Thread: Servicing Miss Silvia?

Servicing Miss Silvia?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Generally i am a DIY kind of person so i was wondering what would be involved with servicing my Gen 1 Rancilio Silvia if i took it to a shop, as i am considering doing it myself. *I use a blind filter basket and cafetto every month or so but it has not been descaled in the 2-3 years i have owned it. *

Do they adjust pressures or temperatures? *And what would a basic service be worth? *and finally is there any recommended shops to have it serviced at on The Brisbane South side preferably towards Ipswich?

Cheers

Re: Servicing Miss Silvia?

Hey Jay Im in the same boat as u been wondering same question.

I clean her after each use then, once a month cafetto clean it with blind filter. But I also every 5-6 months descale it to keep her in tip top shape.

Descaling is important to prevent a build up of scale etc even though I use filtered water.

Anything else Im not sure. What do others suggest?? :)

JayG,

I got quotes to get a service for lucy (siliva + rocky in one) and QCMS quoted me about $150 to do it from memory. They are in Westend. I never actually got the service done because it was mainly my grinder that was playing up at the time and I didnt fancy lugging a 25kg machine down from the Sunny Coast in the car.

Just send them an email and they will give you a quote. Remember to let us know how it all goes. Might be best to also ask them whats covered in the service, ie are parts extra and what is involved in the service.

As far as I know (not from experience) a service would entail checking the machine over, replacing any o rings, group seal as required, a descale as required. The machine should be returned to you squeeky clean and with the peace of mind that its working as it should.

Check this out for more info http://www.barazi.com.au/Bezzera-Dal-1901/inventor-of-espresso/bezzera-service-schedule

Re descaling do you use filtered water?

Lacehim

Lacehim I still descale even with Brita filter being used.

I just dont have to descale as often as I would without filtered water.

I forgot to mention that a friend of mine has a 6910 and it stopped working fully and he descaled and it fixed the problem and he used filtered water too. All good now post descaling. Food for thought

descaling frequency depends on your location (ie how hard/soft the water is), if you use a quality filter etc.

Ive only done lucy once, and will probably leave it 6 months or so to run another one.

I rang qcms and got the $150 quote, its only for a basic clean and check over +parts. In my opinion thats a bit steep for a machine that is so simple, and they dont offer anything over what i can do at home.

I will order some de scaling solution and give that a go, any reccomendations?

Hi Jay G,

Im no expert but if they are offering just a basic clean and check over i would suggest try doing it yourself. It cant be that hard. Just check what other silvia owners are using for descaling??

Anyway, give it a go and if everything is working fine i see no reason to take it to a shop and paying over $150.

As the saying goes "if it aint broke, dont try to fix it". 8-)

TC

I would also advise doing it yourself.

To descale, you need only buy a good commercial produsct and follow the instructions. Replace the group seal as well and give the dispersion screen a good clean. If there are any leaks, Alan Frew wrote an excellent guide to repair which is easily found with a search on "Silvia repair".

Site sponsors Di Bartoli and Coffee Parts stock a wide range of spares if you need any bits and pieces. CosmoreX also import the Silvia and will have spares.

Temperature is controlled by thermostats- nothing to adjust. Older Silvias can benefit with OPV adjustment, but a p/f pressure gauge and teflon washer is required for the job. Later Silvias have an adjustable OPV and if you can scrounge a p/f gauge, it can also be done yourself.

Good luck ;)

Chris