Thread: Napoletana II new gasket and old basket

Napoletana II new gasket and old basket

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello all,
    I just replaced the gasket on my Quaha Napoletana II because I bought the machine used over a year ago and I dont really know how old it is. However, since I put the new gasket in the machine spays water out between the rear of the portafilter and the coupling that holds it onto the group head. Does it normally take a while to break in a new gasket? I noticed the old gasket had a small ridge where the portafiter locked in, so Im hoping that sooner or later Ill wear the new gasket in a bit and it will be fine. Ive already taken the portafileter coupling off of the machine twice to make sure Ive placed the gasket around the grouphead properly. Any ideas?

Ive also been trying to find a new double and single basket for the portafilter. I found a site in Canada that sells baskets for the la pavoni napoletana. It looks like a similar machine. Anyone know if they will fit?
    Thanks!!!

Re: Napoletana II new gasket and old basket

Quote Originally Posted by 636E65667D65666C0A0 link=1272287545/0#0 date=1272287545
    Hello all,
    I just replaced the gasket on my Quaha Napoletana II because I bought the machine used over a year ago and I dont really know how old it is.However, since I put the new gasket in the machine spays water out between the rear of the portafilter and the coupling that holds it onto the group head.Does it normally take a while to break in a new gasket?I noticed the old gasket had a small ridge where the portafiter locked in, so Im hoping that sooner or later Ill wear the new gasket in a bit and it will be fine.Ive already taken the portafileter coupling off of the machine twice to make sure Ive placed the gasket around the grouphead properly.Any ideas?
    Hi,
    That doesnt sound right - in my limited experience of changing my gasket on my Nemox? Did you follow Greg Pullmans method on his Things Coffee site?
    Good luck

try lygon importers in melb they import the same machine under a different name aqnd the basket would be the same size

pip

Hi fellow Quaha/Imat/Napoletana watchers ,
    * *some of the replacement group gaskets are slightly thinner , and you may find that with the usual volume of coffee and tamp with a new (thinner) gasket , the group doesnt seal properly because the basket is too full ( perfect for old gasket , too much for new gasket ).If the portafilter handle ( with basket in , but unfilled) seals at a different position *( handle further to right hand side when locked in ) try a smaller dose in the basket , and apply the "5 cent piece test".
    These machines are really prone to basket / seal problems , and I find that a quick rub of the basket sealing face with 600 wet/dry sandpaper and a really flat surface ( and gently does it! ) to round off the outside edge of the basket gives the group seal an easier life.

pip. *

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 393C32313439363C580 link=1272287545/2#2 date=1272316910
    try lygon importers in melb they import the same machine under a different name aqnd the basket would be the same size
    Good luck. Left 3 messages with their spare parts department last week and was promised a return call each time. Still waiting....

ask for *daniela at lygon importers she is very good nothing but help from her

TC

Yes- absolutely hopeless...

We emailed probably 10 times, called half a dozen and visited on three occasions in a fruitless attempt to do business..

Every time they were "gunna"....

I found them absolutely useless. Buggered if I know how they make any money... ::)

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 4F4A4447424F404A2E0 link=1272287545/5#5 date=1272360567
    ask for *daniela at lygon importers she is very good nothing but help from her
    She is the one Im waiting on the call back from.

Conversely all sponsors I have dealt with have always been exceptional, even when there is no sale involved.

i have called her recently and I believe that she wants to service your machine rather than send you spare parts and that was my enquiry

Thanks for the advice with the basket Pip. What is the 5-cent piece test? I havent heard of that before. Its good to know that there isnt something more sinister happening.
    Ive loved this machine. I got a great deal on it off of ebay and its been fantastic. I figured that getting some new bits and pieces for it over time would improve the output. However Im realising the major drawback is finding parts for the sucker. Its making me very envious of those rancillio owners with their 58mm portafilters... >:(
    Regardless, I have e-mailed lygon. Ive read on here before that I shouldnt get my hopes up for a response. Thats why I started looking at overseas suppliers. Ill try calling lygon a few times before I give up on them.
    Thanks everyone!

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 39343F3C273F3C36500 link=1272287545/9#9 date=1272405833
    What is the 5-cent piece test?
    Do an advanced search on CS... Lots of posts as to what and how.