Thread: What machine??

What machine??

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

I have a seven year old Silvia which has performed very well. *As we know it can be a little painful trying to serve up more than two cups at a time. *I have only a cup a day, but occasionally do more when I have friends around. *Is it worth upgrading to a larger HX machine for the amount of coffees I do? *Would I possibly get a better quality cup compared to Silvia generally?

Obviously it will be silly to spend a large amount of $$ so will only consider a used machine. Whats the Bezzera like? *Would a new Silvia with PID work? *Around $1200?

Thanks!

Re: What machine??

The coffee making routine is so much simpler with a HX machine

Quote Originally Posted by 3A2E3D32363D395C0 link=1273364868/0#0 date=1273364868
    Obviously it will be silly to spend a large amount of $$ so will only consider a used machine. Whats the Bezzera like?
    Bezzera machines are built to last decades if one performs the basic care it requires

Try sponsor Barazi they have refurbished units with warranty
    http://www.barazi.com.au/Newsflash/specials/

KK

Silvia and a PID will only really improve your shot quality and wont improve the time taken to go to steam and back.

At the price point you are looking at there is only one HX near that the NS Oscar at $1300ish for new apart from that your only other HX option is rteally second hand and that can have problems depending on the former owner.

You could always go against the tide and go a Pavoni Professional ;)

Yes it is such a pity theres a big gap between the Silvia and HX machines in terms of pricing......

Bezzera last decades.....maybe thats why theres virtually no price difference between a 4yo and 12yo machine???

Ive seen a used Isomac Tea, but thats another $500 more! :(

Quote Originally Posted by 6A7E6D62666D690C0 link=1273364868/3#3 date=1273368763
    Bezzera last decades.....maybe thats why theres virtually no price difference between a 4yo and 12yo machine???
    You can learn the art on negotiation ;)
    KK

There are higher quality machines than the Silvia around the $1200 region (VBM, Diadema, ...) that will give superior cups of coffee--but they all have the same single boiler system that makes more coffee at a serving difficult. Heat exchange machines take care of the quantity of coffee easily, although you may still notice differences in the cup as the quality (and usually price) of the Hx machines increase.

You will have to determine for yourself where the $$Silly starts. :)

Greg