Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: New Sunbeam 6910 and I[ch8217]m thrilled

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    45

    New Sunbeam 6910 and I[ch8217]m thrilled

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight

    I[ch8217]ve just unwrapped my new Sunbeam 6910 and I can[ch8217]t be happier.

    I have spent months and months tossing up between the Silvia and the Sunbeam.

    The final decision actually came down to stealing (shhh) all of wifey[ch8217]s credit card reward points. This, amazingly, got me pretty close to a free (sic) purchase!

    Anyway, back to the machine. It took five shots to get the grind just right for what I[ch8217]d call a high quality shot. I started grinding too fine.

    I love watching the pressure gauge hitting the sweet spot. It[ch8217]s a great sound: the machine is working for you, but not screaming its guts out[ch8230]

    Few questions and apologies if these have been already covered elsewhere.

    I[ch8217]m getting 25 seconds for 30ml. Should I be aiming for 30 seconds for 30ml? Is that the goal we strive for? I know, the cup is all that matters, but I was just wondering whether it would be worth experimenting for the extra five seconds.

    The coffee cake is coming out with a very slight (hardly noticeable) showerscreen indent on the top of the cake. Is this okay? Or am I overdosing? I have been dosing to 3ml below the top.

    Thank you in advance. Its been a wild couple of days. And yes, four coffee shots before work is TOO many...zip...zip...zip... :D

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    1,756

    Re: New Sunbeam 6910 and I知 thrilled

    Quote Originally Posted by 282D2B2A222D372C440 link=1271328771/0#0 date=1271328771
    but I was just wondering whether it would be worth experimenting for the extra five seconds.
    definitely worth experimenting lionfish!, try under-dosing with a finer grind, normal dosing with lighter tamp and a finer grind, heavier tamp with a courser grind, higher and lower brew temps different distribution techniques the sky is the limit ;D

    As to the 25 in 30.....really is personal preference, i prefer a doppio ristretto which is for me around 20-25 ml in 15-20 seconds from a double basket in one cup, can help remove any caffeine bitterness without loosing that buttery mouthfeel ;)

    Welcome to Coffeesnobs mate ;)

  3. #3
    Senior Member GregWormald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,286

    Re: New Sunbeam 6910 and I知 thrilled

    Im going to go with what WSully said--and add that your dose level sounds like a fine choice for maximum. I wouldnt recommend updosing any more as it can strain the machine mechanically just to lock in the group handle.

    Greg

  4. #4
    Sleep is overrated Thundergod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    10,496

    Re: New Sunbeam 6910 and I知 thrilled

    Quote Originally Posted by 6C696F6E66697368000 link=1271328771/0#0 date=1271328771
    And yes, four coffee shots before work is TOO many...zip...zip...zip...
    You dont have to drink them all when dialling in the grinder. ::)

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    255

    Re: New Sunbeam 6910 and I知 thrilled

    Quote Originally Posted by 464345444C4359422A0 link=1271328771/0#0 date=1271328771
    The coffee cake is coming out with a very slight (hardly noticeable) showerscreen indent on the top of the cake. Is this okay? Or am I overdosing?I have been dosing to 3ml below the top.
    When I measure the puck depth below the basket rim with a micrometer after pulling a shot and checking for a light indentation of the shower screen I find that it is about 6-7mm.

    This is roughly confirmed if you pull the group seal and shower screen,
    fit together outside the machine and measure the depth of the shower screen below the group seal.

    If you dose higher than this you will wear your collar out much faster due to the extra pressure created as greg has stated.

    After saying all this though, your machine may be different to mine.

    I find a good way to check underdosing is to press my finger into the puck after removing the group and feeling for a reasonably firm surface. It gets soggier the more underdosed it is.

    Search this site for "5c piece test".

