Thread: Variation Among EM6910s - Newer batches consistently refined??

Variation Among EM6910s - Newer batches consistently refined??

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have an inkling suspiscion that there are differences between newer and older batches of the same machine.

For example, i get a very clean puck with a showerscreen imprint and good espresso when i tamp about 5mm below the edge (lowest line on a pullman tamper). I dont even need to dose-level-tamp-REPEAT at all, a single dose level tamp is enough.

But people who have attended the barista course seem to think the repeat dose level tamp is necessary, and 3mm clearance is ideal post tamp.

I think my showerscreen is lower than the ones they are using, because I cant even fit the PF into the group head with 3mm clearance.

Also, the post below taken from the 6910 thread seems to support the idea that SB is consistently refining their product.

Quote Originally Posted by 755E475443310 link=1176164034/96#96 date=1181563501
    Hey guys,

Recently I posted that my 6910 blew something out and was leaking water from the back (not the reservoir). It leaked when pouring (quite a lot of water too) and came from the sealed section at the back.

Anyway, I thought Id post how it developed.

It was picked up by courier on Friday (The call was made Thursday).
    My wife received a phone call the following Tuesday saying that it would take too long to get the part(s) and that the whole machine would be replaced. My guess is the water got through the electronics and the risk was it would die again.

The follwoing Monday our new machine arrived.

Heres interesting bit Number 1 - I actually believe the first machine was faulty from the start as this one is much quieter and doesnt vibrate as much as the first (I orginally complained that my cups would move whilst the pour was being made).
    I cant say the shots are better, but its nice having a quieter machine.

Interesting bit number 2 - Of course, having the whole machine replaced, I now have a spare milk jug, drip tray, set of baskets, portafilter etc
    The interesting part is the milk jug - it is smaller than the one I got with the first 6910.
    I havent been following the threads closely, so this may already be known, but the new smaller jug is more conducive to frothing for a single cup. I use the original bigger jug for 2 cups.

I also discovered that the thread on my original PF was damaged. May have happened when I changed spouts, but it meant it didnt tighten properly. I know that.... now!!!!

Overall the experience was acceptable (if having a damaged machine can be??), although the first person my wife spoke to on the phone had no idea and told her that the reservoir was not set properly and that was the problem before fobbing her off. The 2nd call was much better.

Re: Variation Among EM6910s - Newer batches consistently refined??

Its known already by us "older" CSers.

When the 6900 was at the end of its life some later models were released with features that became standard on the 6910s.

They were still sold as 6900s and the features were not documented.
    It was only when a few users went looking for them, after the release of the 6910s, that they found them.

Some repaired 6900s also were upgraded before being returned.

Lately weve seen improvements to the group handle and group head design.

Ive just purchased another 6910 today and there are a few differences.
    The drip tray looks slightly different and the red dot has been changed to a red slit. The SS tray with the holes in it sits differently as well.
    The whole machine sounds different like they are using a different pump. They no longer give you a single spout, just the double spout.
    The baskets are different as well...

Ill post some pics for you guys. soon

Still makes a great coffee though..... ;)

cheers

some quick pics

some quick pics

some quick pics

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

that double basket is interesting.......wonder if the extraction differs in a naked...... :-? would be an interesting comparision.....

Are the holes visually bigger? if not, i would suggest the baskets are more friendly to stale coffee......

The holes look the same size just fewer holes....I did find with the older baskets that the single shot would pour in 30 secs or so and the double shot would only take 20 - 25 secs.....I just assumed it was the amount of coffee i was cramming in there was different if you know what i mean..
    So i think now with the fewer holes the time should be about the same with the same grind....
    I still havent used the new ones yet, im using my old ones..

wanted to keep the new ones brand new but i think my curiosity will beat me ;D ;D

ill let you know

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 484C6A737376697E711F0 link=1269900144/6#6 date=1270294178
    Are the holes visually bigger? if not, i would suggest the baskets are more friendly to stale coffee......
    Tis my understanding as well, and in addition will force some to re visit their methods.

But at least they have finally looked at the tags on the group..

1: Chinese pump.. Not a true ulka

2: Slight mod to the steam valve...

3: Tamp instructions now strictly at 3mm

4: Possible further mods to teh steam pump in the pipeline.

Have engaged another Australian Barista to assist with design changes :o :o :o

Should have contacted a few users / service people ;)

WSully... When ya pop over... I will show you some of teh proposed and current mods that are being looked at as to the EM6910 etc by sunbeam....

Oh and you can have a look at the EM69AMB... Should be about 80% built by then.

Oh... And that old French 2kg Gas roaster...

PS. Big price drop on DCMs soon as well.... Maybe I need a Super mini ;)

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by 456A63617649656A65636169616A70040 link=1269900144/8#8 date=1270296213
    Oh and you can have a look at the EM69AMB...Should be about 80% built by then.
    So you are TIGing the 3 69xxs together to make the ultimate large family espresso 3 grouper?

Quote Originally Posted by 456A63617649656A65636169616A70040 link=1269900144/8#8 date=1270296213
    Oh... And that old French 2kg Gas roaster...
    Pretty keen to have a look at this one...... 8-)

PS.Big price drop on DCMs soon as well....Maybe I need a Super mini
    You have a death wish mark ;D