Thread: Oscar - Shot preparation and Milk texturing

Oscar - Shot preparation and Milk texturing

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I require a bit of help with my new machine – re Shot preparation and
    Milk texturing.

SHOT PREPARATION

I probably know most of the obvious and it is just practice but it will
    won’t go astray to emphasise some of things that I *could be doing wrong.

The Oscar is an entry level Hx machine and previuosly I had a Gaggia and therefore the pressure it operates at is much greater .
    I also now have a Compak K3Touch Grinder and I believe the grind is ok.

Two things can *happen the pour is much too fast – probably under dosed ?? – grind seems ok. Or when I fill a bit more the water squirts out the side of *cup holder and the puck shows evidence of channelling. Uneven Tamping ??? *There is certainly much more pressure from this machine and Gaggia seemed more forgiving.

If when tamping one can see an *uneven and not level tamp – should I discard this attempt or can it be corrected at this stage ?

MILK TEXTURING

With the amount of steam available the machine is a bit of racehorse and I haven’t quite found the technique or maybe the hand is not steady enough to texture milk – as it goes between big bubbles and squealing sounds – it all happens so fast compared with Gaggia – any clues or is it just practice ?

Thanks for your help

I am not sure if this is the right area to post this query

Wine_of_the_Bean

Re: Oscar - Shot preparation and Milk texturing

I reckon your grind is still a bit too coarse. *Dose the same as the first attempt, but keep grinding finer until you choke the machine. *Then go coarser until you find the right pour. You must keep your dose consistent.

Water pouring out the side is more than likely overdosing. *Too much coffee in the PF and not creating a proper seal.

Milk texturing on a HX machine is a much faster process than what youre used to. *10 seconds from start to finish is common for a single cup. *That just means you need to refine your technique.

Quote Originally Posted by 3D3F242E283E3D3F24232A283F4D0 link=1271641645/0#0 date=1271641645
    pour is much too fast – probably under dosed ??
    Or grind is too course.

Quote Originally Posted by 3D3F242E283E3D3F24232A283F4D0 link=1271641645/0#0 date=1271641645
    MILK TEXTURING – any clues or is it just practice ?
    Practise.

" the puck shows evidence of channelling. Uneven Tamping ???"

"If when tamping one can see an *uneven and not level tamp – should I discard this attempt or can it be corrected at this stage ?"

Could please reply to these points.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 383A212B2D3B383A21262F2D3A480 link=1271641645/3#3 date=1271646073

"If when tamping one can see an *uneven and not level tamp – should I discard this attempt or can it be corrected at this stage ?"

Thanks
    the channeling is maybe because
    1. underdosed and water is busting your puck
    2. uneven tamp, correct this 1st
    3. grind to coarse and letting water just pour through.

i would grind finer and try that 1st

you can "retamp" to some extent but work on getting it right the 1st go, but you can chop up the puck in the Ghandle and retamp. that would be better than putting it in very uneven....

Quote Originally Posted by 2B2932383E282B2932353C3E295B0 link=1271641645/3#3 date=1271646073

Thanks
    More likely uneven distribution.

Its easy enough to start again; just knock out the grinds into a small container, stir them to loosen and then reload the basket.

I also have an Oscar. The pressure should be fairly similar to your old machine so it isnt this. One problem with Oscars that I have heard about is that the standard baskets that come with the machine are rubbish. I found the single was better than the double which is crazy really. The standard baskets are gushers and if you grind fine enough to slow the pour u end up with grinds in your coffee and often just chokes the machine. I bought a synesso double basket from Pullman tampers along with a tamper and the pours I get now are significantly better. Home roasted coffee also helps because I know for a fact that it is fresh. The standard portafilter is a ridged one too and they arent so popular around here!!!!

HTH

Justin

Thanks for that Justin - I didnt think my technique was all that different from when I used the Gaggia (which seemed to be more forgiving ) but I still seem to get more gushers .

I presume the double basket Synesso fits the 58mm Oscar handle with the wire clip insert ?

Did you have any trouble with water squirting *outside the handle when pulling a shot or maybe this is my over dosing problem trying to compensate for the gushers ?

