Thread: Group head leak with naked pf

Group head leak with naked pf

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I bought a naked pf for a Silvia a few days ago and Ive been enjoying it except Ive started noticing it leaks around the group head when pulling a shot. I dont notice then when using the Silvias own pf. Anyone know if its more likely the standard pf is masking the problem or the naked pf is a poor fit, is this a common problem?

A_M

Re: Group head leak with naked pf

Quote Originally Posted by 757073666677607E776B120 link=1275607778/0#0 date=1275607778
    I bought a naked pf for a Silvia a few days ago and Ive been enjoying it except Ive started noticing it leaks around the group head when pulling a shot. I dont notice then when using the Silvias own pf. Anyone know if its more likely the standard pf is masking the problem or the naked pf is a poor fit, is this a common problem?
    Make sure you have cleaned the Group head and that ya seal is all OK.

Use teh same basket in both and try each group handle a few times..

Do it one at a time and keep a record of what went here etc.

Swapping baskets and handles should allow you to prove either

1: Dirty group head
    2: Basket
    3: Group handle
    4: Seal
    5: User

is it a real Rancilio one?

I have the same issue with a PF that "fits" but is not the same brand as the machine (not a rancilio machine)........ slight leak when making coffee

i use it for my blind holder........

No, its not a real Rancilio one. Ive been googling this morning and it seems quite a common issue. Ive just had several more goes on it, making sure everything is clean, basket in properly etc, and Ive found that pushing it to the right more just about stops the leaks. In fact Ive done this twice now and I think that was the issue.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 4C494A5F5F4E59474E522B0 link=1275607778/3#3 date=1275613574
    No, its not a real Rancilio one. Ive been googling this morning and it seems quite a common issue. Ive just had several more goes on it, making sure everything is clean, basket in properly etc, and Ive found that pushing it to the right more just about stops the leaks. In fact Ive done this twice now and I think that was the issue.
    Then teh issue is teh depth and position of teh lugs..

As per usual.. 2 + 2 = 5 Coffee is not by numbers and gauges and position of wands and handles etc are only guides. Every thing is dynamic.

But at least ya got it sorted.

The next step is consistency.. Then try with ya eyes closed.. :o

Seriously... Watched a friend of a mate change grind / tamp and then do a shot.. He was slow... BUT good.

I know. For all the advice out there and youtube videos, I would just like to spend an afternoon with someone who really knows what theyre doing. Any coffee exerts live near Surrey Hills?

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 767370656574637D7468110 link=1275607778/5#5 date=1275619409
    I know. For all the advice out there and youtube videos, I would just like to spend an afternoon with someone who really knows what theyre doing. Any coffee exerts live near Surrey Hills? *
    Well its a bit hard when ya try to hide who and where you are.. *;) 8-)

Vic or NSW.. There is more than one Surrey Hills...

If you update ya profile.. Others might be able to direct you to another CSér or find that a sponsor is close by... Yep... There the ones just over ther on the left..

KJM

Quote Originally Posted by 5C595A4F4F5E49575E423B0 link=1275607778/3#3 date=1275613574
    I bought one from coffeeparts a long time ago for Silvia. If you grab a caliper and measure the top of the PF to the lugs, youll find it is just a tad skinnier than the Rancilio original. So when you snug it in, it doesnt push on the dented seal quite as hard as the original. So it leaks a bit.

I resolved this by the careful application of a slight amount of brute force ;) This works for me for the LM double basket, but not for the single basket which is also a hair skinnier. So the single leaks unless I really heave it hard.

Ive learnt to basically live with it. Compared to drinking crappy coffee, this is small beer ::)

/Kevin