Thread: Grinder in Lelit Combi

Grinder in Lelit Combi

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all - first post, after much lurking, and eventual purchase of a Lelit Combi, (based upon what Ive read in here).

I think itll suit us well - were not scared to learn, and perfect the art. But then, we dont need the ultimate. (Coming from a 14 yr old near base-model Krups),

So, to my question. How fine should the grinder be able to grind down to?

I have the adjustment wound all the way down to where it stops, and its still nowhere near a purchased pre-ground pack (and dont worry... never really want to go back there again). The instructions suggest to start at 3 and then adjust to suit - but 3 was really course.

Its hard to tell, as I havent sourced, let alone got, my 57mm tamper yet, so Im using a drinking glass that (almost) fits perfectly.

Err... help? :(

Re: Grinder in Lelit Combi

Hi baudman,

No experience with the Combi but I would think it should be able to grind in a range from "so fine that it chokes the machine" to "so course that the water gushes out"

At the finest setting, does water still gush out when you try to make a shot?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 7774607178747B150 link=1274159981/0#0 date=1274159981
    Hi all - first post, after much lurking, and eventual purchase of a Lelit Combi, (based upon what Ive read in here).

I think itll suit us well - were not scared to learn, and perfect the art. *But then, we dont need the ultimate. *(Coming from a 14 yr old near base-model Krups),

So, to my question. *How fine should the grinder be able to grind down to?

I have the adjustment wound all the way down to where it stops, and its still nowhere near a purchased pre-ground pack (and dont worry... never really want to go back there again). *The instructions suggest to start at 3 and then adjust to suit - but 3 was really course.

Its hard to tell, as I havent sourced, let alone got, my 57mm tamper yet, so Im using a drinking glass that (almost) fits perfectly.

Err... help? :(
    Hi Baudman,

Your grinder should grind fine enough to produce an espresso shot!

If it doesnt, best to drop the machine back for a checkover...

Chris

Add to this that my impressions are that supermarket coffee needs to be ground finer than freshly roasted coffee to account for the fact that it is staler. Although someone more experienced may correct me here...

Cheers,
    Sean.

Thx crew!

Yeah - I thought as much. I mean, it should be able to grind a lot finer than I should ever need (and a lot courser, for that matter).

If I tamp the bujeezus out of it (with my glass... he he) I can almost get some crema. Sorta. But generally, its more at the water gushes out level as SeanSheep describes it.

On its finest setting, theres some powder, and some very fine crunchy chunks.

New to fresh grinding, and real tamping for that matter, so I wasnt sure. Will take it up with the supplier.

Thx again.

Caffeine Junky

On a side note, I recently bought a 58mm tamper which fit my 57mm Mokita basket perfectly. Might be worth going to a sponor with your basket to see if you too might get lucky.

Of course there is no substitute for a custom fitted Pullman!

Is this a new machine?

TC

Yeppers- baudman purchased from us...

Well look over it ;)

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 5754405158545B350 link=1274159981/4#4 date=1274161652
    Thx crew!

Yeah - I thought as much. *I mean, it should be able to grind a lot finer than I should ever need (and a lot courser, for that matter).

If I tamp the bujeezus out of it (with my glass... he he) I can almost get some crema. *Sorta. *But generally, its more at the water gushes out level as SeanSheep describes it.

New to fresh grinding, and real tamping for that matter, so I wasnt sure. *Will take it up with the supplier.

Thx again.
    [edit]Are your beans less than three weeks post roast?[/edit]

Stale Beans = No Expansion When Infused = No Resistance.

Supermarket beans wont work with your new setup.

Quote Originally Posted by 3D222A3934313535580 link=1274159981/8#8 date=1274167561

Stale Beans = No Expansion When Infused = *No Resistance.

The current ones are. Theyre about six weeks old. (A gift from a friend, which they regifted as they have no grinder).

But the previous ones came with it, and Id imagine were a lot fresher.

Looking forward to getting fresh ones (I work in CBD, so all manner of good sources) but meh - I can keep practicing with these ones in the meantime eh? ;D

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 757662737A7679170 link=1274159981/9#9 date=1274167909
    Definitely were!

Try the grinder with some fresh stuff. At 6 weeks, theyre cactus!

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 5655415059555A340 link=1274159981/4#4 date=1274161652

New to fresh grinding, and real tamping for that matter, so I wasnt sure. *Will take it up with the supplier.
    Read the previous posts and search for fresh beans or " Rule of 3"

As Chris said.. @ 6 weeks... * ::) :-X Well pass the best by date...

Best to donate to GJ they would be impressed *;D

TC

Based on that baudman, I am 99.99% certain that its the coffee. I am yet to see a Lelit which wasnt perfect, so Id be really surprised.

Most (all?) CS sponsors label with roast date. Chuck the 6 week old stuff out and use fresh beans. Also suggest you check the dose as well. Copy Scotty- www.espressocompany.com.au/how-to.htm and you should be close...

Chris

Damn... So Im gonna have to get some fresh ones? :D

In all seriousness - I shall do, to check. But it seemed to be the same with the ones that Chris supplied.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 757662737A7679170 link=1274159981/13#13 date=1274169918
    Damn... *So Im gonna have to get some fresh ones? *:D

In all seriousness - I shall do, to check. *But it seemed to be the same with the ones that Chris supplied. *
    Well solve it one way or another bm..

I assume youre not getting a soft, sloppy puck- i.e youre not underdosing? :-?

Nah. Puck nice and firm. Dry. Will almost snap.

Quote Originally Posted by 797A6E7F767A751B0 link=1274159981/9#9 date=1274167909
    Quote Originally Posted by 3D222A3934313535580 link=1274159981/8#8 date=1274167561

Stale Beans = No Expansion When Infused = *No Resistance.

The current ones are. *Theyre about six weeks old. *(A gift from a friend, which they regifted as they have no grinder).

Looking forward to getting fresh ones (I work in CBD, so all manner of good sources) but meh - I can keep practicing with these ones in the meantime eh? *;D
    Re-gift those beans and get fresh coffee. No excuses.

Fresh coffee coming today. (SWMBO getting some special ones - the least she can do on my birthday)

See how we go, eh?

Fresh beans (roasted 16/05) certainly tasted nicer. And yeah... they feel different between the fingers when ground, and when tamping.

But... Im still on the finest setting I can go, and not quite getting anything syrupy.

So... Im headed back to Chris to see if its user error or not. ;)

Hi Baudman,

Any progress with this?

Reason I ask is Ive also just received a Lelit Combi and Im 90% sure it has grinder issues.

My problem is after letting the brew pour for approx 20 secs, the resultant shots are 90-100ml instead of the target 30ml. They have an abundance of creme but taste sour..

Thought the solution to this would be to grind finer, but the gearing mesh is at its limit point (up against the silver washers). I suspected the endpoints to the gearing were off so Ive tried several different spots throughout the range...including the other endpoint, but cant seem to get the grind finer.

Also followed the dosing guide on http://www.espressocompany.com.au/information.htm which gives me a hard/cakey puck too..

so either the grinder is faulty/needs adjustment... or I really am doing something wrong but Im at a loss as to what it could be..

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 3530373D2A686B6A6D590 link=1274159981/19#19 date=1274367400
    Any progress with this?
    Unlikely in a 90 minute time frame at night Id reckon ;)

Assuming that youre using fresh coffee linds, there may be an issue with grinder stop point in these 2 machines. We have never seen an issue, but this doesnt mean its not possible.

Let me check baudmans machine on Saturday and Ill report back. If there is an issue, it should be an easy fix.

Chris

10:30am --> 12:56am is ~90mins? Not sure what laws of time you go by but thats closer to 14.5hrs by my calcs ;)

No problems.

TC

Updating on this one,

I have called both CSers.

The issue was a "very conservatively" installed burr travel retaining screw. A simple removal and reinstallation was all that was required- a 2 minute job....We apolgise for the oversight.

Well be checking all further stock as a part of the bench test on this one...

Chris

Yep.. removing one of the screws has allowed me to dial it down so it grinds finer. All sorted.

Cheers Chris

Ditto. All good. *Thx again Chris.

And heres a picture boys and girls.

Carefully remove the hopper. Then just unscrew, move and rescrew in the hole that will give you sufficient travel.

Chris said to be careful how much you allow it to wind in, so you dont get the burrs touching. I did it two holes and I still think it may be able to go a little further. I did it last night, so Ill try again in the light of day now and see.

Hi Chris

Do you think my Mums had this thing in it too? Shes just gone o/seas for two weeks (lucky her!) but when she gets back, if you think it has the travel retaining screw, Ill get her to give you a buzz or, if you send me some instructions, I can step her through it over the phone.

Cheers
    Di

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 43647260780B0 link=1274159981/25#25 date=1274511845
    Hi Chris

Do you think my Mums had this thing in it too? *Shes just gone o/seas for two weeks (lucky her!) but when she gets back, if you think it has the travel retaining screw, Ill get her to give you a buzz or, if you send me some instructions, I can step her through it over the phone.

Cheers
    Di
    Hi Di,

Its installed in all Lelit machines. The issue with these two was that one of the screws was placed to limit travel to not much more than press coarseness. From what I can ascertain, it seems to be most current build machines with silver ID sticker on the carton. Your mums machine was a slightly earlier build and should be ok. Either way, we now have a solution ;)

Chris

Im LOVING my coffee machine!

Thx so much to TalkCoffee, and to the greater CS membership who put me onto it in the first place. 8-)

TC

Glad that all is well baudman....

Enjoy!

Chris

Hey guys -
    I was referred to this thread to see if I can find an answer to my own built in lelit grinder issue.
    I seem to have this issue but in the opposite effect - ie. Grinding too fine and I cant get any water coming through the puck. Is it just a matter of moving the screws or something?

And how do I remove the hopper?

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 4C554B455741524D171111200 link=1274159981/29#29 date=1279449951
    Is it just a matter of moving the screws or something?

And how do I remove the hopper?
    For any coffee snobber out there thinking of taking a screw driver to their new coffee machine, remember that unless you have been specifically instructed by your retailer to do so, your warranty will almost certainly be null and void as soon as screw driver meets screw.

If you have a new machine and you think it may be misbehaving, give your retailer a call before you do anythng else.

In this case, the problem experienced by lukewarm711 is not related to the stop screws.

charlie