Thread: Rancilio Lucy/Silvia boiler keeps blowing

Rancilio Lucy/Silvia boiler keeps blowing

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi there,
    Just wanted to get a feeling from people more experienced than me on what my next steps should be on my beloved Rancilio Lucy - circa 1993.

I bought her second hand on ebay since start of the year. One day no heat. Got the multimeter out and low and behold - boiler is open circuit. I believe this means that the boiler is gone..
    Now I have used a Gaggia Classic for years the same as Lucy with no issue and given the machine was 7 years old, a new boiler was not out of the question. I always prime the machine after milk frothing.
    So off to coffeeparts.com and order new boiler. After a great deal of pain installing the new model Silvia boiler into Lucy, I was happy again.. Now not 3 months later, it would appear that the boiler is open circuit again.. my worst nightmare..

So, the question is..
    Do I cut my losses and sell Lucy off and just buy a new Silvia/Rocky or is it worth giving her another chance. I dont want to spend another $200 on parts plus its a crap job only to get another 3 months. What else could be causing the boiler to blow.. Is it possible that some other part is faulty in the machine, or did I get a bad boiler?

any assistance or guidance would be appreciated,
    Anthony

A_M

Re: Rancilio Lucy/Silvia boiler keeps blowing

Quote Originally Posted by 555E5051585B4755340 link=1275545714/0#0 date=1275545714
    So, the question is..
    Do I cut my losses and sell Lucy off and just buy a new Silvia/Rocky or is it worth giving her another chance. I dont want to spend another $200 on parts plus its a crap job only to get another 3 months. What else could be causing the boiler to blow.. Is it possible that some other part is faulty in the machine, or did I get a bad boiler?

any assistance or guidance would be appreciated,
    Anthony
    Cut ya losses.. NOW...

I recon it makes teh EM6910 look like a great deal after all.

With out lots of review and hands on.. Hard to say what caused what.. But the first call I would make if I was coffeeparts is that it was something at YOUR end.

Prime after is also important...

Some great specials being offered by sponsors etc... Suggest you have a look and drop in and see a couple..

Do not toss good $$$ after bad.

Anthony,

Chris at Talk Coffee mentioned in another thread that he knows a fella that can put a new element into a duff boiler. Did you keep the old on as a paper weight? Not sure what the costs? Contact him direct <---- over there.

Ive read about a few replacement boilers going, twice and sometimes a third time. Maybe the replacements arent as good as the original or maybe it can be put down to user error, like having a silvia in an office and someone forgets to fill the boiler. An expensive mistake.

Why dont you get someone to quote you to repair it and check it over, then base your decision to replace it on that. The machine is probably worth around $650-750 in a working condition. If your honest when you sell it who knows how much youll get for it.

when we replace a silvia boiler, we also replace the coffee/ steam cutouts and the overtemp cutout / microtemp
    because this is what they are designed to do, protect from failure

i find most people who have problems are trying to use to large a milk jug, or trying to froth /heat too large a quantity of milk

the sunbeam doesnt come close to the quality of manufacture of the rancilio.

Thanks for everyones input. I have pulled my old trusty Gaggia Carezza out of the cupboard, and have been using that. Every day I wish I had Lucy working again.. It really has taken the joy away..

The silvia/lucy is a champion for milk frothing and I miss that..

So given the above, Ive decided to do another boiler replacement, and also replace the 3 thermostats... I just cant work out what else would be causing this issue. There really is not that much that can go wrong inside them. The only other part is the 3 way valve, and I have read that if it leaks that it can get the boiler dry and pop.. I have not noticed any issues with this, but probably would not hurt to service.

Thanks again... anthony :-/

Hey Anthony,

Why dont you get a CS sponsor to give the machine a look over for you? It would only cost you about $150ish (my guess) and that way youll have expert eyes on it and youll be able to make a more educated decision from there.

Quote Originally Posted by 2F242A2B22213D2F4E0 link=1275545714/4#4 date=1275987035
    There really is not that much that can go wrong inside them
    I agree, they are pretty simple machines, but it usually the simple ones that can be hard to diagnose.

Quote Originally Posted by 2F242A2B22213D2F4E0 link=1275545714/4#4 date=1275987035
    I have read that if it leaks that it can get the boiler dry and pop..
    If it is leaking you would have some water in the drip tray before the machine has been used (whilst heating up)?

Andrew. :)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 0D0F1B525257620 link=1275545714/6#6 date=1276119640
    if it is leaking you would have some water in the drip tray before the machine has been used (whilst heating up)?
    Not always.. Assumptions are great are they not......

Thus always PRIME... Ya forget to prime before and or afterwards then user error.

Hi all,
    Did the boiler replacement today, replaced all the thermostats and have given the 3 way a clean out, including backflush. So far so good. I do notice that the 3 way does leak after a shot is done, but I assume thats what its supposed to do.. take the pressure once you turn the pump off rather than the dripping through the head like my Gaggia Carezza that doesnt have the 3 way. Lucy doesnt seem to be leaking before or during a shot.

I really dont enjoy replacing the boiler... especially since its the 2nd time Ive done it in such a short time. Ill now be making sure to prime and turn the machine off when I am not using it for extended periods (I tend to leave the machine on all day) . If it happens again, poor old Lucy will be going to another home.. :(

Anthony..

Guys, I have a Silvia and it has given me no grief with boiler elements.
    Had it for 3 years never missed a beat and then earlier this year the boiler element went. Wouldnt heat.

Got the whole boiler unit replaced at a cost of $285 from a service centre in Sydney.
    2 months later same thing has happened!
    I cant say if it was me or my lovely friends staying for a few weeks that left the unit on steam but nonetheless its toast.

But heres the good news!
    Just spoke with Pedro at Coffee Parts (http://www.coffeeparts.com.au) and he has given me another way to solve the problem.
    Faema make a very similar heating element that with a bit of work (drilling out old Rancilio element) will take the Faema element.

Heres the best part, once the job is done once, if I ever blow an element in the future the replacement price is $75+GST.
    Thats 4 times less the cost of the entire boiler replacement.

Im going to do this job over the weekend, Ill document with images and post my success or failure on Monday so stay tuned!

I know this will give many Silvia owners some much needed answers / relief.

Hold tight coffee lovers! 8-)

Digital Coffee
    I will be very interested in the results.
    It sounds like good news all the way.
    Preparing the internal face for the element will be interesting
    Please give us the results/challenges.
    My silvia is okay (not listed in the signature info below), the information will be critical for the future.
    dumiya

TC

I have a bloke who can do this in Melbourne as well.

Chris

tek

Very easy mod but be careful when tightening the element nuts as you can easily split the new element.

Hi guys,

I have created a guide to element replacement which can be found here: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1290578500/0#0

Quote Originally Posted by 3538363825303D323E37373434510 link=1275545714/13#13 date=1290426860
    Bare with me, this will take one more post to get you some good photos to guide you step by step.
    Holy crap DC youve got way too much time on your hands. ::)

Haha, that write up was a bit excessive wasnt it, on the contrary however Jon, I have very little spare time but my devotion to this is in direct proportion to how much I miss my morning ristretto.
    Now its fixed, the universe is balanced again.

Sorry again for the extensive ramblings everyone. Hope a few find it useful.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by digitalcoffee View Post
    Hi guys,

I have created a guide to element replacement which can be found here: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1290578500/0
    just a bit of housekeeping,this link is dead,

heres a working one-
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...placement.html