Thread: Coffee machine for work

Coffee machine for work

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Guys,

My manager has finally caved in to my constant badgering for a coffee machine at work. *So he says "send me and email with at last 3 options and the business case for the one you recomed" yay...

There are roughly 10-15 ppl who would use it 1-3 times a day. *Of which only 4 have experience with an espresso machine. *

My price range is $1k with a grinder optional. *I have been using my presso and kyocera ceramic hand grinder at work for the last 5months, and 2 of the guys have a EM0480 so we could get them to bulk grind for the masses but Id be grinding fresh anywho*;)

My current list is
    • Rancilio Silvia
    • Lelit Combi
    • Sunbeam EM6910

I was thinking of throwing a fuly automatic in the mix just for funnies. *What would you suggest? *My father in law has a krupps but you cant taste the diffference between supermarket beans and freshly roasted good quality beans like Coffee Rebublic, Merlo or Seven Seeds (I live in Melb, my parents live in Bris, father in-law lives in Launceston)

So any suggestions? *Id love the Silvia only cause Id eye off buying it after the novelty factor wears off after 6-12 months *;D But the Lelit is probably the top pick so far cause of the built in grinder.

If anyone in melb would like to offer a lease agreement including bean supply PM me, cause that would be cool too ;)

TC

Re: Coffee machine for work

Quote Originally Posted by 6F43464A43565647507D4841220 link=1271899124/0#0 date=1271899124
    Hi Guys,

My manager has finally caved in to my constant badgering for a coffee machine at work. *So he says "send me and email with at last 3 options and the business case for the one you recomed" yay...

There are roughly 10-15 ppl who would use it 1-3 times a day. *Of which only 4 have experience with an espresso machine. *

My price range is $1k with a grinder optional. *I have been using my presso and kyocera ceramic hand grinder at work for the last 5months, and 2 of the guys have a EM0480 so we could get them to bulk grind for the masses but Id be grinding fresh anywho*;)

My current list is
    • Rancilio Silvia
    • Lelit Combi
    • Sunbeam EM6910

I was thinking of throwing a fuly automatic in the mix just for funnies. *What would you suggest? *My father in law has a krupps but you cant taste the diffference between supermarket beans and freshly roasted good quality beans like Coffee Rebublic, Merlo or Seven Seeds (I live in Melb, my parents live in Bris, father in-law lives in Launceston)

So any suggestions? *Id love the Silvia only cause Id eye off buying it after the novelty factor wears off after 6-12 months *;D But the Lelit is probably the top pick so far cause of the built in grinder.

If anyone in melb would like to offer a lease agreement including bean supply PM me, cause that would be cool too ;)
    Hello Mad,

Hate to say it but you and your boss have unrealistic expectations.

Your brief requires a good semi auto machine and a grinder and you need a budget more like 4 x what you have...

If you do the maths: $1000 / 250 days (50 working weeks) / 30 coffees per day, you boss is prepared to allocate 13c /coffee or say 25c /employee, all on a tax deductible capital purchase...

A Silvia/Lelit/Sumbean will lead to heartbreak and repair...

Options:
    Rent/Try/Buy the correct equipment for your situation
    Rent the full shebang from an Office supply coffee company- eg Crown Coffee...

My advice is to break the news about your boss generosity to him or stick with the local cafe.

2mcm

Your brief requires a good semi auto machine and a grinder and you need a budget more like 4 x what you have...
    A Silvia/Lelit/Sumbean will lead to heartbreak and repair...
    I see your point here... Ill try an raise the budget since it should be capex.

Space is an issue too, so maybe a comercial A1 would be better. *We are apparently moving office in a few years so it might pay to hire untill we are in the new building...

What would suggest if price was no option but value for money was heavily weighted?

Ill talk to managment and keep you posted, thanks for the brutal truth :P

Aside from the very good points raised by 2mcm, I would not be letting that many people fiddle around with a manual machine. Soooo many things could go wrong not to mention they have a rather big learning curve...

Caffeine Junky

If people paid $1 per coffee at 30 cups per day and 250 days per year thats $7500 per year. *That would virtually cover the cost of equipment purchase, milk and coffee.

If they have 3 per day thats $3 compared at least $9 from a cafe.

Unfortunately my experience says that the 4 who already know and like good coffee will be joined by, at most, one or two more. The rest wont care, wont take care, possibly cant tell good coffee from bad, and will drink instant or bad coffee cause its easy.

Sorry. All I can do is hope your experience is better.

For the 4 people at my work who care, I roast, and we use a Kyocera and an Aeropress and pay about 40 cents a cup. The rest use the big fully auto with weak coffee, stale beans and skim milk at a cost of $1.20 a cup.

Greg

My idea:

Get a grinder.

Let people grind on demand.

Get a bean subscription... Freshly roasted beans delivered each week.

Grind on demand.

Everyone brings their own french press.

Fresh Coffee. Correctly brewed. = win.

You wont have espresso, but for minimal cost, good coffee!