Thread: First machine and grinder

First machine and grinder

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi CSers,

Found the site while doing some research into buying my first decent coffee machine. *Lots of great information and advice in here so I thought Id post my thoughts on what machine Im thinking of buying and get some feedback from people whove been where I currently am. *Im looking at a total budget of $1200 - $1500 for both grinder and machine.

From reading the forums it seems the Silvia/Rocky combo is the most popular amongst those entering coffee snobbery. *I see the LeLit mentioned as a decent machine but the idea of having the grinder combined with the espresso machine (Combi) doesnt appeal to me. *More parts that could potentially malfunction resulting in the entire machine having to go into service. *Theres always the PL041 but the issue of the 57mm group/portafilter basket size and slightly poorer water distribution across the showerscreen rules it out[1].

Im happy enough to stay away from EM6910 as I prefer to get a machine from a company that makes espresso machines instead of one that makes kitchen appliances. *No judgment on the EM6910 owners though - Im sure it makes a decent cup of coffee. *The v2 of this machine seems pretty solid as well.

One final note on the machine. *I came across a comment[2] from Chris the other day and wonder if I should hold off the purchase for a while. *Anybody else got any idea what it might be?

Moving to the topic of the grinder. *This is probably the place where there seems to be the most variability. *The Rocky gets a good mention but is there any reason to go for the doserless vs w/ doser? *Id assume the doserless version makes more mess. *Theyre the same price on Di Bartoli. *Ive read enough to rule out the Sunbeam 0450/0480. *Im sure you can make them work and get results but the tinkering over time doesnt appeal. *I ran across someone mentioning the Anfim Best (ECM Best) the other day as well. Any good?

This is quite a long first post so Ill tie it up here. *Thanks if youve read this far and happy to take suggestions ideas.

[1] mod edit- non sponsor URL removed
    [2] http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1270809869/13#13

Re: First machine and grinder

Quote Originally Posted by 392B242D2F3E224A0 link=1276145631/0#0 date=1276145631
    I came across a comment[2] from Chris the other day and wonder if I should hold off the purchase for a while.Anybody else got any idea what it might be?
    No and No (go read the update).

Quote Originally Posted by 392B242D2F3E224A0 link=1276145631/0#0 date=1276145631
    The Rocky gets a good mention but is there any reason to go for the doserless vs w/ doser?
    Im not experienced with the Rocky to answer that question specifically but I think if you search this site you will find the pros and cons regarding the Rocky.

As for doser vs doserless generically, I say the doserless does not give you as much versatility.

Cheers for the feedback Thundergod. A bit more searching/reading around the forums suggests the Anfim Best is probably out my price range[1].

Still poking around for a thread on doser v doserless grinders and the pros and cons of the Rocky. I found a few articles where people were expressing frustration in having to stand holding the portafilter for the duration of the grind on a doserless model. Additionally, there were issues with clumping and general mess. Id assume on the doser models, though, theres more to clean to ensure no old grinds remain in the machine - ready to fall into the next batch and affect the quality of the shot.

[1] http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1245668769

$1k>$1500 coffee machine help ;)

Gday everyone,

Sorry I am new here, I have gone through the forums but cannot find what I am looking for.

I have between $1k and $1500 to spend on a machine, I am pretty new to making my own coffee but am pretty picky with my purchases :) I am after a machine that also has a built in grinder (or a deal that might came with one as a pack).

Do you have any recommendations? I will need a steamer for milk, I love a piccolo latte and espressos but my mrs loves mochas and lattes.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    w0mbat
    BTW - Single Origin Roasters and Le Monde in Surry Hills NSW are my favs!

Welcome "w0mbat".... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Best thing mate, would be to use the contact all Site Sponsors link at the bottom of the Site Sponsor list on the L/H side of the page and then see where that takes you.... :)

Cheers mate,
    Mal.

Hi all, Ive been hit with upgraditis and I really feel like buying a new machine/grinder. ;D

Initially, I really liked the look of the Breville Fresca as I like the inbuilt grinder. Then I read about the Lelit Combi which really caught my attention!

What do you guys/gals recommend? Would it be better to get a machine and grinder separately? Silvia / EM6910 / PL041 & Rocky / EM0450 / others?

I currently own a Sunbeam Risttetto, with a BLADE grinder so anything will be a major upgrade!! Im only looking to spend $500-$1000.

Cheers,

coffeevic

If the Sunbeam is working fine I recommend spending your money on a good grinder.
    If you buy well youll never need another grinder, which will save you money in the long run.

A better grinder will give you better coffee than what youre getting with that blade thingy.

Later, when you can afford a new machine, your grinder will already be good enough for it.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 033F2239333225303833570 link=1276145631/6#6 date=1278132471
    If the Sunbeam is working fine I recommend spending your money on a good grinder.
    If you buy well youll never need another grinder, which will save you money in the long run.

A better grinder will give you better coffee than what youre getting with that blade thingy.

Later, when you can afford a new machine, your grinder will already be good enough for it.
    DITO with feeling

Yup, what TG said.
    The Ristretto is not a *bad* machine--its not in the same *badness* class as your ?grinder? by a long shot.

Greg

Ok, thanks guys.

So dont go the machine/grinder combo?

You could but if one part goes in for repair the other part goes with it.

A Lelit Combi is a machine/grinder option.

Depending on where you are (please update your profile with your location) you could talk to Talk Coffee or cuppacoffee about one.

Quote Originally Posted by 3B373E3E3D3D2E313B580 link=1276145631/9#9 date=1278241996
    So dont go the machine/grinder combo?
    Quote Originally Posted by 0C302D363C3D2A3F373C580 link=1276145631/10#10 date=1278247450
    You could but if one part goes in for repair the other part goes with it.
    Just my observations and experience...

a) In the unlikely event that a machine needs to be repaired, its true, being integrated means you would be without both parts

b) Most repairs/service take a couple of days - not weeks (unless its a Sunbeam or other appliance)

c) Not many people have a spare grinder or spare machine if one or the other is away for repair/service

d) Most people who have either a machine or grinder in for repair forego making coffee at home while said machine or grinder are in for repair/service

Sorry, updated my profile. Im from Perth.

Should have said earlier, but Im not a hardcore drinker. Maybe once a day and for entertaining, and always with milk.

I really enjoy making coffee thats why I feel like upgrading to a machine that would give me that real barista sensation and makes a killer coffee to boot.

Cheers,

coffeevic

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 525E57575454475852310 link=1276145631/12#12 date=1278309245
    Sorry, updated my profile. Im from Perth.

Should have said earlier, but Im not a hardcore drinker. *Maybe once a day and for entertaining, and always with milk.

I really enjoy making coffee thats why I feel like upgrading to a machine that would give me that real barista sensation and makes a killer coffee to boot.

Cheers,

coffeevic
    Hi mate,

I see youre in Perth. If you want to have a look at some of our coffee machines, were on the corner of Scarborough Beach Road and Loftus street. Feel free to walk in and have a coffee :)