Thread: VBM Piccolo + Rocky. Will this grinder do the machine justice + your overall thoughts?

VBM Piccolo + Rocky. Will this grinder do the machine justice + your overall thoughts?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    The story so far...
    I have an old Faema, the same as the one in this thread just cream coloured. However it needs some repair work and Id rather spend the money on a new machine at this stage - http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1130542649

My initial budget was $1500 for a machine and grinder, however I dont want to regret my purchase, so Im considering adding an extra $1000.

Ive read reviews of the Silvia + Rocky combo and initially had my heart set on that, however Im now looking at the Piccolo. Will the Rocky grinder do the machine justice or am I best off looking at something else.

Id love to hear from those who have moved from a Silvia upward to something in the same league as the Piccolo. Did the extra $1000 or so on the price tag translate to better coffee?

Am I stupid for considering spending $2000-2500 on what is essentially a first coffee machine and grinder?

Re: VBM Piccolo + Rocky. Will this grinder do the machine justice + your overall thoughts?

The Piccolo is a good little machine. For a little extra though, the Diadema Perfetta is better - more solidly built, fully stainless, etc. and will leave you enough for an excellent grinder.

And no, youre not stupid to spend that much.

Speak with Chris at Talk Coffee. I promise you hes not scary!

Caffeine Junky

Re: VBM Piccolo + Rocky. Will this grinder do the machine justice + your overall thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by 54065F5851360 link=1269948043/0#0 date=1269948043
    Am I stupid for considering spending $2000-2500 on what is essentially a first coffee machine and grinder?
    Definitely not. Many start with the Silvia/Rocky and end up upgrading both before long which ends up costing more.

In fact if you spend closer to the $3K you can get yourself a HX and grinder. Depends on your requirements though. If you are only making 1-2 coffees at a time or drink mostly black, then the Perfetta/Piccolo will be great. However if you and all your family will be wanting mug-sized lattes each morning, you will want to go HX.

Quote Originally Posted by 396B32353C5B0 link=1269948043/0#0 date=1269948043
    I did and not many would dare call me stupid.

I was considering Silvia/Rocky but ended up with an HX/Macap.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 6955485359584F5A52593D0 link=1269948043/3#3 date=1269956419
    Quote Originally Posted by 396B32353C5B0 link=1269948043/0#0 date=1269948043
    Am I stupid for considering spending $2000-2500 on what is essentially a first coffee machine and grinder? *
    I did and not many would dare call me stupid.

I was considering Silvia/Rocky but ended up with an HX/Macap.
    STUP.... No I wont..

Its a hard call.. as to go Cheep / mid or high end....

Too cheep and ya may well get burnt...

Too expensive and lots of bling etc and if ya dont like coffee... Err some resale but you may think ya have been done.

Rather than " ya get what ya pay for... "

I think it is more about "You get out, what you put in "; thus if your committed ( most of us should be). Then a mid range unit will allow you to refine your needs / allow you to understand more about coffee, what the triggers are for you and allow a better choice of gear at upgrade time...

That being said... Ya grinder is still the hardware item that will make the big changes in "whats in the cup". Go the best ya can and then you only have to upgrade the coffee machine...

PS. TG ya ever seen these http://www.tribaldummies.com/Page/tribal-dummies-wooden-dummy-kung-fu-wooden-dummy-wing-chun-dummy-attack-dummy

Quote Originally Posted by 5F637E656F6E796C646F0B0 link=1269948043/3#3 date=1269956419
    b0ing wrote on Yesterday at 10:20pm:

Hardly stupid. If you are actually into coffee then your stupid to get a rancillio if you can afford to buy better. That being said, alot of people cant afford a higher end machine and the rancillio is great for those guys. If you are thinking you will want to buy a rancillio then upgrade, DONT. You are wasting your money. Buy well the first time. It will last you a letteral decade if maintained properly..

Thank-you all for your replies. At this stage I think Ill hold off and save a bit more so I can get a better grinder. Ill also have a look at the Diadema Perfetta as suggested by Dennis!

Ended up getting a VBM Domobar Jr and Mazzer Mini. Best decision ever.
    Thanks! :D