Thread: Q? for those with steam wands on the left side eg. Nemox

Q? for those with steam wands on the left side eg. Nemox

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Firstly, I hope I am not breaking any protocol by my multiple posts. *I am trying to be sure they all cover different ground.

I am pretty close to deciding on buying a Nemox Fenice /Lelit PL041, thanks to great information from CS and sponsors.

The only thing left to do is to decide which "brand" to go with, as while the machine may be the same, the outer appearance is quite different.

My gut feeling is to choose the Nemox, but I am holding back due to the steam wand being on the left, which is not what I am used to. I like being able to direct the wand into the kitchen sink (rather than a cup to catch drips, run off etc) and it also makes for easy access for the jug - no need to tilt to get it under the wand.

But bigger than this is the thought that I will need to hold the jug in my left hand and work the knob with my right. *(will suit my left handed son down to the ground when he is old enough to drink (or make me *;)) coffee in the future though *:) )

Close examination of the photos though, and pretend practice on my existing machine make me wonder if it is not so hard though. *Maybe I could still hold the jug with my right hand and work the knob kind of above and across it?

So my question is to those that own or have used a machine like this, is it easy to do and do you do it left handed or just use the cross over hand technique? *

Also, am I mad considering buying a machine without even setting eyes on it, let alone trying it out?

Thanks again.
    :)

A_M

Re: Q? for those with steam wands on the left side eg. Nemox

Left or Right ...

Change and multi skilled is good...

Sink etc is and location is more of the issue.. If it is just you... Suck it up and expand ya experience.

As to not seeing / trying...

If a can get access to one or more. Then your a fool of you do not. Even 5 min touching and feeling is worth much and helps manage post purchase dissidance......

As a fellow lefty I used to have a small domestic machine with the wand on the left and it worked great for me. My current Pavoni has the wand on the right and the controls on the left of the machine so I have had to retrain to use the jug in my right hand.

On my commercial machine (wands on left and right) I revert back to jug in the left as it feels more natural. You just get used to operating it left or right anyway.

On the sink thing double check but I think the steam nozzle is on a swivel so just aim it at the drip tray for purging and drips.

Based on the other threads and discussion the Nemox will fill the bill well for you. Normal might be one or maybe 2 threads deciding on new gear but 3 is just special *;D

EDIT: Nemox Caffe Fenice and the Nemox Caffe Dell Opera are showing up on the US distributors site as being discontinued. New model is a bit nicer to look at ;)

Hey come on, this is a big decision for me :o - this choice will determine the quality of my cofffee experience for many years to come. It is only about once a month that I get to the nearest cafe that makes even a 1/2 decent coffee, so if I cant get a good one at home... :( :( I hope you can allow me the luxury of 3 threads to help me decide ;D

Quote Originally Posted by 4B646D6F78476B646B6D6F676F647E0A0 link=1275108340/1#1 date=1275109967
    If a can get access to one or more. Then your a fool of you do not. Even 5 min touching and feeling is worth much and helps manage post purchase dissidance......
    Unless I can find a supplier in Brisbane (3 hour drive), it would take a plane ticket for me to touch and feel, which would add many hundreds of $$ to the cost of the machine - money I would much rather spend on coffee ;)
    But I guess what you are saying is, it is a bit mad??

Thanks guys for your patience with my dithering. :)

A_M

Not sure but sure a CS in SE Qld might have a unit you can touch..

Problem is they do not always log on...

If any on comments on the 6th will keep you advised.

A_M

Update ya profile... Might make things easer..

3 hrs nth / west. Makes a big diff.

Caffeine Junky

QW I am sipping on an Indian Monsoon made on my Mokita Jr (essentially the same machine youre considering).

Obviously its always best to view/play/touch any machine before buying, but considering youre geographically challenged, that may not be possible.

The Nemox/Lelit is the safest and best option for you IMO. I wouldnt let the left hand steam wand stop you, you will quickly adapt.