  6. #6
    Senior Member Dennis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,512

    Re: New Sunbeam 6910 and I知 thrilled

    Quote Originally Posted by 5D464F595A572E0 link=1271328771/4#4 date=1271367121
    When I measure the puck depth below the basket rim with a micrometer
    Wow! :o There are CoffeeSnobs, and then there are CoffeeSnobs! :D


  7. #7
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    16,762

    Re: New Sunbeam 6910 and I知 thrilled

    Quote Originally Posted by 78595252554F3C0 link=1271328771/5#5 date=1271368655
    Quote Originally Posted by 5D464F595A572E0 link=1271328771/4#4 date=1271367121
    When I measure the puck depth below the basket rim with a micrometer *
    Wow! *:o *There are CoffeeSnobs, and then there are CoffeeSnobs! *:D
    Actually, I can empathise.... ::)

    When I first kicked off for espresso coffee snobdom, I started measuring my ground coffee using a micrometer to try and determine a particle size spectrum at various grind settings. Its amazing what we CSers get up to alright.... ;)

    Mal.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    370

    Re: New Sunbeam 6910 and I知 thrilled

    Quote Originally Posted by 575254555D5248533B0 link=1271328771/0#0 date=1271328771
    I[ch8217]ve just unwrapped my new Sunbeam 6910 and I can[ch8217]t be happier.

    I have spent months and months tossing up between the Silvia and the Sunbeam.

    The final decision actually came down to stealing (shhh) all of wifey[ch8217]s credit card reward points. This, amazingly, got me pretty close to a free (sic) purchase!

    Anyway, back to the machine. * It took five shots to get the grind just right for what I[ch8217]d call a high quality shot. I started grinding too fine.

    I love watching the pressure gauge hitting the sweet spot. It[ch8217]s a great sound: the machine is working for you, but not screaming its guts out[ch8230]

    Few questions and apologies if these have been already covered elsewhere.

    I[ch8217]m getting 25 seconds for 30ml. Should I be aiming for 30 seconds for 30ml? Is that the goal we strive for? I know, the cup is all that matters, but I was just wondering whether it would be worth experimenting for the extra five seconds.

    The coffee cake is coming out with a very slight (hardly noticeable) showerscreen indent on the top of the cake. Is this okay? Or am I overdosing? *I have been dosing to 3ml below the top.

    Thank you in advance. Its been a wild couple of days. And yes, four coffee shots before work is TOO many...zip...zip...zip... :D
    See below. Im assuming that your showerscreen is the same as mine. I am using the 6910 too.

    You should have:

    1) An imprint of the showerscreen
    2) A nice solid puck.




  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    45

    Re: New Sunbeam 6910 and I[ch8217]m thrilled

    Thank you all for your kind responses.

    Thanks WSully. I actually had to look up what a doppio ristretto was! Sounded so lovely I raced over to try one. I get what you mean. Sweeter than an espresso shot! Have pushed down the grind and dosed slightly less and the results are much better. I[ch8217]m getting a much more of a tiger striped pour and a less steady stream.

    Thanks ezralimm. Those pictures really helped! Thank you for taking the time to post. I[ch8217]m getting similar marks on my puck. I[ch8217]ve had a few more pronounced than that, so maybe an overdose in those instances. But most of them look like your mark. Every puck has been lovely and solid like yours [ch8211] except for one that was very mushy. I[ch8217]m assuming that was an uneven tamp[ch8230]or a lazy one[ch8230]




Similar Threads

  1. Help with my new Sunbeam 6910
    By dippy1 in forum Brewing Equipment - Midrange ($500-$1500)
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 5th July 2007, 10:07 AM
  2. [m]: Help with my new Sunbeam 6910
    By Javaphile in forum Brewing Equipment - Midrange ($500-$1500)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 24th June 2007, 03:53 PM
  3. SUNBEAM 6910
    By ellie_belly26 in forum Brewing Equipment - Midrange ($500-$1500)
    Replies: 140
    Last Post: 10th April 2007, 09:27 AM
  4. Sunbeam 6910
    By scoota_gal in forum Brewing Equipment - Midrange ($500-$1500)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28th December 2006, 10:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •