Thread: ok, new question - gaggia vs nemox?

ok, new question - gaggia vs nemox?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    thanks to the replies from my last question, I am happy to scratch the saeco and the SB off the list. *However I have now added the nemox fenice.

So, questions:

The pictures I have found of the nemox are a little difficult to view. *Does it have actual switches that go click or is it those flat kind of push button things?

In comparison to the espresso gaggia (which I have) does it work essentially the same way?

Is the Nemox somehow the same as the LeLit PL041?

Does anyone know where the nemox is available to buy? *

Is there anyway of searching the site sponsors without opening each website individually?

Given the choice of the gaggia classic and the nemox fenice, what points should I be considering? *

Is the nemox worth the extra money? *

Sorry for the question overload. * :)

Caffeine Junky

Re: ok, new question - gaggia vs nemox?

Does it have actual switches that go click or is it those flat kind of push button things?
    Yep they are switches that click.

In comparison to the espresso gaggia (which I have) does it work essentially the same way?
    Both are dual purpose single boiler machines. I believe the Gaggia has a 120ml aluminium boiler and the Nemox a 300ml Copper boiler.

Is the Nemox somehow the same as the LeLit PL041?
    Yes same machine with different exteriors. Lelit is the company that manufactures these machines which are also sold as the Quaha, Mokita & La Pavoni variants.

Does anyone know where the nemox is available to buy?
    (no free plug here) (see left of page)

Is there anyway of searching the site sponsors without opening each website individually?
    I donít think so but you can email them all at once by sending to SiteSponsors@coffeesnobs.com.au

Given the choice of the gaggia classic and the nemox fenice, what points should I be considering?
    Boiler size (bigger boiler equals more steam power & temp stability)
    Copper boiler versus aluminium. If water quality is poor aluminium can degrade quickly.
    Gaggia has a commercial size 58mm group. Nemox is a 57mm.
    Should check with spare parts availability from the supplier.

Is the nemox worth the extra money?
    Yes. Although I have never used the Gaggia Classic but am getting a second hand one delivered next week. I also own a Mokita Junior which is the same machine as the Nemox Fenice so Iíll be able to compare the two.

I dont know much about the gaggia or its pros and cons. I remember hearing that the boiler in the gaggias is part aluminum and part brass/copper. This presents a problem as it encourages corrosion. I recall people pointing out that the life of the machine is dependent on that. Pretty sure the boiler is serviceable and parts can be replaced easy and cheap enough but it shouldnt be a problem with the Nemox. The nemox would rate almost as highly as the silvia on here and perhaps the biggest thing holding the nemox back is the lack of a commercial size portafilter. Commercial being 58 and nemox being 57.

I know I started out looking at the nemox and was trying to decide if I should stretch to the silvia. I was conviced that the nemox was a great machine and I wouldnt regret buying one. Somehow along the way my budget doubled and I bought a setup up at twice the cost I originally planned. Beware or upgraditis and be warned that it will happen and probably sooner rather than later

Quote Originally Posted by 506F696E737445587563767F1A0 link=1274946165/2#2 date=1275032016
    The nemox would rate almost as highly as the silvia on here and perhaps the biggest thing holding the nemox back is the lack of a commercial size portafilter. *Commercial being 58 and nemox being 57.
    Welcome "quangle wangle".... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I owned and used one of these machines for several years and at no time did I find that the 57mm basket size was a limiting factor. The Nemox/Mokita/Quaha/Lelit basket design is very, very good (including the Single) and I doubt very much that you would ever find the need or express a desire to opt for a different basket type.

The only thing I did change out on my machine after owning it for about 12 months, was the Group-Handle Spout. The original Spout uses a kind of Split Nut design that started to work its way loose all the time on my GH. This was easily and very cheaply overcome by fitting a standard commercial Spout from the guys at Coffee Parts.

These are great little machines that punch well above their weight in terms of build quality, performance and espresso quality in the cup, where it counts. I have absolutely no qualms about recommending one to a CSer looking to buy one... 8-)

Mal..

There is some excellent (and fairly unbiased) information on the Coffeeco website written by Alan Frew do a search on google for "silvia gaggia lelit" it should be the top result.

Brass or copper boilers are best for longevity so on that front the Gaggia slips down a peg or two over the Lelit/Nemox

Thanks Mal I should have pointed out that the 57mm "limiting factor" was only a psychological one. At the time I thought that it would be nice to be able to share some of the stuff from commercial machines.

In some ways smaller portafilters are simpler. I remember one persons opinion on a portafilter around the 50mm mark. They said that it made the shot easier and more reliable because there was less chance of channeling in a deeper basket(not sure if the 57mm baskets are deeper however)

I do like the fact that my pullman 58mm tamper will fit any machine I should buy in the future though 8-)

The Coffeeco review will sell it to you as soon as you read it.

P.S. I have yet to see a coffeesnobs member that dislikes the nemox.

Thanks everyone for the information.
    I am now looking at the Lelit PL041 as I am led to believe it is the same machine as the Nemox.

I have been told via a number of emails that noone in Australia stocks the Nemox? There are several websites that list it though, and I havent confirmed this with them as yet.

I am also worried that the nemox has the steamer on the left hand side, which Im guessing would take a bit of getting used to. Also, having it on the right suits my kitchen arrangement as I use the machine next to the sink, giving more depth for access with the jug and also making for easier cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by 56696F687572435E736570791C0 link=1274946165/5#5 date=1275036373
    The Coffeeco review will sell it to you as soon as you read it.
    Yep, that did pretty much clinch it.

I was a bit concerned because many people seem to make a big deal that the basket is smaller than standard, but I gather from replies that this isnt a problem in itself, just the fact that is different from most commercial machines? Is there anything else to be concerned about with this?

If you saw my earlier post, i have been using an espresso gaggia for the last 15 years and am only replacing it because it has finally died, so Im pretty confident that upgraditis isnt going to happen to me. I just want a reliable machine that will make me one great coffee a day and will last a long, long time. Im hoping that if I can get 15 years out of a gaggia with all its boiler issues, a machine like this will last me pretty well? To be honest, longevity is probably my biggest priority, so is this machine my best bet?

Given that they seem to be a well regarded machine, is there a reason that noone much stocks them? I am worried that parts and/or service may be a problem down the track.

Oh, and one more thing... I have a Nemox Lux grinder. Is it going to be suitable for this machine?

And FINALLY..., if the Nemox and the Lelit really are the same machine, and if both are available to buy, (it seems the Lelit is only available from one supplier who I think I cannot mention in here?!?) is there any reason to choose one over the other?

Thank you to anyone who read this post all the way through. I look forward to your opinions.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 747C756B190 link=1274946165/6#6 date=1275050664
    And FINALLY..., if the Nemox and the Lelit really are the same machine, and if both are available to buy, (it seems the Lelit is only available from one supplier who I think I cannot mention in here?!?)is there any reason to choose one over the other?
    Yes they are but each brand has a little cosmetic difference

I noticed that stockist of the Lelit Cuppacoffee posted the availability of 3 machines only until the next shipment
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1203772677/8#8

KK

Thanks KK. I believe that availability applies to the Lelit 042 which has the built in grinder. I have had some very helpful emails from Dennis at Cuppacoffee and would love to be able to purchase from him, but he does not stock the 041.

If anyone knows of anyone else who stocks the 041, I would love to hear from them.
    Thanks

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

sitesponsors@coffeesnobs.com.au will send an email to every single sponsor, they will help ya out ;)

No one on here could guarantee that the nemox will last for 15 years like your old gaggia but there is no doubt in my mind that it is a better quality machine. It is more likely that it will last longer than the gaggia.

You will find that the nemox isnt a popular machine because it is sitting right in the middle. Almost a market that doesnt need to be filled. It is cheap and is a better machine than your gaggias delonghis etc that fill your department stores. If the nemox found its way onto the department stores shelves it would probably sell like hot cakes. The thing is that the average customer that goes to the dedicated coffee stores probably has a little more money and the starting machine is likely to be the silvia.

The lux grinder will be perfect for it.

Parts shouldnt be a problem. They are certainly common enough and they are such a simple machine that there isnt much that will go wrong with them.