I wiil persevere but I may give the Synesso double basket a shot - by the way what is correct size of double basket i.e.14g or 18g and should it be a ridgeless basket

Thanks

Les

an idea for practice of milk

use water to practice, just to get your timing.

that is
    place wand in jug
    turn on steam
    raise to get your texture and whirlpool for x seconds
    lower wand deeper into jug to raise milk temp and whirlpool.
    turn off stem.
    repeat with cold tap water
    repeat
    repeat
    it builds your confidence in the process

Caffeine Junky

I replaced the standard 4-hope on the steam wand with a 2-hole tip, this certainly helped my texturing, especially for smaller volumes of milk.

Quote Originally Posted by 5F5E5447595C46350 link=1271641645/9#9 date=1271670569
    I replaced the standard 4-hope on the steam wand with a 2-hole tip, this certainly helped my texturing, especially for smaller volumes of milk.
    Thanks for that may consider if problems continue

Quote Originally Posted by 605F595E434475684553464F2A0 link=1271641645/6#6 date=1271663453

*The standard portafilter is a ridged one too and they arent so popular around here!!!!

Justin
    Interesting thought *I tried out my Gaggia double basket (unridged) in Oscar cup handle and seems to fit ok and tamper is much more stable when it goes into basket i.e. it does not wobble at the base like with the Oscar basket and may be part of my trouble - I will give a go tomorrow when I make coffee.

That sounds good. 2 hole steam top isnt necessary either. There is a post on here somewhere about milk texturing thatwill help a lot. One thing also u might want to look at is using water and dish detergent to practice. Plenty of info on that out there.
    For me all I do is put the steam tip just under the surface so that it is stretching the milk but not blowing bubbles. As soon as the milk is stretched as much as u desire drop the steam tip right in paralell and as deep as possible into the milk until it is the right temp.

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

here it is....http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1220959662

And to save milk......http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1257461499

;)

Quote Originally Posted by 7175534A4A4F504748260 link=1271641646/13#13 date=1271689445

;)
    Thanks but I dont need this - I could get great microfoam on the Gaggia but it is just getting used too this Oscar racehorse - it is so fast

pricespringer, take the time to read the threads Wsully provided. *The Oscar is a different machine and will take time to learn.

I havent used either machine but Im guessing there might be more holes in your steam tip on the new Oscar, therefore KKs thread about steaming with a 4 hole steam tip is a great starting point.

The second thread is there to save you money while you practice. *Ive used this techique before and it works great, great microfoam, then just pour it down the sink, unless you like drinking dishwater :) *Practice Practice Practice, than break out the real stuff and give it a go.

Also if you got your Oscar second hand you might want to check the group seal. *If its worn that might not be creating a seal tight enough and causing your leaks.

Take it slow, dont change too much at once. *I found some one on one training on my machine to be the best thing Ive done to date. *Update your profile to with your location, there might be a willing CSer that could pop around to help you out. *The world is a small place.

Re: Oscar - Milk texturing comments

"Place wand just under milk in the middle of jug at 90 deg (no angle) and only give it air in the first second no more and then just keep wand under the surface "

This is a quote from KK re milk texturing - What does place wand at 90 deg *(no angle) mean ? - isnt *90 deg the angle ?

Other snobs talk about after stretching plunge wand deep into jug but this seems to produce screaming effect ??? - maybe dont do this with 4 hole steam wand ? *

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

I think you know what he means.......90 degree angle to the jug

Bigger machines steam milk differently to small machines, you notice that when someone says "plunge the wand deep....." they are refering to a small one hole steam tip machine,.....

I steam 200ml at a time in a 600ml jug. I find that with the oscar if I put the tip in as far as possible it is only 15-20ml below the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by 3133282224323133282F262433410 link=1271641646/14#14 date=1271714013
    WSully wrote on Yesterday at 23:04:

Wink

Thanks but I dont need this - I could get great microfoam on the Gaggia but it is just getting used too this Oscar racehorse - it is so fast
    We all started out like this when we upgraded to bigger machines. It is definately worth looking at these threads. There are videos in them too to help. If all you do is watch the videos then you will already be way ahead than trial and error. We only mentioned these threads because we have been through the same learning curve and understand only too well how we broke through that barrier.

Re Milk texturing - Thanks to everyone - I think I might have finally cracked it - it is alot different from milk texturing with the Gaggia.

Now I continue with the shot extraction - trying to perfect it using the Gaggia double basket and it is bit easier than the supplied Oscar double basket but still needs quite a bit of pressure when tamping. Gaggia much easier and more forgiving.