Thread: Upgrading from EM6910 to Silvia?

Upgrading from EM6910 to Silvia?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

I found this site while searching for answers to the reliability issues with our EM6910. It is less than 3 years old, and has had the steam pump replaced twice, the collar replaced once, and has now gone back in because its leaking water from underneath. It started this when i came back from the last steam pump replacement, but Im not expecting the repairers to accept responsibility for it.

Im sick of it breaking down, Im sick of having to pay a fee up-front for warranty repairs (then having them come up with a reason not to refund it), and Im sick of being without coffee for up to 4 weeks when it does need repair. Ive done a fair bit of reading on CS, and it seems the general concensus is that the Silvia / Rocky combo is a good option.

Since we purchased the M6910 in 2007, we have been very happy with the quality of coffe it makes. We use supermarket coffee - usually 250gm pre-ground bricks from Woolies, and when used with the dual floor filter basket the result is (usually) a very nice coffee - better than many weve had from cafes, but not as good as the very good ones. We only drink lattes, so are making the same thing every time. The EM6910 guage sits at about the 1 oclock mark with the dual floor filter, and if the machine was reliable wed be happy to keep using it.

I have tried to use the single floor filter basket in the past, but havent been able to make a decent coffee - if I remember correctly it comes out with no creme and tastes like crap. I have no idea if the problem is related to the coffee we are using, the machine itself, or my technique. I suspect its a combination of all three. Im a bit worried that if I buy the Rancilio combo I may not be able to make a decent brew, and will be disappointed with the purchase. Hence this post, and a few questions:

A lot of people bag the supermarket coffee, but why? Is the grind wrong, or is it just the freshness of it that makes it sub-standard? Would I be able to make a half-decent esspresso with the Silvia using supermarket coffee, or is there a huge difference using fresh beans & grinding it myself as needed? Would anyone suggst we just buy a Silvia, and continue to use supermarket coffee?

Following on from this, how fresh should the beans be for optimum coffee? Do people realy buy fresh beans every few days? How quickly does the flavour start to degrade, and how much does it change? We are not (at this stage) looking for perfection, just a nice tasting coffee. Having said that we have paid for many coffees that we just didnt like at all, so we are a bit fussy.

Given my inability to make a decent esspresso using the single floor basket on the EM6910, how much of a learning curve will I have to make a decent shot on the Silvia? What will I have to do differently? Will I need a barista degree to drive it?

What is my EM6910 worth as a used machine - assuming its fixed this time?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,
    Geoff

Re: Upgrading from EM6910 to Silvia?

Hi,
    The freshness of the coffee makes a huge difference, At work we are supplied beans that usually are good for a day after that it is back to the dual floor.

At home I have gone through the quest for fresh beans and now roast them myself in the breadmaker.

As an experiment get some supermarket beans and some freshly roasted, and make a plunger/french press. you should see a bug difference, then if you can get some just roasted beans and try again. These will be gassy and not at their peak, but the plunger coffee will look like it has been carbonated. (Actually plunger is how I prefer freshly roasted beans)

soooo.... answering you question, if you are happy using the dual floor with supermarket coffee, then you may be better off with a cheaper machine. This method does produce a more consistent coffee with less skill.

Going for a grinder and fresh beans will give you, what I think is better coffee, but that is my opinion!

Cheers

KJM

Gday G-Dog.

As a Silvia owner, let me say that getting a decent shot out of it isnt that hard. There is only one little thing that makes Ms. Silvia a bit different (IMHO) and that is the depth of the shower screen. Which makes her a tiny bit sensitive to the load you put in the PF.

As said already though - youll get a stunning increase in coffee quality by going for beans + grinder. Youll more than double that by going for fresh beans...

Apropos the freshness, there is an oft quoted rule of 3s - ground coffee lasts for 3 minutes (I reckon it is more like 30 seconds, you can tell!); roasted beans last for 3 weeks. The rest of it is greens last for 3 years, but I think they go longer if you store them right.

My eldest daughter has a 6910. She thought shed been bought a dud - her coffee was horrible in comparison to the coffee she got at home. So I took the Rocky and some beans around. Instant gratification! I now roast her some each fortnight. She has also bought a grinder. The grinder alone made a big difference from the store ground.

