Thread: Help Silvia owners!

Help Silvia owners!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi fellow snobs,
    Im coming up to my 1st yr anniversary with Miss Silvia and things are going great - we really hit it off :) until tonight! I performed the standard chemical backflush and general maintenance last night - including taking off the shower screen and soaking it as well as the g/h etc. Now upon making tonights after dinner mint I struck trouble. I couldnt lock the group handle in at the normal mark (about 5 oclock-always there unless I updose) Thinking I uped the dosage I emptied and re-set and again same problem :-? So now Ive put in the group handle empty and still I cant get it to the mark I took off the shower screen and made sure everything was as it should, I also checked the spring and basket (looked ok) and tried again without both spring and basket to no avail. To really get it where it was going before Im leaning over 45* adding 90kgs of frustrated force....which cant be good for it!
    Im wondering what the hell is going on.
    Help anyone?? :-[

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Re: Help Silvia owners!

The only thing i can think of is the seal, maybe it slightly dislodged and some crap is stuck under it, does it feel like metal is stopping the grouphandle from turning or rubber? maybe try some food grade lube on the top of the basket minimise friction?

hmmmmmm

I had a quick look with the torch at the seal wsully, I really did give it a good clean - I rolled up a chucks and gave it a fair wipe! Do ya think I couldve wipe the seal dry? :-?

Quote Originally Posted by 676265637F6C6B0D0 link=1267705628/2#2 date=1267707614
    Do ya think I couldve wipe the seal dry?
    nah i was thinking......
    Quote Originally Posted by 5A5E786161647B6C630D0 link=1267705628/1#1 date=1267707340
    slightly dislodged and some crap is stuck under it

and any indication on this?
    Quote Originally Posted by 5A5E786161647B6C630D0 link=1267705628/1#1 date=1267707340
    does it feel like metal is stopping the grouphandle from turning or rubber?

cheers
    warren

Just took the shower screen off...again ::) Cant say I can see any impurities or crap under or around the seal Warren.

No indication of metal stopping the gh. It doesnt stop dead - it will keep going alot more effort than its used to. No grinding noise or feel(metal) But feeling some sort of rubberised friction. Ive locked it in and out several times in quick succession - with no immediate effect!

Trying hard not to give it the Fonzi tap (whack) ;D

All this from giving her a clean :-?

Just thought Id try a little water on the basket before locking in the g/h with success this time :) Might have to look into some food grade lube as you said Warren. Either that or stop using the super dooper gunk remover chux! ;D

Fingers crossed thats all it is...Thanks Warren ;)

By the way...whats the life of a seal? (very short in Canada I assume :o )

Good to hear mac! ;)
    The life of a seal depends on a few things.....
    1. quality of the product
    2. how hard you tighten the gh
    3. how clean you keep it up there(abrasion of coffee grinds against rubber)
    4. even the shape of the upper lip of the basket thats locking in there
    5. Frequency of use
    6. whether you leave the gh in tight when not in use....(loose is best ive heard)(please no pun intended ;))

When i had my silvia, it lasted 5 years until it needed replacement, but on the other hand....i think there is a silvia thread going at the moment that the OP has come to the conclusion that it needs replacement after only 7 months! :o :o from new!

So.....one of those "how long is a piece of string" questions unfortunately ::)

Take care of it and it should take care of you....and if it doesnt click here ;)

cheers
    warren