this is why you should try one before you buy one. *

if you can stretch yourself $$$
    look at this
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1264043737
    your gonna need a grinder but.....
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1264370964
    (shameless self interest plug in the grinder... :) )

good luck
    leeham

PS
    after google maping you another good sponsor is just down the other road....
    Sibonis Coffee
    975 Pacific Highway
    Pymble
    NSW 2073
    http://www.sibonis.com.au

Hi,

Thanks for the assistance. I think from practicalities of size, etc. I am looking at the Lelit or the Breville BES860. The Silvia plus grinder would be overkill for my needs at this stage - maybe a future upgrade.

Regards,

Richard

Caffeine Junky

I would go for the Lelit. They are built like tanks and very similar to the Silvia. They have been sold by various other names but all made in the same factory in Italy.

My version is the Quaha Napoletana II. Around 5-6 years old and still going strong.

My friend bought the Breville and it ended up being faulty. Returned to store for replacement and that was faulty, so was the next one. After 3 machines of poor quality control he decided to cut his losses and bought something else.

The Lelit is repairable by any competent technician. If something goes wrong with a Breville you will be at the mercy of the local service agent.

I would go for the Lelit too. As it has been said before, the Breville ones are built more like appliances rather than coffee machines. And if you get the Lelit from one of the sponsors, you can be sure to get excellent after-sales service and support from them should anything go wrong with the machine.

Hi,
    Just an update. I have decided to go for the Lelit and I am just waiting for them to be restocked as typically the shop had a rush on them during the week when I was thinking about this. Anyway in a couple of weeks or so I should be set up and my daughters will be able to treat me to a proper coffee at home :) I wll let you know how it goes and my first impressions of the Lelit.
    Thanks again.
    Richard

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 4F5C53595C05053D0 link=1264909486/9#9 date=1266006771
    Hi,
    Just an update. I have decided to go for the Lelit and I am just waiting for them to be restocked as typically the shop had a rush on them during the week when I was thinking about this. Anyway in a couple of weeks or so I should be set up and my daughters will be able to treat me to a proper coffee at home :) I wll let you know how it goes and my first impressions of the Lelit.
    Thanks again.
    Richard
    Hi Richard, theyre available from Cuppacoffee and Talk Coffee. If Dennis is out of stock, we can send one north with our Monday freight or arrange inexpensive delivery directly to you.

Chris

I second the Lelit Combi.........awesome machine after only 5 days....incredible difference compared old my old Breville.......

It is a good choice th Newbies........:)