Thread: Need help with upgrade

Need help with upgrade

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Guys,

Man Im glad I found this site - it rocks! Kudos to the experts that help out here.

I was wondering if I could get some advice on my next upgrade. I have been using a Roma for the last 6 years, and while it performed well, I have now realised that I dont need to drink bad coffee at home anymore (or need to run to the bathroom 5 mins after drinking a coffee at home).

Im not a barista, but I like a good cup. Basically, the machine will be used by my wife ~2 times a day and *myself on the weekends. We have a pretty basic Moulinex grinder and purchase beans from the supermarket (I can hear the scoffs from here).

Time to take a step up I hear.

I have been reading up on brands and come to the Sunbeam EM6910 or Rancilio Silvia (although the Lelit has an in-built grinder, its pretty expensive). I found a great compare site...
    http://www.coffeetamper.com.au/kb/reviews/sunbeam-silvia/

Anyone have comments on a good set-up based on our needs?

Also, I need to replace our faulty water filter in the kitchen sink. I read that you can purchase filter that make the water better for coffee making. Any suggestions?

With most things in life, $$ is a big part in all of this as well. Im still in discussions with my financial advisor to justify spending ~$800. She thinks $300 is too much, but Id say my budget would max out at $800 for everything total.

Thanks in advance!

Urban

Re: Need help with upgrade

Its going to get said so I will be the first GET A GOOD GRINDER !!!!

Your coffee will be ordinary until you do this first step.

Minimum grinder for decent espresso is the Sunbeam 480 or better yet Rocky, Ascaso, Ibiteral etc.

Machine is third to the good beans first then the grinder in getting decent coffee.

As long as your Breville Roma still works, your budget is adequate.

1. *Keep the Roma--it is not the weak link. The coffee basket may need some surgery if it is the pressurised version. (There is lots of info here on how to do this, or what baskets to purchase if you are not handy. You may also qualify for my pay it forward basket offer.)

2. *Buy the best grinder you can manage--at a minimum the Sunbeam 0450, but preferably up to a Rocky or Compak. See the sponsors (on the left) for prices. The Moulinex WILL NOT DO THE JOB! (D*mn, beanflying beat me by 1 minute.)

3. *Use only freshly roasted beans. If the beans dont have a "roasted on" date that is less than 3 weeks ago--they are stale, no matter how they are packed.

4. *Practice until you get it.

Greg
    ps--welcome to CoffeeSnobs.

snap ;D beat you by a minute

welcome UBC

what BF said maybe best to upgrade the grinder a few steps then get onto some fresh beans? Use some plunger and stovetop for while (and your old machine) save you pennys and get the better machine....?

that said, the diff between the SB and the RSilvia is big. where the SB is user friendly for steaming and brewing the RS is a bit more work.
    SB will most likely die before a silvia (assuming some form of care and attention is used in both).

whats your location then a site sponsor can be recommended for you to look at :)
    Leeham

I had a laugh - thanks for the replies.

The machine kinda still works.

Not sure of the technical terms, but I took the stainless steel filter off of the machine (where the coffee handle thingy slots into) and it was rank. Many colours of the spectrum lurking about in there. Next I took the plastic bit out of where the coffee bucket slots into on the handle, and again heaps of gross bits.

I gave them all a clean and put it all together again but almost too scared to make a coffee from it. Thought it would be easier to just upgrade.

But from what it sounds like - spend the $$ on the grinder and do a proper clean of the machine.

Urban

Edit: Spelling and Im in Sydney

yeah give it a really good clean 1st, remove the shower screen as well.
    descale etc..... then reconsider the upgrade if needed right now

find a local roaster and grab some beans

plenty of great sponsors here in SYD for looking and upgrades.........

I agree with what the people have said. Some fresh beans from your local roaster and an unpressurized filter basket will make a HUGE difference. Just try it and let us know. ::)

Will do.

Thanks for the comments guys.

So I thought I had finally come to a conclusion in regard to which machine to buy.

In conjunction to the comments above and other posts I have bought a SB480 grinder and had decided to actually get a machine (either Silvia or SB6910) as well.

Like a good husband I sent wifey a number of reviews and articles on both and even a comparison as well. Personally, I liked the Silvia over the SB, mainly because I like the challenge of perfecting something - be it a coffee or building the perfect computer etc.

The reply I got....

"
    pro - great for men who love little fiddly, gadgety bits that take ages to master and only need to be used randomly

con - causes wives to moan and bitch in the morning cos they are pissed off with all the fiddly gadgety bits they cant be buggered to master while the kids scream and fall over ;-)

"

Not much I can really say to that.

Looks like its the SB.

;D You actually asked giggled like a schoolgirl.

For wife approval factor the Sunbeam will always win out also steam to shot and straight back is a good time saver if your doing a few milk drinks. Longevity and ruggedness is the obvious downside. If it is offered and you can fit it in Sunbeam do offer some intro courses into coffee too, somtimes gratis with the machine.

Personally after having a single boiler dual use machine they are a bit of a pain with back to back milk drinks. But the Silvia will still be going strong for years to come.

With either make sure you feed them clean filtered water and descale and maintain them for years of good coffees ahead. Or you could always rebel against the main stream and buy a Lever machine *;)