Thread: Is it possible?

Is it possible?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Ive just joined, so please forgive me if this is an old subject.
    Is it possible to make an espresso with good crema on a Gaggia Classic, and, is it possible to actually thicken up the milk to that creamy texture, and not just a lot of bubbles?
    Ive worked on this for ages, and the best I can get is foam, not thick, creamy milk, as per a cafe.
    Any tips, or a lead to an old thread would be appreciated.

A_M

Re: Is it possible?

No... With a Name like ARTY... NO..

Only kidding :D

Plenty of posts on these unit and also on managing ya milk.

Have a search and use teh advances function and make sure you select at least a year or more... Or the search defaults to about 1week I think, at best.

then do some reading here:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?board=GotMilk

Thanks. And with a name like yours, Im glad to get away unharmed :)

Caffeine Junky

If you are using fresh roasted (less than 2-3 weeks) good quality beans? Are you grinding yourself with a good quality burr grinder?

If the answer to either of these questions is no then you may not be able to get a decent crema.

Assuming your machine is working fine then you should be able to get good quality microfoam. Is the milk swirling around when youre texturing? How far into the milk are you placing the tip?

The machine is in pretty good condition. I do look after it and do a regular clean. I buy beans in small quantities and grind them in a Sunbeam burr grinder to a pretty fine texture. I matched the grind that the coffee place did. As for the milk, Ive been led to believe that I should have the tip just below the surface for the first 10-20 seconds, and then on an angle near the side.
    When I pour, the milk is just as thin as before but with a bit of a head on it.

Thank you to the people who responded. Ive searched the site and found lots of tips. Now Im thinking of investing in the Lelit Combi. It seems to be the machine that will make me happiest.

Sounds like a good move, Arty.

Ive found the steam volume on my Classic pretty frustrating at times. Its really not up to the task if youre trying to make several coffees in a row, I reckon.

Good luck with the new setup!