FWIW quangle_wangle Im a right hander and have no problem using the left side steam arm on a Sunbeam 6910. May be because Ive always had left sided steamers. I think you would adapt very quickly.

I swivel the arm over the drip tray to flush it, as beanfying suggests.

Good luck

Im also a right hander who uses a machine with the wand on the left.
    I dont find there are any issues.

I used to have a Silvia which has the wand on the right. I had similar thoughts about the side switch when I was upgrading. I had a play with the machine I ended up with and found it was not really a big deal.
    The extra steam power was the bigger thing to adjust to rather than which side the wand is on.

And try to get a hands-on experience before buying if at all possible. You will find it very useful.

Ive only used machines with a left side wand so far.
    My Expobar sits to the left of the sink so the wand is as far as possible from it and being right handed I use my left hand to hold the jug.

I hold the jug by the handle and my right hand feels for the heat and turns the steam on and off.
    I find using my dominant hand for all this more comfortable.

As for drips and runoff, I keep a small bowl under the wand to hold a cloth to wipe the wand.
    The wand doesnt drip but purging the wand keeps the cloth damp for use.

I think youll be fine with it but if you do get a chance to try one on for size, go for it.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 714D504B414057424A41250 link=1275108340/9#9 date=1275121032
    Ive only used machines with a left side wand so far (Sunbeam 6910 & Expobar Leva).
    My Expobar sits to the left of the sink so the wand is as far as possible from it and being right handed I use my left hand to hold the jug.

I hold the jug by the handle and my right hand feels for the heat and turns the steam on and off.
    I find using my dominant hand for all this more comfortable.

As for drips and runoff, I keep a small bowl under the wand to hold a cloth to wipe the wand.
    The wand doesnt drip but purging the wand keeps the cloth damp for use.

I think youll be fine with it but if you do get a chance to try one on for size, go for it.
    I have played with a few more.. And all teh small ones have been L/H side :-? :-? :-?

Have to concur fully with TG as to method of use etc.. Except I hold with my palm and thus gauge the temp at the same time.. R/H for steam knob and talking ;D :D :o

Strange as it is even with a steam arm on the R/H side I still tend to use it the same... Thus the stance - Allows some one else to get in and do the pour etc Even more important on a big machine and more than one working the system.

Im right handed - hold the milk jug with my right hand. Open, and then just then handle towards the end (Im a girlyman).

Ive swapped machines, and the steam wand is now on the right. In all honesty, I didnt notice any difference in how I do things - however it has required a repositioning of where its placed in the kitchen (and its in a better spot now).

My machine has the steam on the left side. Not a problem. The only problem I have is that I cant pull the portafilter out when I am steaming the milk. Not a problem with the nemox as you cant steam and brew at the same time anyway.

levercrema

Quote Originally Posted by 67585E594443726F425441482D0 link=1275108340/12#12 date=1275277494
    My machine has the steam on the left side. *Not a problem. *The only problem I have is that I cant pull the portafilter out when I am steaming the milk. *Not a problem with the nemox as you cant steam and brew at the same time anyway.
    Why do you want to take the pf out whilst steaming? I tried out of curiosity and ended up with milk and coffee from one end of the kitchen to the other - and all over the parrot.

Im right handed, the Elektra steams on the right and the Aurora on the left. Both machines I hold the jug with my left and get touchy feely with my right. It just evolved like that and feels right.

I must agree that the Left or Right issue with steam wand shouldnt be an issue. My summer (Botticelli Right) and winter (Rancilio S20 Left) machines have them on opposite sides, and I quickly get used to either one. Like Thundergod, I just keep a cloth under the wand - dont even bother about the bowl - to catch the drips, and a damp cloth is much better for wiping afterwards. It also seems safer to damp the steam with a cloth, rather than have it splashing about from a cup or even sink. And its quicker and less joint wear than swiveling the wand into drip tray.

Quote Originally Posted by 4A435043544554434B47260 link=1275108340/13#13 date=1275278391
    Why do you want to take the pf out whilst steaming? I tried out of curiosity and ended up with milk and coffee from one end of the kitchen to the other - and all over the parrot.