I think the 100% truthful answer is replacing the 6910 with a Silvia wont change the taste of the coffee. Buying a good grinder and fresh beans WILL. As in make you wonder what youve been doing the last couple of years :o

If you do buy a Silvia, youll need to buy some baskets (or get them thrown in with the purchase). Synesso or La Marzocco baskets are the go. And always use the double basket - the singles are hard to get used to initially.

If you fill in the where you live bit of your profile, there might be a local snob who owns a Silvia whod be happy to show you and let you try! If youre in Adelaide, feel free to PM me.

/Kevin

Thanks for the replies.

Kevin, I assume from your answer that the standard basket that comes with the silvia is not as good as the aftermarket ones. Is the difference in the quality of the coffee or in how hard it is to use?
    I assume that all the mentioned baskets are single floor - is the Sunbeam the only machine that uses dual floor baskets?
    We only ever use the double basket - if we are only making one coffee we use a larger glass and a double shot.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 5238517A72150 link=1275790026/0#0 date=1275790025
    I found this site while searching for answers to the reliability issues with our EM6910. It is less than 3 years old, and has had the steam pump replaced twice, the collar replaced once, and has now gone back in because its leaking water from underneath. It started this when i came back from the last steam pump replacement, but Im not expecting the repairers to accept responsibility for it.
    Ive used a 6910 over the last 4 years and this is typical.
    Personally I dont think it will last much longer.

having to pay a fee up-front for warranty repairs *
    :o I find this incredible!

Im sick of being without coffee for up to 4 weeks when it does need repair
    Only 4 weeks? Lucky.

We use supermarket coffee - usually 250gm pre-ground bricks from Woolies, and when used with the dual floor filter basket the result is (usually) a very nice coffee *
    Thats because you havent tried better . . . yet!

I have tried to use the single floor filter basket in the past, but havent been able to make a decent coffee - if I remember correctly it comes out with no creme and tastes like crap. *
    Thats because its designed for use with freshly ground coffee, and thats not what youre using.

A lot of people bag the supermarket coffee, but why? Is the grind wrong, or is it just the freshness of it that makes it sub-standard? *
    Lack of freshness.

Would anyone suggst we just buy a Silvia, and continue to use supermarket coffee?
    NO!

Following on from this, how fresh should the beans be for optimum coffee? Do people realy buy fresh beans every few days? How quickly does the flavour start to degrade, and how much does it change? *
    Its all a matter of personal taste.
    I roast my own but occasionally buy from a few trusted sources.
    I prefer most of the coffees I like around the 7 day mark but they are drinkable a few days before and some time after but never last much longer as I dont buy or roast more than 500g at a time.

The flavour will change; how much depends on the particular coffee.
    Sometimes that change is another enjoyable part of the journey as the changes are not necessarily bad, just different.

Quote Originally Posted by 5238517A72150 link=1275790026/3#3 date=1275796753
    is the Sunbeam the only machine that uses dual floor baskets?
    No. A lot of the cheaper "appliances" do.

Quote Originally Posted by 6C6D6A270 link=1275790026/2#2 date=1275795841
    I think the 100% truthful answer is replacing the 6910 with a Silvia wont change the taste of the coffee.Buying a good grinder and fresh beans WILL.As in make you wonder what youve been doing the last couple of years
    Seconded. The cheap way to convince yourself theres a lot better coffee to be had is to buy a decent grinder and fresh beans.
    The 6910, when working, with fresh beans, is capable of making an excellent coffee.

P.S. Welcome to Coffee Snobs.

A_M

As per TG..

There are people who love the Silvia.. *Others hate the Sunbeam..

Fit for purpose.... *Never had a major problem with my EM6910 X 2 (home and work) - Minor issues were all user started.

1: From what has been posted and I have seen..

Service agents have a lot to answer for.. *Board jockies and no true understanding of the electronics and or mechanical issue at hand..

2: *Have recently seen a couple of OLD EM6900 with org collars... Thin and warn.. But OK.. *NO other faults.. Never really cleaned correctly and only one seal change..

3: *Steam issues ... *Cleaned / De scaled and all working.. One had lots of coffee fines in all the plumbing... BLIND filter... * User and Water..

I would not call going from an EM6910 to a Silvia as an upgrade..

Side step at level at best... *$200 for a boiler and dont get carried away with steam and or 4 or more shots in a row.... And temp surfing etc...

Fit for purpose... * Just be warned .. The EM6910 has spoilt you.. The next step is bigger than you think.

KJM

Quote Originally Posted by 5E345D767E190 link=1275790026/3#3 date=1275796753
    Thanks for the replies.

Kevin, I assume from your answer that the standard basket that comes with the silvia is not as good as the aftermarket ones. Is the difference in the quality of the coffee or in how hard it is to use?
    I assume that all the mentioned baskets are single floor - is the Sunbeam the only machine that uses dual floor baskets?
    We only ever use the double basket - if we are only making one coffee we use a larger glass and a double shot.
    Cheers
    Well, I got my Silvia from Chris (2mcm). He supplied bigger baskets. The Rancilio ones are incredibly small. The single would barely hold 7g. So the original equipment, while technically correct is insanely unforgiving (IMHO). A pair of Synesso baskets will set you back a whole $20 (again, unless the vendor chucks them in as part of the deal).

My "double" basket is actually a triple, I think. I dose it with 17 - 18g of coffee and it makes 2 KJM strength espressos.

I really think itd be worth your while ordering some brown beans from Andy or some other local trustworthy roastery and getting yourself a grinder. You could even cheap out and get a hand grinder (Hario or Kyocera) while you get it sorted. The 6910 does make a fine cup - as I said, one of my daughters has one. You might discover a new love of coffee! And then decide to spend on a better machine!

While everyone needs to discover this for themselves, the order of importance of things is: Fresh Coffee, Grinder, Person-who-knows-their-stuff and lastly the machine. I cant believe the difference grinders make!

/Kevin

Thanks for all the info - great site.

I think in my mind Im ready to change. Ill be happy to be able to make coffe as nice as we have now, without the reliablity hassles, so I think the Silvia is the go. With the grinder its about the max Im prepared to spend at the moment. Im just waiting to hear back from the repairer, but Im not going to spend much more on the 6910.

A couple of qs about the silvia, though - can it steam & make esspresso at the same time (I think the answer is no), and does it have a one button auto mode for esspresso like the 6910 (same answer I think). If not I assume you have to time the shot - how hard is this to get right?

Cheers again,
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by 6309604B43240 link=1275790026/7#7 date=1275874786
    A couple of qs about the silvia, though - can it steam & make esspresso at the same time (I think the answer is no), and does it have a one button auto mode for esspresso like the 6910 (same answer I think). If not I assume you have to time the shot - how hard is this to get right?
    Morning Geoff,
    I cant compare the Silvia to a Sunbeam never having owned the latter, however I can tell you that the Silvia is an easy to use well made machine that holds its resale value very well.

The Silvia cant steam and make espresso at the same time.

It doesnt have a one button auto mode.

Yep you need to time the shot, how difficult? nothing to it, just use your wrist watch or a small clock with a sweep second hand.

Despite posts to the contrary the Silvia is not a difficult machine to master, bit of a learning curve but a week will see you pulling pretty good shots.

As has been said before, if you dont have a fresh beans and a decent grinder you wont get decent results from any machine, supermarket and the term good coffee should never be used in the same sentence, it just dont happen.
    Perhaps buying a decent grinder would be a smart next move, I doubt a Silvia and coffee from the local Woolies will give you any improvement over the Sunbeam. :)

Good luck. :)

KJM

Quote Originally Posted by 704C455D48290 link=1275790026/8#8 date=1275878088

Yep you need to time the shot, how difficult? nothing to it, just use your wrist watch or a small clock with a sweep second hand.

Despite posts to the contrary the Silvia is not a difficult machine to master, bit of a learning curve but a week will see you pulling pretty good shots.

As has been said before, if you dont have a fresh beans and a decent grinder you wont get decent results from any machine, supermarket and the term good coffee should never be used in the same sentence, it just dont happen.
    Perhaps buying a decent grinder would be a smart next move, I doubt a Silvia and coffee from the local Woolies will give you any improvement over the Sunbeam. :)

Good luck. :)
    All 100% what I would say too. The timing though - you just count to 20 (slowly). Timing 20seconds (or 22 or 25 or whatever you think it should be) isnt hard.

But the fresh beans + grinder is super, super important. Stale beans will require a dust-like grind to get a 20 second (or whatever ::)) pour. And will taste like something brown which isnt coffee....

If I were advising someone on what to do, getting the fresh roast and a grinder would be #1. Then you can see what it should taste like. The 6910 will give you a perfectly good shot - I reckon a Silvia would be (marginally) better, but basically as good as youll get without laying down insane amounts of cash (KJM reveals him self as a cheapie here. No $3k HX machine! No $3k to spare!!....)

The other thing to do would be to trundle along to a proper coffee place. The site sponsors are a good place to start. You can try a coffee there or even get a demo of a domestic machine to see how different it is from what youre used to.

/Kevin

Having helped a friend or two out with their Sunbeams, I find that they are as stated fit for purpose and I can also attest to the china quality build and quality control. Despite propper care and use, both guys have had several part failures and experienced the boiled rice warranty.

I think the fit purpose largely being someone who only does a couple of shots in a milk drink a day (so as not to wear it out), moslty finds themselves pressed for time for making said milk drinks, isnt into espresso in a big way and has a small budget.

Despite some claims to the contrary to get the most out of one of these I found a warm up time in the same ball park as most other machines is actually required with only the steaming on demmand being the real time saver. (about 20 min or so)

With fiddling they produce ok shots. Only with forgiving beans can they produce something at best good not great. For this money you dont get great so thats fine.

Ive done a few comparisons with my back up Ikon to help a friend with some extraction issues he was trying to sort. We used it as its easy to pop in the car and is a peer in terms of limited shot potential for a benchmark. On back to back shots with as much fiddling as we could we found the Ikon cracking better flavoured doubles on more than one blend of fresh stuff. There was clearly some flavour missing and less clarity even after lots of shots worth of changes to the Sunbeam. The efforts definately werent wasted all the same with the 6910 doing miles better at the end. But, it was funny to find the Ikon budget special making a little better coffee. Again, not that either was great.

If Sunbeam/Breville could just ping something like the Ikon boiler in along with the steam thermo block you could have a real cracking budget machine.

I havent had a go at a Silvia but, it wouldnt suprise me if it made better espresso shots at all. It would certainly work better with a greater variety of beans than the 6910 if the Ikon is anything to go by.

Hope that helps add something. :)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 293E2D696A6B5B0 link=1275790026/10#10 date=1275901360
    I can also attest to the china quality build and quality control. Despite propper care and use, both guys have had several part failures and experienced the boiled rice warranty.

I think the fit purpose largely being someone who only does a couple of shots in a milk drink a day (so as not to wear it out), moslty finds themselves pressed for time for making said milk drinks, isnt into espresso in a big way and has a small budget.

Despite some claims to the contrary to get the most out of one of these I found a warm up time in the same ball park as most other machines is actually required with only the steaming on demmand being the real time saver. (about 20 min or so)

With fiddling they produce ok shots. Only with forgiving beans can they produce something at best good not great. For this money you dont get great so thats fine.
    Interesting... And open to debate any time..

As often said here... PEBFAG..

Reliability / build quality / Cost etc etc all have some interesting pro and cons..... *

Shot quality comes from the user.....

Quote Originally Posted by 293E2D696A6B5B0 link=1275790026/10#10 date=1275901360
    I havent had a go at a Silvia but, it wouldnt suprise me if it made better espresso shots at all. It would certainly work better with a greater variety of beans than the 6910 if the Ikon is anything to go by.
    Please explain this train of thought as to the beans being the critical factor in the manner and context your referring to.

I would like to know more of the wisdom and of teh beans your indicating as being special?

Quote Originally Posted by 69464F4D5A654946494F4D454D465C280 link=1275790026/11#11 date=1275904784
    Please explain this train of thought as to the beans being the critical factor in the manner and context your referring to.

I would like to know more of the wisdom and of the beans your indicating as being special?
    I dont think Ive got any wisdom to pass on with the beans bit, maybe I do? I kind of assume people find the same thing out over time using different beans.

Its probably the absence of special in the beans/blends. For some reason I find some beans are just more forgiving. In any combo of prep, pour and taste. I could put this down to different chemicals and bean structure that are responsible for the differences but, I wouldnt know where to point on that one. As an example I find that brazil pulped natural on bean bay to be relatively forgiving (also a bit boring by itself) despite machine. Drink it on a friends 6910, Ikon, ECM it all tastes pretty much the same.

When you talk about the cheapo devices they do it tough keeping stabillity in the physics happening where it should by comparison to something more commercial. The Sunbeam thermoblock is fighting against small thermal inertia and for what it is it does bloody well. From what I remember it was a tad cold blooded by comparison to the little Ikon in the shots we measured (we were trying to get it bang on). It took a bit longer to get where it needed in the temp during the pour every time. My guess is this is why acidity and intensity was down a little. The basket designs are totally different too and no doubt the pressure of extraction variables are there as well.

Youve got no worries getting shot qualtiy from the Sunbeam, relative to its limitations not mine or my friends. It gives as best it can and my friends are happy with that. Better than 90% of the cafes around at home is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. ;)

I probably made that as clear as mud ;D

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 594E5D191A1B2B0 link=1275790026/12#12 date=1275913870
    Youve got no worries getting shot qualtiy from the Sunbeam, relative to its limitations not mine or my friends. It gives as best it can and my friends are happy with that. Better than 90% of the cafes around at home is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

I probably made that as clear as mud
    Ya did a good job.. but.... Any number of assumptions and possible points that many would question...

Would suggest other than the Beans and the Grinder - you and ya friends are the the limitation..

Do not know of many systems, that can cost in excess of thousands; where teh user is NOT the limitation.... Other than super Autos... But then teh use caused teh problem by buying it ;)

EM6910 Vs Silvia... Fit for purpose and cost..

To teh OP - Have a read... A bit dated but on teh money.. No mention of issues as to what beans the machines can not manage.

http://www.coffeetamper.com.au/kb/reviews/sunbeam-silvia/

As someone who has done the opposite of what you are planning, and "side-graded" from Silvia to 6910, this is quite a tricky choice.

Having used both, apart from durability, I would choose the 6910 every time. It is very easy to use and I find the feedback you get from it makes fine tuning your grind/dose/tamp intuitive.

Others may have not had the problems I had with Ms Silvia, but in almost 12 months I was unable to consistently get grind/dose/tamp/TEMP all to align for decent espresso, which was very dis-heartening to be honest.

I got all of this sorted on the 6910 in under two weeks, and this has been consistent now for several months.

If you go for the Sylvia, make sure you do a search on "temperature surfing" and "PID", as you will eventually need to address temperature if you want properly good coffee. Maybe not a big deal in itself, but when combined with dose/grind you can easily wind up chasing your tail. Suggest you buy from a sponsor and get training included in the purchase.

Btw, Silvia has a small water tank (2L) and tiny drip tray (~600ml), so you will be for ever tending to both ;-)

Good luck with your decision!

Quote Originally Posted by 333435232329400 link=1275790026/14#14 date=1275973458
    Btw, Silvia has a small water tank (2L) and tiny drip tray (~600ml), so you will be for ever tending to both
    How big the Sunbeam ones.
    They dont appear much bigger.

Since we purchased the M6910 in 2007, we have been very happy with the quality of coffe it makes. We use supermarket coffee - usually 250gm pre-ground bricks from Woolies, and when used with the dual floor filter basket the result is (usually) a very nice coffee - better than many weve had from cafes, but not as good as the very good ones. We only drink lattes, so are making the same thing every time. The EM6910 guage sits at about the 1 oclock mark with the dual floor filter, and if the machine was reliable wed be happy to keep using it.
    Consider the Sylvia a SIDEgrade. If you have been using pressurized baskets, it will become a DOWNgrade.

Only with fresh beans and good technique will the sylvia be an UPgrade.

:)
    Sunbeam water tank is 3L, which doesnt seem much bigger, but it tends to last quite a bit longer without all the cooling flushes etc.

Not sure about the drip tray, but the Sunbeam is substantially bigger, and looks like it is meant to be there. As oppose to Silvia where the drip tray looks like an after thought! (My opinion only of course!)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 475850434E4B4F4F220 link=1275790026/16#16 date=1275975600
    Consider the Sylvia a SIDEgrade. If you have been using pressurized baskets, it will become a DOWNgrade.

Only with fresh beans and good technique will the sylvia be an UPgrade.
    And if ya use freesh coffee and good technique on the EM6910; even less of an upgrade / more side grade ;)..

Use *" supermarket coffee - usually 250gm pre-ground bricks from Woolies"and the Silvia will not provide what you expect..

As we all keep saying ... Tis the person between the floor and the group.. PBFAG *that makes the biggest difference - Assuming all things are equal.

If ya using stale beans etc then no machine will fully cater for it.. And all but a few users; will be able to adjust grind and tamp to simulate a good coffee..

Note: To me the biggest down fall is the 300ml boiler..

Temp surf / A double shot... / Steam milk for *Coffees... *and a quick steam purge... Maybe a clean of the group....

STOP !!!!!!! * * Prime or ya might burn the boiler out..

Prime, wait... temp surf... Pull two shots / flush / steam milk / purge

Prime, wait... temp surf... Pull two shots / flush / steam milk / purge

Any leaking or fail to Prime before or after ya session and there is a risk that the element will be done and dusted..

See it posted time and time again.. PS. Dont let ya flat mates or girl friend make a coffee on a Silvia when ya not at home.. Mate of mine has had 3 elements get destroyed this way... Over a short time..

He now takes his group with him... *But it did not stop the last burn out.. *They turned on and went looking... Could not find group.. Got distracted and went and did other things..

I understand the Apprentice in question was servilely beaten to within an inch of..... *Yep he paid in two ways for the *short coming... *Cash and some hard physical entertainment..

Not a CSér but bought from a CSér.. *OH... I also understand he is looking to upgrade *;D

I dont think one machine is better than the other, all down to preference. I have used the 6910 and it will kill me if I had to use it all the time. The Silva is much better so long as you are only making one or two cups at a time.

All I will say is the more money you throw at a machine, the more effortless coffee making (esp milk based) will be......

Williamstown, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I wish I had spent my $700 on a Silvia rather than my now defunct em6910.

In the short time i owned it, it leaked, the steam stopped working and finally the powerboard failed - all within 6 months of ownership and very little use.

Sunbeam are famous for their appalling after service - they referred me to a service agent who (without even seeing the machine) told me that the fault wouldnt me covered by warranty as it was a result of cockroaches nesting in my machine.

I sold the machine as a non working unit for $100. So I loose $600 for the pleasure.

The sunbeam grinder I bought with it lasted 2 weeks. Sunbeam actually did replace this.

id really have a think about the long term value of buying this brand before outlaying some hard earned cash ( I wish I had of ). An extra $200 spent on a quality machine might mean an extra 5 years enjoyment.

Based on my personal experience only of course.

Quote Originally Posted by 3E252433727A78724A0 link=1275790026/20#20 date=1276005044

In the short time i owned it, it leaked, the steam stopped working and finally the powerboard failed - all within 6 months of ownership and very little use.

Sunbeam are famous for their appalling after service *- they referred me to a service agent who (without even seeing the machine) told me that the fault wouldnt me covered by warranty as it was a result of cockroaches nesting in my machine.

I sold the machine as a non working unit for $100. So I loose $600 for the pleasure.

The sunbeam grinder I bought with it lasted 2 weeks. Sunbeam actually did replace this.

id really have a think about the long term value of buying this brand before outlaying some hard earned cash ( I wish I had of ). An extra $200 spent on a quality machine might mean an extra 5 years enjoyment.

I had the opposite experience Tony, bought a Silvia in 2001 and sold it a few months ago (after 9 trouble free years) for $50 less than what I originally paid for it, the new owner is delighted.
    For what its worth I never found the size of the drip tray or water tank to be a problem.
    Not much comfort to you I know, but thought it may be helpful to others contemplating buying a machine or an appliance. :)

brett230873

Quote Originally Posted by 68545D4550310 link=1275790026/21#21 date=1276031199
    Quote Originally Posted by 3E252433727A78724A0 link=1275790026/20#20 date=1276005044

Sunbeam are famous for their appalling after service *- they referred me to a service agent who (without even seeing the machine) told me that the fault wouldnt me covered by warranty as it was a result of cockroaches nesting in my machine.

I had the opposite experience Tony, bought a Silvia in 2001 and sold it a few months ago (after 9 trouble free years) for $50 less than what I originally paid for it, the new owner is delighted.
    For what its worth I never found the size of the drip tray or water tank to be a problem.
    Not much comfort to you I know, but thought it may be helpful to others contemplating buying a machine or an appliance. :) *
    I had pretty much the same experience as Jon with my Silvia which had heavy use for 10 years. Bit of rust under the drip tray cut out and repaired at about year 5 and sold it for $450 (purchased 1998 for $679) to a nice couple who had a revolving door of superautomatics and were coming to the end of their warranty period. Others should be aware however that I did maintain my machine properly despite heavy usage. All the best!

Quote Originally Posted by 2F3F2839397F7E7D757A7E4D0 link=1275790026/22#22 date=1276032196
    Others should be aware however that I did maintain my machine properly despite heavy usage.
    Likewise, oh and after 9 years not a trace of rust, perhaps because we lived in the desert. :)

I had a Quaha/Lelit before the Silvia. I actually made money on that after two years. I recently sold my Silvia and after 6 years lost $200. Go buy a near new Silvia and you wont lose much.

Quote Originally Posted by 6C786B64606B6F0A0 link=1275790026/24#24 date=1276043026
    I recently sold my Silvia and after 6 years lost $200.
    Sounds like someone got a bargain ;) unless there was something wrong with it. :)

Quote Originally Posted by 254F260D05620 link=1275790026/0#0 date=1275790025
    Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,
    Geoff *
    Gday Geoff
    one thing you havent mentioned is your cleaning regime. *when I did the sunbeam course (twice for two sunbeam machines I had), they emphasised the benefits of backflushing with water every day, and with chemicals every couple of weeks. *The same was recommended when I bought my HX machine, and given the cost of the machine, Ive tried to stick to that practice. *I was never as consistent with cleaning the Sunbeam and Im pretty sure that contributed to the problems it had. *Regular cleaning and descaling is critically important, and neglected by many machine owners.
    Another issue that comes up a lot is the steam performance dropping off over time on the Sunbeam. *my brother recently bought a new EM6910 to replace his 3yo broken one, and saw a huge difference in steam power. *contrary to the sunbeam manual, you probably need to descale the steam side of things as well as the brew path - theres a few posts on here recommending that you might do it outside to avoid breathing in steamed descaler solution - but it apparently fixes that issue.
    After several years using my old Sunbeam, Id reckon your next step as an upgrade would be a HX machine, where youre looking at $1500+ for a second hand machine, or $2k+ new. *you get to keep features such as being able to brew and steam at the same time. *keep in mind that a second hand hx machine only costs about what you would have spent on a sunbeam + silvia, and will last for many years with proper maintenance. *When I bought the sunbeam I considered a hx to be out of reach but really, given how long it will last, it may not end up costing much more at all in the long run. *If youre not following the recommended cleaning practice, Id fix the Sunbeam and try it for a while to see if its better.
    Another thing that has been mentioned over and over in this thread is that you MUST use a grinder and fresh beans if you want good coffee. *it is simply not optional. *sure you get coffee with supermarket pre-ground beans, but youll never get good coffee that way.
    fresh beans will likely cost you no more than your supermarket ones. *youll probably find that there is a roaster somewhere near you, or a cafe that sells fresh beans from the roaster they use, or otherwise even a postal service. *I use all three of those options and pay around $8 to $10 per 250g for coffee roasted within about 3 days or so of when I buy it. *To get it cheaper, I normally buy 1kg at a time that lasts around 3 weeks, but if youre not using that much, 500g at a time would do.
    hope that helps.

Geoff