Thread: Rancilio Silvia crema/spatter issues

Rancilio Silvia crema/spatter issues

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

Have just purchased a Rancilio Silvia and from the start, I have had problems with:

1. Spatter from basket/filter - Coffee goes everywhere

2. No crema - Have tried various grinds/brands to no avail. Previously we owned a sunbeam Cafe series and this problem never occurred.

Have had friends over who have used the machine(making sure its not just me!) and they have ahd the same problem!

Any ideas?

Am considering returning the machine as we believe it isnt a user error.

Thanks,

Nig

Re: Rancilio Silvia crema/spatter issues

Hi Nig

Welcome to CS. You will get answers to problems from many Silva owners here.
    I had one before getting a VBM so am a bit rusty with regard to Miss Silvia.
    People will want to know the roast date of your beans and also the type of grinder you are using?
    This is a serious machine and doesnt rely on a pressurised basket like some Sunbeams (but the sunbeam owners will tell you in more detail).
    Bottom line is the Silvia is capable of exceptional coffee using fresh roasted coffee and ground on a good quality grinder.
    I had it paired with a Macap M4 (grinder cost as much at the Silvia at the time)

It took me several weeks to pull some remarkable shots, and most of the help I got was right here on CS.

Good luck and stick with it.

Chris

Hi Nig & welcome to CS
    Are you using the double basket as its easier ??
    Are you overfilling the filter basket ??

You will need to tamp down to a level that clears the water dispersion screen in the brew head

What grinder are you using ??
    Another thought is you may be grinding to fine thus choking the system

KK

Quote Originally Posted by 36313F3134580 link=1273384281/0#0 date=1273384281
    Have just purchased a Rancilio Silvia and from the start, I have had problems with:

1. Spatter from basket/filter - Coffee goes everywhere

2. No crema - Have tried various grinds/brands to no avail. Previously we owned a sunbeam Cafe series and this problem never occurred.
    Welcome "nig".... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Given that its a brand new machine, I would have thought that your vendor would have given you some basic training "on the bench" before taking it home. If this didnt occur, perhaps you should contact them and arrange a free training session.... Thats what our Site Sponsors will do for you and often, without your needing to ask them.... 8-)

Mal.

Welcome Nig - Ms Silvia is tricksy and demands high quality inputs (beans, grind, barista...) to produce high quality outputs.

1. Some details on exactly when/where will help but...
    *a) if when you unlock the group handle after a shot then the three way valve may be dead or clogged (was it new when purchased?)
    *b) if when you stop a shot then the boiler may not be full enough - flush water through the steam wand.
    *c) if all through a shot then the group head gasket may be iffy
    *d) many other possibilities that Id hate to hazard a guess at without more hints

2. No crema is almost always beans or dosing technique - if your previous Sunbeam only had pressurised baskets (which create fake crema no matter what beans, grind or dosing) then youre on a new level of difficulty and fresh beans (as in weeks post roasting) will make all the difference. *Dosing has some basics and many twists but been covered many times before - try using the Search (remember to change the default period from week).

Other important topics to help start off right are temperature surfing, ensuring the boiler is full and cleaning/back-flushing.

A bit more practice with those inputs and Ms Silvia will reward with fab coffee for a decade or two (or until the pressure of bigger, shinier toys becomes too much).

hi nig
    well help im sure but we need more info.

what grinder are you using at home?

what beans do you grind?

do you have a tamper?

what is your experience with espresso machines?

Aaron :)

Very important question: When were your beans roasted?

Possibilities:

1) Simple case of overdosing.

2) Beans over-roasted (till they are super oily) and they are clogging the basket.

3) Problem with the group seal? Coffee is just leaking out the sides.

4) STALE BEANS. No crema you say? So you grind finer and it clogs the machine and coffee spatters everywhere but still no crema?