Im right handed, the Elektra steams on the right and the Aurora on the left. Both machines I hold the jug with my left and get touchy feely with my right. It just evolved like that and feels right.
    Being an HX two people could use the machine at once if doing multiple coffees. I find with the jug I use and the amount of milk in it once it is stretched enough the jug will sit on the drip tray by itself with the steam wand the perfect distance under the milk. I could have the puck knocked out and ready to fill with coffee.

levercrema

Quote Originally Posted by 704F494E535465785543565F3A0 link=1275108340/15#15 date=1275282125
    Quote Originally Posted by 4A435043544554434B47260 link=1275108340/13#13 date=1275278391

Im right handed, the Elektra steams on the right and the Aurora on the left. Both machines I hold the jug with my left and get touchy feely with my right. It just evolved like that and feels right. *
    Being an HX two people could use the machine at once if doing multiple coffees. *I find with the jug I use and the amount of milk in it once it is stretched enough the jug will sit on the drip tray by itself with the steam wand the perfect distance under the milk. *I could have the puck knocked out and ready to fill with coffee.
    Ah! This makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by 7F766576617061767E72130 link=1275108340/13#13 date=1275278391
    Why do you want to take the pf out whilst steaming?
    In my case it would give me more space when steaming.

TC

I always find these conversations somewhat perplexing... *

Steam wand on left: do what you would normally do on the left side of the machine, Steam wand on right: do what you do on the right side of the machine... :-?

There should be no need to swap hands, stand on one foot, poke tongue out of the other side of your mouth or anything else! *::)

Quote Originally Posted by 64515C5B6F735F56565555300 link=1275108340/18#18 date=1275293000
    I always find these conversations somewhat perplexing *:-/

Steam wand on left: do what you would normally do on the left side of the machine, Steam wand on right: do what you do on the right side of the machine...

There should be no need to swap hands, stand on one foot, poke tongue out of the other side of your mouth or anything else! *::) *
    Have to agree with you on this, after owning a machine with steam on the right for almost 10 years (used daily) 6 months ago I upgraded to a machine with steam on left, took me all of 5 mins to get used to the change.
    Where Im having a little trouble is with grind adjustment of the Mazzer, rotates the opposite way to Rocky and what was automatic on Rocky requires a moments thought or Ill go the wrong way. :)

Quote Originally Posted by 6F535A4257360 link=1275108340/19#19 date=1275295084
    Quote Originally Posted by 64515C5B6F735F56565555300 link=1275108340/18#18 date=1275293000

Steam wand on left: do what you would normally do on the left side of the machine, Steam wand on right: do what you do on the right side of the machine...

There should be no need to swap hands, stand on one foot, poke tongue out of the other side of your mouth or anything else! *::) *
    Have to agree with you on this, after owning a machine with steam on the right for almost 10 years (used daily) 6 months ago I upgraded to a machine with steam on left, took me all of 5 mins to get used to the change.
    Where Im having a little trouble is with grind adjustment of the Mazzer, rotates the opposite way to Rocky and what was automatic on Rocky requires a moments thought or Ill go the wrong way. :) *
    :)I was the same when I switched from Rocky to Maz/Min, took a while to settle in but all is good now ::)

Quote Originally Posted by 253027272C2F232C420 link=1275108340/20#20 date=1275301030
    Quote Originally Posted by 6F535A4257360 link=1275108340/19#19 date=1275295084

Where Im having a little trouble is with grind adjustment of the Mazzer, rotates the opposite way to Rocky and what was automatic on Rocky requires a moments thought or Ill go the wrong way. :) *
    :)I was the same when I switched from Rocky to Maz/Min, took a while to settle in but all is good now ::)
    9 years of patterning has a significant affect at my age, but Im tryin. ::)

Alrighty then, thanks everyone. :) Clearly the position of the steam makes no difference. In that case I am definitely leaning to the Nemox - finding someone to sell it to me is going to be the problem. :( Doesnt seem like anyone is selling them.

Cheers