Thread: Questions on buying new machine

Questions on buying new machine

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,
    Ive been using a sunbeam em4800 with EM0480 for about 2 to 3 years now and ive been keeping it going by doing by own doggy repairs. Now Im looking to buy a new machine to replace it.

Ive been looking at getting the silvia as lots of people seem to say its a good machine. However I was wondering if it would be overkill for my needs as I would mostly use the machine to make one or two lattes a day using vittoria coffee beans ground with the above grinder.

One other question is how long does the siliva last without needing any serious matanance (ie problems with solinoids, valves or rust). I dont mind spending the money on a machine like this as long as its going to run for the next 5 years before needing any major service.

Thanks.

TC

Re: Questions on buying new machine

Quote Originally Posted by 616E7342564F230 link=1268534006/0#0 date=1268534006
    I would mostly use the machine to make one or two lattes a day using vittoria coffee
    Hello BMP and welcome,

You will find it extremely challenging to get a good result with supermarket stale beans and Id think you will do better at your local to be honest...

This jump requires a good grinder, great beans and excellent technique. As for longevity, its a matter of how well you choose to maintain it... ;)

2mcm

Caffeine Junky

As 2mcm says you really need to seriously reconsider your choice of beans! *Using freshly roasted from a good supplier will drastically improve your brews irrespective of equipment used. *

The Silvia has a well-deserved reputation for quality and longevity. *I dont think its overkill, in fact its perfect for someone who makes 1-2 cups at a time. The 0480 will probably be ok with the Silvia. *You would get better results with a better quality grinder but again, decent beans will make the biggest difference.

I have not owned a Silvia but just sold a similar machine to its third owner. *The Silvia has a tried and tested design, uses quality parts and should last many years IF you look after it, as with any machine.

Well cared for Silvias hold their value very well.

For similar money you may also want to consider the Lelit Combi, available from Talk Coffee (Melbourne) or Cuppacoffee (Sydney).

brett230873

My Silvia retained approx 2/3 of its value over the 10 years I owned and used it.... and used it! It made brilliant quality coffee (espresso) with a Lux grinder similar to yours. No matter how good the machine however, I cant get truely great espresso from Supermarket beans even Vittoria or the Neil Perry variety. Do your tastebuds a favour and see a local roaster or better yet, get a popcorn popper and hit bean bay. 10000 Coffee Snobs cant be wrong! Good luck and good hunting!

Yea I thought the beans I use wernt going to be good enought to fully get out what you can from this machine. I was looking at it more because that the internals look of good build quality and I thougth that it would be better shelling out a bit more now instead of buying another sunbeam/breville machine that could give me problems in the near future.

If I were to buy better beans and still used my old sunbeam grinder could i expect to get an average coffee out of the thing. I would prefer not to change my grinder as its still in good condition.

thanks 4 replies so far.

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 202F3203170E620 link=1268534006/4#4 date=1268535571
    If I were to buy better beans and still used my old sunbeam grinder could i expect to get an average coffee out of the thing.
    The 0480 is a good little grinder and in answer to your question.....yes! You should be able to get a cup as good as any cafe, and probably better than most.

If you compared the Sunbeam grinder side-by-side with something like a Mazzer Mini or Compak K3 then Im sure youd be able to pick a difference in quality, however without something to compare to, you should able to get very satisfactory results with the Sunbeam grinder.

Bretts experience with his Silvia seems to be the norm rather than an exception. Buying another Sunbeam/Breville will probably be false economy as a Silvia could out last 3 or 4 department store appliance machines.

brett230873

short answer: yes!

Working out:

Freshly roasted beans (from a quality roaster <----- ;-) + Sunbeam grinder + Silvia + good consistent practice = 5 (where 5 is awesome espresso)!

Thanks peoples *;) you have all been extreamly helpfull. I think that ill end up getting the silvia. On a side note anyone know any good places to buy coffee around the deerpark - sunshine area in Victoria off the top of ur head.

Do you have a popcorn popper in the cupboard? Why not grab a few kilos of green off here and try roasting yourself? At least you know its fresh and it wont cost you the earth :D

I echo what has been said above............Miss Silvia doesnt handle old or supermarket beans well at all. Do yourself the hugest favour - buy fresh beans from a reputable source and you will be saying yum to yourself all day long until you get home to make another one!!

good luck 8-)

@rennlic & expressed is best: Well I must say using a popcorn maker to roast coffee sounds original to me. Would you recommend the green coffee starter pack from this web site.

Absolutely--the starter pack is an ideal way to start.

Add a popcorn popper and you will very quickly be able to tell the importance of fresh beans in the coffee equation.

A quick search of this site can provide lots of info re: popper roasting.

Careful though--home roasting, like good coffee, is highly addictive. ::)

Greg

BMPaul I too started where ur @ I had my Em4800 for 5 years with no probe but then upgraded to Silvia & Rocky combo andincredible difference!! But one of the biggest was roasting green beans my poppers still kicking and Ive roasted bout 40kg through her and still running strong!!
    Fresh roasted beans and Silvia and good grinder perfect match!! ;D

Forgot to mention my wife, kids and I r on holidays and I took my old em4800 and rocky (and beans I roasted just before we left)down with us and I have been amazing at the difference in taste. I had the baskets in my old 4800 lathed but still the Silvia makes a far better brew!! Deeper, richer, sweeter and complex extraction. This is the first time I had tested both and have fallen in love with Miss Silvia all over again!!

Enjoy ur journey BMP ;)

I finally got the silvia. Im really happy with it and the build quality is excellent. The first shot I got out of it had a dark hazel colour that took me a long time to eventually get out of my old em4800. Still learning how to steam the milk as it is very different from the em4800 (the steam pressure is... well it looks like it would blow a hole though my hand :P). Anyway I look forward on developing my technique on this machine and I cant wait to get roasting with the starter pack (I still got 2kg left of my old coffee so I wont be roasting 4 a while). I would also like to thank all the people who replied to my post. Your input was invaluable when deciding on this machine *;D.