Thread: Nespresso for the office?

Nespresso for the office?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Over the last year weve upgraded our staffing from 5 people to 10 and so the coffee machine has started to become a bit of a sticking point or bottleneck to operations. Also were having more client meetings with larger client groups so making half a dozen coffees on a small machine (Breville ES400) is starting to get time consuming.

I am the resident coffee geek and have a Sunbeam 6910 at home so I pushed for us to buy a 6910 and conical grinder. We had planned to do the basic barista course for all teh guys at Epic (were in Perth) as a bit a team builder slash giving something back to the guys we work with.

However my boss ont eh weekend has some coffee from a high end Nespresso machine and has kind of decided this is the way to go. I am very skeptical though on a few things :

Quality of coffee which he maintains is high (definitions vary).
    Reliability of machine making 10-30 cups of coffee a day.

Undeniably the Nespresso will be quicker and more convenient, however Im looking for some anecdotal evidence on teh coffee quality, milk frothing quality (as well have some external device for that) and reliability of them for office use. The videos Ive seen of the Nespresso pouring espresso and lungo have left me cringing at what Ive seen coming out of the spout. Milk frothing by the aerochino jugs has looked also pretty poor.

Thanks for any help!
    Aaron

Re: Nespresso for the office?

I cringe at the word Nespresso!!
    Aaron have you considered getting a decent grinder and doing filter or plunger coffee? Freshly ground with quality beans should keep everyone in the office supllied with quality coffee.

Hit your boss in his hip pocket $ / cup are cheaper even without going near the Nespressos possible failings over a semi auto and grinder.

Even a good well serviced full auto that will grind fresh is a better prospect than the nespresso.

At 10-30 coffees a day will the Sunbeam stand up either? Personally you really need to look at somthing a little more substantial and more $$ too :-?

Of the three possible options Nespresso at #3 by a wide margin ;)

Coffee quality is pretty fair if your not particularly fussy
    Milk from the Aerocino is crap compared to steamed milk

Thanks for the suggestion greenman, but no one in the office likes filtered coffee except for me :( Everyone is a espresso, latte, flat white drinker.

Beanflying, apparently the pods work out about the same per cup as theyre like $7 for 10? I havent even looked but the boss said that the pods were roughly the same price and given the reduced time to make and clean up cost was vastly in favour of the Nespresso per cup.

That Breville made about 10 cups a day five days a week with milk steaming and everything for about 2.5 years and has only just started to fall apart. Honestly I think replacing a couple of seals inside (steam comes out the group head when steaming milk) and itd be fine. I get what youre saying though, and you may be right, no matter what we do were probably bordering on requiring something more industrial. I think cost for such a setup though woudl not be justified yet.

Thanks for the help so far. Seems to be same story everywhere. Coffee is crap if you actually are into coffee, but its super convenient.

Id depends on what the boss thinks he gets back for having the machine there.
    If he doesnt care about the quality and the majority of the customers know no different then youve got buckleys of getting in something better.

Caffeine Junky

Are people currently making their own coffees on the Breville?
    Do you have a grinder?

I would not go for a 6910. Although its capable of making great coffee its just not designed for that type of environment.

With regards to cost per cup, Id say youre looking at no more than 30c so nespresso is at least double.

Something like a Bezerra BZ99 would be good.

Perhaps a visit to one of your local sponsors with your boss could help.

Quote Originally Posted by 686963706E6B71020 link=1267244871/6#6 date=1267277807
    Perhaps a visit to one of your local sponsors with your boss could help.
    Ah, but there are no sponsors in Perth. :-[

TC

Hi Aaron, Nespresso? Really?? *shudders** :D

I think that Nespresso is a great way to spend little on a very average machine and then get ripped off blind on capsules of overpriced stale stuff. Would you like a $29 printer with $350 toner cartridges with your purchase? * ;D

Might be worth getting the boss to work out the break even point on a decent volumetric HX, machine and timed doserless grinder and coffee at a fair price per kilo rather than megabucks *:-? Alternately, try $3k/10 staff/2 cups per day....The answer is 50 days...

Id suggest that you should look at a combo like Expobar Office control/Diadema Junior Elettronica/VBM Domobar Super Electronic with a Compak K3T or similiar. There is no way that a Nespresso boat anchor is going to cope with your needs any better than any other appliance machine

We ship to Perth all the time and have service arrangements there as well...

Chris

evo

ozzyaaron:

I think you have 2 queries there in which my solution may be slightly left of field, but along the lines of greenman.

1. Office headcount doubles from 5-10; current machine is dying.
    2. Client services (for meetings)

The way I see it is that you should really look at getting 2 machines, one for client liaison, and one for general (Unit9? Just a guess) office caffeine fixes.

If you are looking to cater for several people, who is going to be doing this job? Id personally be looking at a perculator/drip coffee machine (we just got one for my dad for under $50). So long as your end product is good, all is well! :)

If your office were to get a Nespresso machine, someone still has to hang around the kitchen texturing the milk, no?. Im not even sure why your boss needs a Nespresso as its just a gimmick, and is probably imagining he is George Clooney for that few moments while sipping on his Nespresso.

Then get your new fandangled domestic machine for normal use.

In any case, Id think your clients would rather come to get work done than for the coffee.