Thread: Measuring Brew Temperature - This cant be right!!! =(

Measuring Brew Temperature - This cant be right!!! =(

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Using a thermocouple with the long bendy K-type wire, I measured the temperature of the water coming out of the grouphead. No matter how close i hold it to the group, even with water pouring directly over it with no showerscreen... The water temperature never seems to go above 75C!

This couldnt possibly be normal could it???

A_M

Re: Measuring Brew Temperature - This cant be right!!! =(

Quote Originally Posted by 2C333B2825202424490 link=1273307833/0#0 date=1273307833
    Using a thermocouple with the long bendy K-type wire, I measured the temperature of the water coming out of the grouphead. No matter how close i hold it to the group, even with water pouring directly over it with no showerscreen... The water temperature never seems to go above 75C!

This couldnt possibly be normal could it???
    All been done and dusted previously... About a dozen times or more on the EM6910.......

Many variables and ya not doing it right..

Just use teh advanced search function

Hmm, i tried searching for 6910 brew temperature and there were only two reasults in the last 3 months.

Will do a more comprehensive search later.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 48575F4C414440402D0 link=1273307833/2#2 date=1273314858
    Hmm, i tried searching for 6910 brew temperature and there were only two reasults in the last 3 months.

Will do a more comprehensive search later.
    Change some of ya key words and at least 12 months 2 years .. Time flys like there is no tomorrow

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

First result from first search i did........you need to more accurately measure your temps first........
    (this post is for a Gaggia Classic but the principle is the same......

Quote Originally Posted by 120B0C410 link=1261795551/5#5 date=1262451673
    Heres how to test the brew and steam thermostats
    You want to test two things:
    1. brewing water temperature and recovery
    2. steaming capability
    The most well known and simplest brewing temperature test is the "styrofoam cup test"

Turn on your machine and wait at least 15 -20 minutes so that it is thoroughly warmed
    up.
    Get a small styrofoam cup of the take-out variety and mark a line measuring the 2 ounce
    level, and another mark measuring the 3 ounce level. In metric terms thats roughly 60 ml
    and 90 ml respectively. Next, you will need to find a good quality dial type frothing
    thermometer and insert it horizontally through the cup. The point of the thermometer
    should not puncture the other side and the thermometer should be inserted low enough in
    the cup that the stem is covered by water. Place the cup along with the thermometer
    underneath your group and turn ON the brew switch and draw at least two ounces of
    water. Turn OFF the brew switch when you have enough water in the cup. Measure the
    maximum temperature achieved.
    Repeat this test seve ral times in a row using the 2 ounce mark. Do the test again using the
    3 ounce mark.
    If you are not attaining at least 192F (89C) in all tests, then your thermostat is running too
    cool. I would be tempted to either return the machine or replace the thermostat.
    The next test measures the steaming capabilities of your new machine.
    Measure out exactly 10 ounces of water in your frothing pitcher. Insert your frothing
    thermometer. Remove any frothing assist devices as you will need to use the bare wand.
    Click on the steam switch and wait for the red "ready light" to come on.
    Start steaming by opening up the black steam knob. You will notice the red light will go
    off after a short time indicating that the boiler heating elements are on and are actively
    heating the water. Keep steaming until the temperature light comes back on. Record the
    temperature. If it is not at least 140F (60C), your steam thermostat is running too cool and
    should be replaced. The steam thermostat is very easy to replace and if you can wield a
    screwdriver, you can replace it yourself in a couple of minutes [keeping the usual
    precautions about working on electrical equipment in mind]. If you are replacing a
    thermostat, always remember to hand tighten only. Never use a wrench to tighten a
    thermostat on this machine

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 494D6B727277687F701E0 link=1273307833/4#4 date=1273329488
    you need to more accurately measure your temps first..
    Ya and that where 99.9% of peopel go wrong..

Test equipment, placement and assumptions as to what values they will /should be getting...

Unless ya machine has been tweaked with a scase etc * Then you realy do not know.

So many vairables and assumptions...

However as a rule of thumb...

1: If ya goffee is great... * Do you need to realy know ?

2: If ya go to run a flush and lots steam comes out; then one would suggest the temp is a bit high *;) *Do you have to tweek it down... Not always, thats why some systems need a cooling flush or two.

3: Coffee / Water in a cup will be significanlt less than the set group temp. Some have assumed it should be close to brew temp... *WTF ( why the face) ... If ya coffee was at 75C to *85C in the cup you would know about it.. * Plus scalded milk...

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1245549602

4: Group and PF need to be stable and been sitting for a while. *Probe actually needs to be up inside the shower screen or as close as possiable.

Remember even with a basket at temp... Ya take it out.... Pack with cooler beans and then re lock in and then pull a shot. *In that time the basket has cooled a bit and even if the water in the head is exactly 92 (not) then the moment that small volume of water hits the cooler puck the temp drops significantly.

In addition most of the temp meters and probes people are using and a total accuracy of about +/= 3 C... * SO even if you measure 87C (sumbeam service test target) you could be 90 or 84.

Suck it up and move on.... *Even with my DCM and having almost instand controll over my brew temp... *I do not bother attempting to measure with out specalised tools..

It is so much easer to go with "Whats in the cup"

Then again... What would I know..

Here is another post worth reading and includes lots of links...

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1241125627

^ This post should be pinned. Cuz I think that most people who test their machines are going to be getting readings lower than what is advertised (92C).

Thanks for the advice Anger :)

Sunbeam should really pay you consultancy fees for tech support on this forum.

Ill be taking out the showerscreen and seeing what the temp of the water actually exiting the machine is.

Water cools at a rate proportional to how hot it is, so if the thermoblock temp of the EM6910 is say 94C, it will cool even in the short period in the showerscreen. Also, without resistance more water than necessary would be entering the pump.

Gra

Quote Originally Posted by 46696062754A66696660626A626973070 link=1273307833/5#5 date=1273355987
    1: If ya goffee is great... Do you need to realy know ?
    I have been trying to pull one of these but cant get a handle on it ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Aite, ive done the tests.

Set to +4C, the coffee turns out very very burnt and bitter.

+second crack the difference is barely noticable, with the hotter shot being ever so slightly more bitter.

The default temp is correct.

In the end, the cup speaks for itself.

Gra, try using the WDT. I now dose by weight, and quite often dont even level my grounds that well... With the WDT the distribution is so even youll get a good shot all the time - even with the single basket.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 041B13000D080C0C610 link=1273307833/8#8 date=1273376364
    Aite, ive done the tests.

Set to +4C, the coffee turns out very very burnt and bitter.

+second crack the difference is barely noticable, with the hotter shot being ever so slightly more bitter.

The default temp is correct.

Gra, try using the WDT. I now dose by weight, and quite often dont even level my grounds that well... With the WDT the distribution is so even youll get a good shot all the time - even with the single basket.
    :D :D :D

I keep saying it... Glad ya got it

Enjoy