Thread: Silvia Thermal Protection Question

Silvia Thermal Protection Question

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi, I recently got a Silvia about 2 weeks ago and have been loving it. However today just as I was about to steam some more milk after refilling the boiler no stream was produced and the machines thermostat was not turning off (orange light was staying on). Im pretty sure that I did not run the boiler dry.

I would like to know if the element went or the safety thermostat triggered. Im assuming that the element went because I was able to measure 240V across the element terminals and I assume that if the safety thermostat triggered it would cut power to the element.

I would like if someone could confirm my theory so that I can work out if I somehow did run the boiler dry and blew the element or my machine came with a doggy one in the first place.

More info:

Element reads as an open circuit on multimeter and pump still operates fine. I dont steam milk for more that 5 minutes.

Re: Silvia Thermal Protection Question

Initially I thought you might need to reset the thermostat, and still get it checked out by the vendor to find the cause. But then I read...

Quote Originally Posted by 18170A3B2F365A0 link=1271406336/0#0 date=1271406336
    I dont steam milk for more that 5 minutes
    Thats bad. I really cant imagine why youd be steaming milk for so long and if this is correct Id be surprised if the element has survived. :(

I mean that I have never left the steam valve open for more than 5 min. normally I stream milk in around 30 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by 414E5362766F030 link=1271406336/2#2 date=1271407489
    I mean that I have never left the steam valve open for more than 5 min. normally I stream milk in around 30 seconds.
    OK, I dont mean to be rude, but am even more confused. What is happening in the four and a half minutes that youre not steaming milk and the valve is open?

Opening the steam valve allows steam or water to come through the arm.

If you bought it new then you risk voiding the warranty by tinkering around inside it - unless this has been agreed to by the vendor.

If the element has burnt out, then Im sorry to say that it wont be covered under warranty, unless the vendor has stipulated otherwise.

Sorry that I have not been clear. I mean that most of the time the steam is left on for around 30 to 40 seconds when I stream the milk. One time I wanted to see if the steam got more dry over time and at that time only I think I left it on for a total of 3 min. The under 5 min steaming milk statement I made in my original post was relating to this one time only and not evertime I use the machine.

Thanks for ur time.

I found answer to my question: http://www.jlhuffordmania.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=24&forum_id=6

Looks like the element has died as power is still getting to the element meaning the safety thermostat has not triggers (still conductive) as I originaly thought.

What a pity, I cant offer much other than sympathy. I suppose the dealer would need to open it up to make a warranty assesment. I recall a case here a while back where a Silvia with a faulty element was repaired under warranty. Element article Here is worth a look.