Thread: Seeking advice on home machine purchase.

Seeking advice on home machine purchase.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

Im reasonably new to the world of coffee machines. I intend to buy a home machine this weekend. The two Im thinking of are the Sunbeam EM6910 and the Rancilio Silvia. Are there any better options for around the same price?

Im leaning more towards the Silvia. From what Ive read, its of better build quality. I believe there are different versions of the Silvia, is the one advertised on this site the latest one?
    http://(no free plug here)/rancilio-silvia-p-112.html?osCsid=7ccade7637d207543238992d36e12f01

Also is that a good price for the Silvia? If not, any recommendations on where to buy?

I would also need a grinder, any recommendations on which one and where to buy would be fantastic.

If there is anything else I would need besides the machine and grinder, if you could let me know thatd be very much appreciated!

Thanks soooo much! *:)
    Glenn

Re: Seeking advice on home machine purchase.

where to buy is based on your location, which is?????

the number one thing you will need is

GOOD FRESH COFFEE !!! 1kg min

you should ring that sponsor and ask what model it is.... best way is ask them

you could also look a lelit combo machine (grinder built in)
    http://www.talkcoffee.com.au/equipment/coffee-machine-lelit-combi.php

do you know the difference between the thermoblock and single boilers?

Caffeine Junky

Welcome Glenn. *This topic has been discussed many times so some may be apprehensive to contribute and point you to the search function above.

Most recently:
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1268181232/9#9

You can email site sponsors on the left of page, or contact all of them at once by emailing SiteSponsors@coffeesnobs.com.au (see bottom left of page)

Yes the 2009 version is the latest Silvia and that does seem like a good price. *You may want to check stocks with (no free plug here) as I know a lot of places are currently out. *Depending on your location you may want to visit CME or another of our sponsors (or several of them) to see what else is available.

The Rancilio Rocky is a good quality grinder that matches well with the Silvia. *The cheapest grinders you should consider are the Sunbeam EM0450 or EM0480. *If you can afford to, get something like the Compak K3 Touch or Mazzer Mini.

Quote Originally Posted by 464D444F4F524748444D45210 link=1268889817/0#0 date=1268889817
    Im reasonably new to the world of coffee machines.
    If I were you I would go out and visit some sponsors this weekend BUT do not buy until you are clear about you need (rather than what you want). *Do not buy on impulse or you may find yourself with a very expensive kitchen ornament or want to upgrade after 2 months.

Lastly, go to a store where the staff are passionate and knowledgeable about coffee, like any of our fine sponors. Do not expect to learn anything from staff at HN or GG other than this sunbeam can make coffee and steam milk at the same time.

Thanks guys, Ill do some more research for sure.

Apologies I forgot to mention my location is Perth.

Thanks again,
    Glenn

Caffeine Junky

Good on you Glenn and good luck. Unfortunately I dont think we have any spnsors in Perth but I know some sponsors from eastern states that provide local service agreements in Perth.

In order to provide the best advice you may want to tell us more about your coffee habits. What are you currently using, if anything? Do you mostly drink black or milk-based drinks? Are you likely to make lots of coffees whilst entertaining? Have you set yourself a budget for machine and grinder? Do you have any space limitations, including above-bench cupboards?

Quote Originally Posted by 696862716F6A70030 link=1268889817/4#4 date=1268893467
    In order to provide the best advice you may want to tell us more about your coffee habits. *What are you currently using, if anything? *Do you mostly drink black or milk-based drinks? *Are you likely to make lots of coffees whilst entertaining? *Have you set yourself a budget for machine and grinder? *Do you have any space limitations, including above-bench cupboards?
    Thanks Caffeine Junky. I am definitely a milk based coffee drinker. The machine will definitely be used whilst entertaining, however I wouldnt imagine more than 5-6 coffees per session and it wont be incredibly often. I would be using the machine twice a day regularly just for myself though.

I was hoping to have a machine and grinder for around the $1000 mark but Im thinking a decent grinder may set me back more than $200. Grinders are definitely something I need to do further research on. I heard the Rancilio Rocky is a good one but thats around the $400-500 mark?

Space is a bit of a factor but Im willing to move the non-essential appliances to make room :)

Caffeine Junky

Thanks for the extra info Glenn. *In my opinion there are a few options you have, none of which are perfect:

1. Sunbeam EM6910 + EM0480/0450
    Pros
    Within your budget
    Can make back to back milk coffees when entertaining
    Cons
    Reliability problems
    Can only be repaired at Sunbeam service centres

2. Rancilio Silvia
    Pros
    Commercial quality components
    Likely to last 10+ years if looked after
    Excellent resale value
    Can be repaired by any competent technician (or even yourself)
    Simple and proven design
    Parts and accessories easily available
    Commercial 58mm group
    Cons
    Above your budget (by $200-300)
    Slow if making more than 2 white coffees at a time
    Some say they can be finicky to use (others not)

3. Lelit Combi
    Pros
    Likely to last many years if looked after
    Can be repaired by any competent technician (or even yourself)
    Simple and proven design
    Good quality integrated grinder
    Within your budget
    Cons
    Slow if making more than 2 white coffees at a time
    May be issues with spare parts? (would want to check with sponors e.g. Talk Coffee)

You can swap things around i.e. Silvia + EM0450 or EM6910 + Rocky
    to fit your budet.

I have not owned a Silvia but have owned the other 2. Personally I would go the Silvia+Rocky combo. Its perhaps the most popular in Australia (maybe in other countries too) and has been for a long time. It will be slow when entertaining but if thats only going to be occassional then its probably something you can live with.

Some more points to consider:
    1. All of these machines are capable of producing an excellent coffee
    2. The biggest factor irrespective of equipment is the quality and freshness of coffee beans being used. If youre only ever going to buy beans from the supermarket then this discussion is worthless
    3. Dont underestimate the value of a good quality grinder. The advice from experts is always to buy the best you can afford.

WOW! I couldnt have said it better myself. What an awesome summary!!!

Glenn, I hope youre taking this in.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1203334054