Thread: sunbeam em6910 burnt coffee

sunbeam em6910 burnt coffee

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Ok I know when you pour a shot if it smells like a dirty ashtray the coffee is burnt, or the group head has been sat too long in the machine before it is poured.
    I *run a double shot measure of just water through the head before I pour one with coffee in it. (I still have the plastic part in the bottom). because of this am I heating the head too much?
    Also I use fresh coffee, I buy from a place that roasts their own and have a high turnover,and sometimes the pour looks too dark and pours a little too fast for my liking. I dont think its the grind as I get a good cake that comes away *at the end, and because its pouring fast I dont think it is getting burnt as its pouring.
    I must admit I have not watched the DVD yet *:-[
    I still have the settings as the machine came from the factory.
    The coffee doesnt taste too bad, just a little bitter, not nice and smooth full flavour, and I know it could taste heaps better.
    I have a milk thermometer and use that so I know I am not heating the milk up too much.
    Any idea what it could be?

Re: sunbeam em6910 burnt coffee

Quote Originally Posted by 5D504545546E5658435D310 link=1275795937/0#0 date=1275795937
    I still have the plastic part in the bottom
    We call it a "graeme".
    All sorts of stuff can grow underneath it.
    Some of that stuff may taste ashy.

Quote Originally Posted by 5D504545546E5658435D310 link=1275795937/0#0 date=1275795937
    because of this am I heating the head too much?
    I doubt it.
    How long do you let the machine warm up before making your coffee?

Also I use fresh coffee, I buy from a place that roasts their own and have a high turnover
    A high turnover in the shop doesnt guarantee freshness.

the pour looks too dark and pours a little too fast for my liking
    I get this look sometimes from stale coffee.

Where are you?
    (Please update your profile with location.

Hi,
    I have taken out the graeme, to my surprise it was all clean underneath, but I have decided to leave it out.
    I have watched the dvd and that coffee is pouring a lot slower than mine so I reckon I had better adjust the grind, but then I am thinking if the coffee is going to come through even slower it will smell even more burnt.
    When hubby is away I will have a little play with the settings and check times and measurements of pours too.
    I heat the machine for only about 5 mins after the lights come on.
    I am in Albury NSW the place I get the coffee from roasts their own but I am not impressed really, the bean is realy dark but I thought thats because I asked for a strong coffee.
    I know they supply a lot of businesses around here so maybe its just their coffee, and that I may have to try maybe a milder smoother blend.
    I remember when I lived in Brisvagas I did the barista course and he made us put the group head of coffee in the machine but left if a few mins before pressing the button and that is when we got the dirty ashtray smell. if we inserted the head and pressed straight away there was no burnt smell, only the lovely aroma of good coffee.
    Also I remember him saying if the coffee comes through too slow it could have the same effect.
    So I am thinking I may have to change the temp of the water or maybe change coffee.
    It bad here though as you have not got the suppliers of good fresh coffee like in the cities :(

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 525F4A4A5B6159574C523E0 link=1275795937/2#2 date=1276480651
    I get the coffee from roasts their own but I am not impressed really, the bean is realy dark but I thought thats because I asked for a strong coffee.
    Strong in Caffeine or Strong in flavour ... Dark is not always Strong as Strong is not Strong (Context)..

Quote Originally Posted by 525F4A4A5B6159574C523E0 link=1275795937/2#2 date=1276480651
    I remember when I lived in Brisvagas I did the barista course and he made us put the group head of coffee in the machine but left if a few mins before pressing the button and that is when we got the dirty ashtray smell. if we inserted the head and pressed straight away there was no burnt smell, only the lovely aroma of good coffee.

Also I remember him saying if the coffee comes through too slow it could have the same effect.
    So I am thinking I may have to change the temp of the water or maybe change coffee.
    The head temp etc on teh EM6910 will never relay BURN.... Unless you fill and tamp and then leave teh group in for SOME TIME..

1: Do a proper clean - follow teh manual..

2: Clean ya shower head and shower screen...

3: Look at changing ya grind / tamp / Dose level

But only adjust one thing at a time.. And try it a few times B4 going to change something else..

Gut feel is Dirty machine Vs Coffee Vs User... But leaning towards the first two.

4: After ya light come on... Let it sit for 5 to 10.. WITH THE Group handle LIGHTLY inserted...

Grind / dose / Tamp and run ya shot... Stop it early if going Blond and watery ;)

Remove Group and dump teh puck... Then Flush and wipe teh group head and clean teh basket....

Let us know how ya go...

Hi thanks for your help.
    I cleaned the machine (only with water though as I havnt been able to get the tablets yet). It was pretty clean so that was good.
    I measured the pours before I started, and the single shot was about 50 to 60 ml of coffee and the double about 90ml !
    So much for the factory setting of 30 and 60 I had a laugh.
    So it looked like it was pouring too long and getting that blond and watery stuff.
    I have re programmed it to pour at 30 an 60 ml.
    Have not timed the shots yet just going buy what I can see and smell.
    It smells heaps better now the ashtray smell has gone, there is a very slight grainy look on top but nothing too bad.
    The espresso gauge is in the brown colour.
    The pour is a rich dark colour which turns redish then honey and then stops before the blonde colour comes through.
    I could maybe adjust the grind 1 click finer as on the sunbeam video it showed not a constant pour but a slight stop start or a bit more of a drip sort of pour and said something about it bouncing back up, but I will pour a few shots at this first as I always thought it should be a slow thick constant pour.

Quote Originally Posted by 0D001515043E0608130D610 link=1275795937/4#4 date=1276921409
    I measured the pours before I started, and the single shot was about 50 to 60 ml of coffee and the double about 90ml !
    So much for the factory setting of 30 and 60 I had a laugh.
    Theres a clue....

Never use the programmed shots - you need to control the shot not some unreliable timer *>:(

Use the manual button and aim for a double pour of 60ml.

On my 6910 I stop when blonding starts and this gives me around 50mls total in about 30-35 seconds.

I use a 22gm dose and the puck is dry and firm and the coffee is great *;D

Dont forget - you must up-dose (not overdose) the EM6910.