Thread: Time to replace espresso gaggia... but with what?

Time to replace espresso gaggia... but with what?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone,
    I am mostly new to CS and have been madly reading these forums over the last couple of days.

I have had an espresso gaggia for the last 15 years and it has served me well, with only the occasional service and more recently some repairs done by hubby who has gotten to know the insides of the machine quite well ;)

Anyway, it has finally died to the point of no return and after 15 years I think perhaps a new machine is in order.

Budget is limited and I am looking at the Gaggia Classic, the Saeco Via Venezia or possibly the Sunbeam EM6910. I dont think I can stretch to the Silvia and in all honesty I think it may be above my needs anyway.

I have a LUX grinder.

After all my reading I am finding it almost impossible to make a decision. All machines seem to be both well recommended and also disliked.

I make only 1 or 2 coffees a day (with milk, usually only one at a time, never more than 2), and as you can probably gather from my long term relationship with my Gaggia, I am not really a coffee fanatic, but I know what I like and am happy to build a relationship with my machine to get that. I have no idea how the espresso gaggia would rate but with years of practice I have been very happy with the coffee I can make with it (I drink only with milk).

Probably the most important thing at this point is a machine that will last I do not want to be buying again in 5 years - opinions on this point seem to vary with all the above machines.

Can anyone please help me with this decision?

Also, I live in a small town and do not have access to stores to view a range of machines. I believe there is a store I can get to that stocks the SB and also one that may have a couple of gaggias, so I am flying a bit blind.

Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.
    Thanks

Caffeine Junky

Re: Time to replace espresso gaggia... but with what?

Quote Originally Posted by 7C747D63110 link=1274935323/0#0 date=1274935323
    Probably the most important thing at this point is a machine that will last I do not want to be buying again in 5 years - opinions on this point seem to vary with all the above machines.
    In that case you should definitely avoid the Sunbeam.

What you need is something well made with a simple design that can be repaired by any competent espresso machine tech. The Sunbeam doesnt fit into this category.

You could also consider the Nemox Fenice which is a similar machine to the Silvia but closer in price to the Gaggia Classic & Via Venezia.

Welcome to CSs :)

If you are looking for another 15 year machine AVOID the modern applience types. Specifically Sunbeam, Saeco and Breville for a start. The Gaggias seem to be a little more robust but I think some of them have Aluminium Boilers? So if your water is a bit dodgey then that may be a problem. The Silvia is a Battleship by comparison and will still be doing the job for you for years.

If you want somthing with some style and a bit of a learning curve then this would make a great toy, no waiting for steam or shots but a learning curve for you :) http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1274793735

Either that if you are expecting a long term relationship with your machine then a drive to the big smoke might be called for to look at shiny things ;)

levercrema

Quote Originally Posted by 34333738303A2F3F3831560 link=1274935323/2#2 date=1274936931
    Welcome to CSs :)

If you are looking for another 15 year machine AVOID the modern applience types. Specifically Sunbeam, Saeco and Breville for a start. The Gaggias seem to be a little more robust but I think some of them have Aluminium Boilers? So if your water is a bit dodgey then that may be a problem. The Silvia is a Battleship by comparison and will still be doing the job for you for years.

If you want somthing with some style and a bit of a learning curve then this would make a great toy, no waiting for steam or shots but a learning curve for you :) *http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1274793735

Either that if you are expecting a long term relationship with your machine then a drive to the big smoke might be called for to look at shiny things ;)
    I had a laugh - the more lever converts the better I say... And yes, stay away from the Sunbeam. CJs suggestion re the Nemox is a good one me thinks.

If you live in a relatively isolated area, getting fresh beans for a Pavoni might be an issue. Or any machine for that matter. *

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 767E77691B0 link=1274935323/0#0 date=1274935323
    I am not really a coffee fanatic
    This line here tells me that a manual lever is not the best option for QW.

Thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by 75727679717B6E7E7970170 link=1274935323/2#2 date=1274936931
    If you are looking for another 15 year machine AVOID the modern applience types. Specifically Sunbeam, Saeco and Breville for a start.
    Thankyou, this is exactly the sort of advice I am hoping for.

I am very happy to look at the nemox fenice and will go and look into that right now.

Quote Originally Posted by 75727679717B6E7E7970170 link=1274935323/2#2 date=1274936931
    a drive to the big smoke might be called for to look at shiny things
    I am kind of resigned to having to do this (not that the trip is a problem, but having to go without coffee for 6 weeks or more until I can arrange it most definitely is! :(

if this is the case, then can you point me towards what other machines I might be looking at in the under $700 range? *I would want to have a fair idea what I was looking for before making the trip.

Thanks again.

levercrema

Quote Originally Posted by 767E77691B0 link=1274935323/0#0 date=1274935323
    I am not really a coffee fanatic
    Not yet - but wont be long now. You could do a lot worse than another Gaggia but Im sure the Nemox will be on a short list if you watch this space. A sponsor will see you right.

Good luck