Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Sunbeam 6910 - Head rusty / flaking

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    57

    Sunbeam 6910 - Head rusty / flaking

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All

    Whilst cleaning the machine today, I found that the head is looking flaky and rusty. If you look at the photo (not sure how it will come out on this board), you can see parts where its flaking away. I touched one piece and it broke off. I havent used the cleaning tablet yet - all seems a bit odd to go cleaning it when there is what looks like serious issues with it...

    Its 11 months old. Appreciate any advice on it. Thanks

    Andrew


  2. #2
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: Sunbeam 6910 - Head rusty / flaking

    Quote Originally Posted by 022433123E3F25233032253E23510 link=1266298929/0#0 date=1266298929
    Hi All

    Whilst cleaning the machine today, I found that the head is looking flaky and rusty. If you look at the photo (not sure how it will come out on this board), you can see parts where its flaking away. I touched one piece and it broke off. I havent used the cleaning tablet yet - all seems a bit odd to go cleaning it when there is what looks like serious issues with it...

    Its 11 months old. Appreciate any advice on it. Thanks

    Andrew
    Showing some typical signs of a lack of chemical back flushing and cleaning process.

    Normal: *for say the large majority of users..

    The flaky stuff is coffee oils and fine coffee grinds.. * Bet ya collar is on the way out as well.

    Cleaning every month or so depending on use...

    At *11 months as per you info provided, ya have well over stepped the maintenance requirements.. *So how often have you changes the anti-calk filter ?

    AM





  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    57

    Re: Sunbeam 6910 - Head rusty / flaking

    Hi AM

    It was a shock to me when I found out it was even that old. I backflush after every shot, but had not used the cleaning tablets before. The machine has had little use (3 to 5 cups per week). Filtered water used always. The instructions say to change the anti calc filter every 12 months, so was planning to do that.

    Im 99% sure that the flaking is the coating on the metal, not coffee. I should specify - the piece came off with a "snap" kinda sound, seemed to me like a piece of paint cracking.

    Head seal (page 8 # 7 - Im looking at the service manual on this site) looks OK, with a bit of oils to clean off.

    I guess Ill put it on for a group head clean cycle and see the results.....

  4. #4
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: Sunbeam 6910 - Head rusty / flaking

    Quote Originally Posted by 6C4A5D7C50514B4D5E5C4B504D3F0 link=1266298929/2#2 date=1266306455
    Hi AM

    It was a shock to me when I found out it was even that old. I backflush after every shot, but had not used the cleaning tablets before. The machine has had little use (3 to 5 cups per week). Filtered water used always. The instructions say to change the anti calc filter every 12 months, so was planning to do that.

    Im 99% sure that the flaking is the coating on the metal, not coffee. I should specify - the piece came off with a "snap" kinda sound, seemed to me like a piece of paint cracking.

    Head seal (page 8 # 7 - Im looking at the service manual on this site) looks OK, with a bit of oils to clean off.

    I guess Ill put it on for a group head clean cycle and see the results.....
    A plain water back flush does little other than flush out some grinds etc..

    The oils etc remain and set and go hard like a varnish.. That is also why the steam pump and dump solenoid fail... It sets like concrete and then you need to use a real cleaner and that stuff can be dangerous due to teh fumes it gives off etc.

    I would suggest you may need to use a normal coffee cleaner and do it a couple of times... The tabs are expensive and only good if used on a regular basis.. They are not a magic bullet.




  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    57

    Re: Sunbeam 6910 - Head rusty / flaking

    Thanks for the advice. Below is the result of the first clean with the sunbeam tablets. I can see however that there is definite peeling of the paint (looks a bit like a non stick surface from a frying pan) - see lower and left on the pic - unless the head is meant to be bare!! :-?



  6. #6
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: Sunbeam 6910 - Head rusty / flaking

    Quote Originally Posted by 597F684965647E786B697E65780A0 link=1266298929/4#4 date=1266308519
    Thanks for the advice. Below is the result of the first clean with the sunbeam tablets. I can see however that there is definite peeling of the paint (looks a bit like a non stick surface from a frying pan) - see lower and left on the pic - unless the head is meant to be bare!! *:-?
    Yea

    Just had a look at mine... Non stick, but the seal area is OK on mine, except for where the previous user had issues getting the seal out and used a drill :-)

    You could try calling SB... Would be interesting as to what they might say... However they could always state that you did not clean it sooner and thus the oils and crap caused the problem ;)

    But most systems are brass or a cast of sorts and they all tend to get a bit dirty and crappy with age and use..

    Thus I use a bead blaster to clean them up, when rebuilding any of my projects..

    The head on the EM6910 I have is about 4 years old and NONE of the coating is left :-) But it did make a great coffee the last time I used it ;)

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    101

    Re: Sunbeam 6910 - Head rusty / flaking

    yes mine was similar . Its like you say, the teflon coating on a frying pan peeling off. I dont think the coating serves an enormous purpose, other than to slow down corrosion of the cast alloy head.


  8. #8
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: Sunbeam 6910 - Head rusty / flaking

    Quote Originally Posted by 3A362523253E2F570 link=1266298929/6#6 date=1266317546
    yes mine was similar . Its like you say, the teflon coating on a frying pan peeling off. I dont think the coating serves an enormous purpose, other than to slow down corrosion of the cast alloy head.

    Great to see ya still around..

    And your ever helpful pics..

    Stay safe...

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    101

    Re: Sunbeam 6910 - Head rusty / flaking

    Quote Originally Posted by 19363F3D2A153936393F3D353D362C580 link=1266298929/7#7 date=1266321945
    Great to see ya still around..

    And your ever helpful pics..

    Stay safe...
    yup Im still checking in almost every day. Going to do a WIP on spinning up a tamp soon. 8-)

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    57

    Re: Sunbeam 6910 - Head rusty / flaking

    Just for completeness sake -

    The steam pump gave up about a month ago. I took it to the guy in Ashfield for service. Results:
    1. Steam pump replaced
    2. Collar replaced
    3. Head is fine - no problem
    4. Pressure all OK

    But a machine away for service gave me just the excuse I needed to go out and get a Domobar Jr though *::)
    Guess Ill have to organise sale of it the Sunbeam soon *;)



Similar Threads

  1. Sunbeam 6910 group head
    By royofsyp in forum Brewing Equipment - Midrange ($500-$1500)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 24th June 2013, 03:52 PM
  2. 6910 group head problem
    By russellb in forum Brewing Equipment - Midrange ($500-$1500)
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 12th February 2010, 12:14 PM
  3. 6910 group head leak
    By derrilex in forum Brewing Equipment - Midrange ($500-$1500)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 26th October 2009, 02:21 PM
  4. Removing group head screen for descaling - Sunbeam 6910
    By badge61 in forum Brewing Equipment - Midrange ($500-$1500)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 23rd February 2009, 09:51 PM
  5. Sunbeam 6910 G/Head Seal
    By runfast in forum Brewing Equipment - Midrange ($500-$1500)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 29th November 2007, 04:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •