Thread: help with my new EM6910!!! first time user of coffee machines in general!

help with my new EM6910!!! first time user of coffee machines in general!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

so my sunbeam arrived last week, after having much debated and researched what i wanted....and being a newb to espresso machines in general, i have a few questions that may seem a little silly to the veterans out there -sorry in anticipation !

1. my group handle doesnt lock dead in the centre as the instruction booklet seems to suggest. Does that mean I have put too much coffee into the basket /overdosed?

2. I am manually pulling shots and stopping when the colour goes light caramel , as per sunbeam DVD - this doesnt seem to be 20-25mL however! it seems less!!

3. if I accidentally use a double basket for only 1 cup of coffee, does that mean I should dilute it with hot water or something, as technically that means my one cup will be doubly concentrated?? (i tend to forget to switch baskets when making coffee for my husband and I, and then making one single one for myself later!).

those of you who are rolling eyes....mine are rolling too at the silliness of my questions, but hey, what is a forum for if you cant ask and express your questions and opinions, right?

thanks,
    LM

Re: help with my new EM6910!!! first time user of coffee machines in general!

1. Wouldnt worry, it will wear and slowly get looser, check for the five cent test.
    2. Depends on the bean grind,freshness,roast level etc when it is about right you should be able to get the 20-25ml
    3. I would stick with the double basket and just run a single thru, no complaints from my wife who definitely lets me know if I run a double thru.

Also I wouldnt get to hung up on pulling a shot to the second or ml. Does it taste alright? are you happy to make coffee for other people? then its about right!

cheers

p.s. I find coffees that i am not that happy with most guests (non csers) will rate them better than the petrol station ones they have been drinking.

Quote Originally Posted by 777A6F6F7E766E7676621B0 link=1270179989/0#0 date=1270179989
    Hi all,

so my sunbeam arrived last week, after having much debated and researched what i wanted....and being a newb to espresso machines in general, i have a few questions that may seem a little silly to the veterans out there -sorry in anticipation !

1. my group handle doesnt lock dead in the centre as the instruction booklet seems to suggest. Does that mean I have put too much coffee into the basket /overdosed?

2. I am manually pulling shots and stopping when the colour goes light caramel , as per sunbeam DVD - this doesnt seem to be 20-25mL however! it seems less!!

3. if I accidentally use a double basket for only 1 cup of coffee, does that mean I should dilute it with hot water or something, as technically that means my one cup will be doubly concentrated?? (i tend to forget to switch baskets when making coffee for my husband and I, and then making one single one for myself later!).

those of you who are rolling eyes....mine are rolling too at the silliness of my questions, but hey, what is a forum for if you cant ask and express your questions and opinions, right?

thanks,
    LM
    Nothing to be ashamed of. Those are questions I was asking not too long ago myself.

1) No. You will know you have overdosed when you tighten it as usual, but water seeps out through the sides. In such a scenario, tightening further would damage the seal. Every machine varies a bit. My 6910 locks at the 5oclock position.

2) It should definitely be 20s+ because that includes the 6910s pre-infusion time (you know, the machine goes grr---grr---grrrrrrrrrrr at the start). So 20s+ is really 17s+ for a traditional machine. *I am almost certain its due to bad technique. Follow this article by the letter and your problems should go away: http://www.home-barista.com/naked-extraction.html Its a bit long, but very educational. When you can get nice gooey espresso dripping down that doesnt taste too bitter/sour, youll know you hit gold.

ARE YOUR BEANS LESS THAN TWO WEEKS POST ROAST?. If you are using supermarket beans, nothing will improve your shot. Stale beans over a month post roast simply dont generate the resistance needed to make espresso.

3) How big are your cups? A traditional cup is only like 180ml. A standard mug holds 300+ml of liquid. I would say a double shot is suitable for a typical morning mug sized coffee. I serve my friends coffee in 160ml cups, so my double shots are split into two cups.

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Be very very careful of updosing on a 6910, as gumboot said......5 cent test, do a search and youll find it, dont wait for the collar to wear into place, itll be on its way out by then......

Quote Originally Posted by 2825303021293129293D440 link=1270179989/0#0 date=1270179989
    this doesnt seem to be 20-25mL however! it seems less!!
    Get yourself a shot glass and measure otherwise youre only guessing.
    Once you get used to it you wont worry any more.

Hi latemummy,

what kind of beans are you using? Are they bought from a reputable local roaster?

Quote Originally Posted by 39362D21393C392E580 link=1270179989/5#5 date=1270247898
    Hi latemummy,

what kind of beans are you using? Are they bought from a reputablelocal roaster?

Im using the ones supplied by one of the sponsors coffeecraft, its an australian basalt blue single bean variety. Dont know when it was roasted as coffeecraft didnt supply a roast date!!! arrived in the mail about 2 weeks ago, and as you can only buy in 500mg bags, I am still going thru it.....so unless i want to waste coffee and throw it out as soon as it hits the 2 week mark, i may have to just use coffee over 2weeks old!!! any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by 272A3F3F2E263E2626324B0 link=1270179989/6#6 date=1270342308
    any suggestions?
    If you get large lots like that again, re-bag them immediately into two 250g bags.
    That way one will stay unopened whole you use the other.
    I find this will extend the shelf life of the unopened bag a little.

Ive tasted ny staple bean (PNG Kimel) from day 1 right through to day 42.

I dont of course like them at 6 weeks old but they were being drunk by a colleague of mine and he was OK with them.

They were definitely not up to CS standard but he was used to drinking bad coffee and although they werent as good as when he opened the bag he had drunk a lot worse over the years.

You too will probably get fussier over time but for now keep drinking them until you reach the point you dont like.

Its all a learning experience.

Quote Originally Posted by 5C514444555D455D5D49300 link=1270179989/6#6 date=1270342308
    Im using the ones supplied by one of the sponsors coffeecraft, its an australian basalt blue single bean variety. Dont know when it was roasted as coffeecraft didnt supply a roast date!!! arrived in the mail about 2 weeks ago, and as you can only buy in 500mg bags, I am still going thru it.....so unless i want to waste coffee and throw it out as soon as it hits the 2 week mark, i may have to just use coffee over 2weeks old!!! any suggestions?
    Well as long as they are within a month from the day they were roasted is usually considered ok. If you cant find a roast date simple ask them but if you are buying them online thats hard i guess.

I dont know if that sponsor is good or not but fellow CS people might be able to comment on that.

Another sign that the bean are getting old is that they start to get oily so see if you can spot anything like that i guess.

Have fun. :)

Quote Originally Posted by 7C7368647C797C6B1D0 link=1270179989/9#9 date=1270346066
    Another sign that the bean are getting old is that they start to get oily so see if you can spot anything like that i guess.

Have fun. :)
    Possibly unrelated.

I just screwed up a batch of beans by slightly over-roasting. Oil started coming out heavily just 6 days post-roast *:o ...and they became impossible to dose properly. Dissappointing as I was getting really good shots @3-4 days post roast.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1270344414