Thread: Help - pid is overheating my silvia

Help - pid is overheating my silvia

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    This morning I got back from a week away from home and turned on my rancilio silvia (with an auber instruments pid with steam controller and preinfusion) went away for about half an hour and was then alarmed to hear steam spitting and hissing from the return tube back into the water reservoir. The temperature reading at the top of the boiler according to the pid was about 170!!!

I quickly ensured the boiler was still full and turned everything off and let everything cool. THis afternoon I had another go and monitored the temperature more carefully. The temperature went up to 104 as normal (the set point for my PID) and then it kept heating up to over 124. It only stopped increasing because I turned it all off.

THis is strange. The PID has been working beautifully for over a year and normally it reliably does its job of sending pulses of current to keep the boiler at a very steady 104 degrees.

Does anybody know what might be happening/ had any similar experience/ suggest any troubleshooting tips?

cheers.
    h

Re: Help - pid is overheating my silvia

Ive got the same setup as you and had a very similar problem. In my case it was caused by some of the screw connectors on the back of the PID working themselves loose.

Most of the time the boiler would come up to a stable temperature, but sometimes the temperature display would drop down very low (I guess that the loose connection caused the faulty reading). Once the PID registered the low temperature it would start heating the boiler like crazy until it started reading correctly again. I didnt realise what was causing the overheating until I saw the temperature suddenly dip while I was watching it one day.

Anyway, in my case a quick tighten of the screw connectors was all it took to fix it. Hope your problem is as easily fixed!

I had the same exact problem...

And really dont know how I fixed it, other than I electric shocked myself by accident and since then its been perfect...

Gday Hugh...

Is your PID from one of Jims PID Kits? If so, Id be dropping him a message to see if he can help you work through it. It could be down to any number of things to be honest and Im not overly familiar with the Auber range of controllers, otherwise Id try and help you out.

Most likely culprits though in no particular order, are:

Fried SSR
    Fried Controller
    Wiring fault

Given that we are talking about 230V AC powered equipment here, that can KILL you or someone else, please make sure that the power plug is removed from the wall socket before removing any covers and poking around. And, NEVER poke around under the bonnet with power applied unless you are both qualified and licensed.... We dont want to lose any of our CSers.... :o

Mal.

Not one of Jims kits Mal but the same advice applies, the OP can contact Auber and see what they say.

Thanks all! Ill have a go with checking the wiring in to the controller, email auber and see how I go.

Hi , Try cleaning & redoing the silicon temp paste under the sensor . Dont forget to tweek the sensor body so it lays down flat on the boiler with paste all along the bottom side . Good luck

Hi hughwebb , Did you work out what was causing the problem ?

Quote Originally Posted by Healey View Post
    Ive got the same setup as you and had a very similar problem. In my case it was caused by some of the screw connectors on the back of the PID working themselves loose.

Most of the time the boiler would come up to a stable temperature, but sometimes the temperature display would drop down very low (I guess that the loose connection caused the faulty reading). Once the PID registered the low temperature it would start heating the boiler like crazy until it started reading correctly again. I didnt realise what was causing the overheating until I saw the temperature suddenly dip while I was watching it one day.

Anyway, in my case a quick tighten of the screw connectors was all it took to fix it. Hope your problem is as easily fixed!
    Had a similar problem searched CS and found this thread. Thankyou so much, tried tightening the screws, worked a treat, I didn't even give them a thought. I typically overcomplicate things, thought of everything other than loose connectors, some times it is the simple answer